Skip to content

Discuss This Drivers urged to look for bikers at junctions General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Drivers urged to look for bikers at junctions

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Drivers urged to look for bikers at junctions

Drivers will be urged to look out for motorcyclists at junctions in a Government bid to cut casualties. Road Safety Minister Mike Penning has today launched a new campaign aimed at getting drivers to think more about riders. The message will be pushed through advertisements at petrol forecourts and on national radio. The Department for Transport (DfT) says action is needed because 78%...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (17 June 2011 07:47)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
JTceltic

Jul 09

JTceltic says:

Will it make a difference?

I'm not so sure that safety campaigns and driver education campaigns will really make that much of a difference. The problem is everyone thinks they're a good driver and as much as these campaigns and ads can raise awareness of a problem, they probably won’t solve it. A major problem is the commonly held perception that riders are willingly putting themselves at greater danger by choosing two wheels over four; so a motorcycle accident injury or death is always tinged with a sense of “they had it coming” and the car driver that causes the accident probably isn’t vilified as much as they should be (outside of the biker community). I think that much tougher penalties i.e. long jail sentences for those carelessly pulling-out and injuring/killing riders is the only real deterrent, and a few big sentences to shock the media would probably do a world of good in the long run.

Reply to this Topic
mogulthrash

Dec 10

mogulthrash says:

the horn

My siebel horn is loud enough to make any twat look. I use it any time of the day. All campaigns are good. If I get any more, I'll get two damn horns. If that fails, then its time for bike-to-car missiles.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

Oh I thought all bikers accidents were due to speed....... Silly me.

Reply to this Topic
sgom

Jan 11

sgom says:

car drivers

it wont make any difference to most older drivers but they should make anyone wanting to sit a car test have to do a CBT first, and also anyone who gets a ban, it would raise awareness of saftey and introduce more people to biking

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

hey Mogalthrash, we used to be able to blip the throttle on our rather noisy bikes, that made them look, now we have to be very quiet incase we wake them up (at junctions).

Reply to this Topic
mogulthrash

Dec 10

mogulthrash says:

noise is good

Good call mate. At about 5,000 rpm through town mine is loud enough to be heard. Problem is though that some old gits are not only deaf, they also wear dark glasses for their cataract-ridden tunnel-vision view of the world. I wonder why folk who can see f-all are allowed to drive.

Reply to this Topic
CBR11X

Sep 10

CBR11X says:

DRIVERS HAVE ENOUGH ON THEIR PLATE!

Mogulthrash, missiles, nice one! Drivers are urged to show common decency and skills whilst driving. I personally  think they are asking too much. What with the mobile phones, air conditioners, radios, stereos, make up to put on and the throbbing hangovers, drivers have enough on their plates; do they expect them to pay attention and control their vehicles with skill also? Come on get real!

Reply to this Topic
YORKSHIRE1003

Apr 11

Common sense!!?

Hahaa, too late for me anyway. Oh and she pulled out of a private nursery in a Merc but I was after a different bike anyway so she did me a favor in a way... the silly cow

Reply to this Topic
oceaa

Dec 08

oceaa says:

Look Look Look

Teaching drivers to scan would be a good start. there is a science to looking, as we dont see all that is in front of our eyes. As a Motorcyclist or Pilot you learn to scan as it is key to survival. Car driving has a lower threshold requirement in order to obtain a license and the car driver is isolated from the environment. I recently was in a group of bikers when a woman driver pulled across 2 lanes immediately in front of 3 of our group she couldnt have looked the road was full of bike headlights one of the bikers was killed she sufered a punctured lung and was lucky her children in the car werent killed or maimed, the biker hit the b pillar at about 50mph (the speed limit) a foot either way and he would have entered their protected environment. These kind of horrors need to be put on TV as shock is effective but needs to be combined with long term plan to educate. She is unlikely to suffer more than a slap on the wrist and a fine though the personal experience of killing someone may be punishment enough for her it sends out the wrong message. The trauma some of the other bikers suffered as a result will be with them for a long time and in the case of my girlfriend has had a very negative impact on her riding her bike though she is trying to get over it and still riding.

Reply to this Topic
svgirly

Feb 11

svgirly says:

If drivers are only

going to start looking for bikers because they are being told to in advertising campaigns then we are all f****d.

It's what they should be doing :huh::huh::huh:

Won't make any difference to the imcompetent, careless drivers out there...how will it???

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices