Skip to content

Discuss This Is the new Honda CBR600 worthy of the name? First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > Is the new Honda CBR600 worthy of the name?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Phil West  says:

Is the new Honda CBR600 worthy of the name?

Honda's new-for-2011 CBR600F brings an iconic name back to the middleweight class – but does it live up to its illustrious forbears? Where the original CBRs were market-leading supersports in their own right, the new version has already come in for some stick for being essentially a mildly tweaked and facelifted existing old model – the Hornet CB600F. And while the originals...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (16 June 2011 10:11)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
rlf3

Jan 10

rlf3 says:

The times they are a changin

When the first CBR came out it was a road bike which got used for racing.

It was Honda's only four cylinder 600cc bike.

Things have moved on.

Nowadays the market is confused with an assortment of 600cc options.

Is the new CBR a good road bike?

In many ways a CBF is better.

Is the new CBR a good race/track day bike?

No, the RR is better.

As I see it, the new CBR is designed for someone who wants a sub-standard road bike that can't race.

If that's what you want, go for it.

Reply to this Topic
evilamnesiac

Oct 05

evilamnesiac says:

WTF are you on about rlf?

By your logic everyone should ride either full on track only race bikes, or full on tourers. neither of which the CBF excels at by the way. Most bikers only get one bike, so its a jack of all trades and master of none. how is that such a terrible thing? the original CBR600F wasn't popular because of its track focus, is was popular because it could do a little of everything. is the RR a good choice for someone with average build? no its too small, is the cbf a good choice for someone looking to ride two up? not really, its not powerful enough. every bike we buy is a compromise in some respect. it doesn't make it a bad bike.

Reply to this Topic
rlf3

Jan 10

rlf3 says:

Powah!

The CBF has got plenty for two-up touring.

I've toured two-up extensively through Europe on lower powered machinery and it wasn't a problem.

News just in, the CBF will easily exceed the speed limit uphill with rider, pillion and luggage.

And that is all you need.

Reply to this Topic
evilamnesiac

Oct 05

evilamnesiac says:

Powah!... isn't the issue.

Have you ridden a CBF600 two up for any distance? Its a fantastic bike, but whether you accept it or not, its a touch underpowered for two up riding with luggage, you have to work the engine quite hard. Your idea that simply exceeding the speed limit is all you need is the sort of bunkum internet forums are awash with. A CB250 will exceed the speed limit, a 1.0L car will exceed the speed limit, would you consider either of them underpowered? 99% of people would. Power doesn't equate to top speed and visa versa.

Reply to this Topic
Mikeyy

Oct 10

Mikeyy says:

I see it as the CBF as your practical bike for communiting were ever it be for work in London or not and the RR as the complete opposite as a pure sports/race bike so for me the CBR is the Honda that strikes between the both offering the practicality and also some sporty feel for the weekend and i personaly think its great that theres bikes out there that offers that as many of us want something thats cheaper than a sportbikes on insurance and petrol etc... which can still give us the enjoyment of riding wether it be touring or going for a blast.

The Suzuki SV650 kinda reminds me of this bike in a way that its a succesful club racing bike yet its great for riding on the roads for what ever your needs are.

Reply to this Topic
qinqinbaobei

Jun 11

qinqinbaobei says:

brands online

Welcome to: shoppong cheap brands online June Surprises continued.Gift Non-stop.New stock constantly!Come on, dress up! Father's Day purchase, enjoy 20% discount, act now! Fashion Week, the time discount of brand and enjoy the surprises from the cheap Cheapest (TOP) Ni ke,A ir M ax, Jord an (1-24) s ho es $ 3 1

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

The commute to london....

Erm hello , the mass majority of Brits actually live well away from the Cesspit of greed otherwise Known as the multi cultural capital of a once great country AKA London. Yes and before all the Dinosaur comments arrive They rulled for Tens of millions of years untill a passing Hunk of rock decided to land and spoil their day.

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

CBR??

It's a Honda. It's bland and soulless. But it's good at what it does. So YES, I reckon it IS a CBR...

Reply to this Topic
fuzzrr

Sep 06

fuzzrr says:

Over the years I have owned a '95cbr6, the 2001 cbr 'sport' and the RR.  They are anything but souless with a few thought out mods. And they certainly helped me hone my skills along the years. (I'll also be racing a '97 model this year).

If you are new to biking, then yeah, I can see the appeal. A sort of sporty bike that should do everything with ease. What is not to like?

But if you have been riding for many years, and have, in effect, been brought up with the different generations of CBR's, then no. This does not fall worthy of the name.

This bike IS a Hornet with a fairing slapped on it. Same forks, frame, engine and exhaust.  It would have been more befitting to leave the CBR name where it was until they could be bothered to make something new, and should have called this the Hornet 'R'.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle