Skip to content

Ask an Expert HID headlamp conversion kit-legal? Legal

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Legal > HID headlamp conversion kit-legal?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

barnstormer1

Jun 11

barnstormer1 says:

HID headlamp conversion kit-legal?

I know that DfT/Vosa are clamping down on aftermarket HID headlamp fitments on cars which will result in Mot failure.

I want to fit an aftermarket HID to my bike to wake up the dozy car drivers-does anybody who is a mot tester or similar know the current legal position on this? Presumably I would have to tell the insurance company who will probably want to charge me more premium for making myself more visible.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (19 June 2011 12:11)

Post a message in Legal

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

HID

I have read that they are illegal on bikes.  Apparently, this is because there is a slight delay while the system 'charges' before illuminating the bulb.  Therefore, when changing from dipped to full beam there is a short space where you have no light.  I think there is also an issue about self-leveling to prevent dazzling on coming vehicles.

Reply to this Topic
topgun44

Dec 08

topgun44 says:

hid kit

i have hid kits on my bikes for last 5/6 years know pass mot

and they are best mod you can do to any bike :biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

HIDs

They are just as illegal as small number plates, loud cans and speeding.:biggrin::biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
triumphrider600

Feb 09

they are

illegal 'technically' as if fitted at the factory they are self levelling, which would be bulky on a bike. However there is a small loophole in the MOT regs. Bikes will pass with aftermarket HID's as the regs state use for cars only.

I've run them for about 6 years on all my bikes, never had an MOT issue. Best mod I've ever done. I've ridden on a police bikesafe and the whole of my advanced ticket was done with them fitted, without mention.
If you are lucky enough to have H4 bulbs then the transition from dip to full beam is instant as a solenoid moves a sliding cap to expose the full length of the bulb, as on my 955i. However my RT uses H7 and H3 bulbs so I have used dip only as Marcus states it takes too long for full beam to warm up.

Tom

Reply to this Topic
Andy949494

Feb 08

Andy949494 says:

well...

They are considered by the DVLA to be "likely to be illegal" (my translation) because they are a modification to a light system that is approved and so are likely to render the light unapproved. (the problem is that the bulb is not the same shape as it is designed for). There was a link to the opinion in a previous thread.
However this is currently untested in law and there are many bikers with them so a lot of MOT stations, police etc don't appear anxious to try the law since it would be expensive and possibly not good use of money time etc since the biker is trying to be noticed and be safe....
The extra brightness on dip is useful particularly when filtering (I have H7s). However I don't know if I would bother with the upgrade if I didn't have it - you can buy a high brightness bulb instead which are fairly good and which are much cheaper (easier to fit too)...
You do need to tell your insurance company about a HID conversion (or anything else for that matter) but most are cool with it and don't charge extra. Give them a call first:smile

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices