Skip to content

Ask an Expert cbr600f direct air injection (DAI) Technical

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > cbr600f direct air injection (DAI)

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

ianp5uk

Aug 07

ianp5uk says:

cbr600f direct air injection (DAI)

I have a CBR600F that I'm stripping to use as a trackday bike. What is the DAI (Direct Air Injection) all about? What's it for and how does it work?

The manual says it switches air flow above 12mph so is it safe to remove the solenoid valve and permanently connect it in the above 12mph mode or will it be problematic? Is it some emissions thing that can be completely removed?

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (20 June 2011 08:35)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Honda CBR 600F???year?model?

What model?carb or injection?

Reply to this Topic
ianp5uk

Aug 07

ianp5uk says:

1997 F3 or FV model i.e. Carb.

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Honda CBR 600 FV 1997

Hi Ian

It sound like you have an American import and a California bike at that?.If it is then yes all the stuff you see is for emissions,and yes you can junk it all.The only problem i can think of is the cylinder head will need blanking plates to stop the exhaust gases after you remove the air injection pipes from under the exhaust ports.Standard bike,s just have ram air,as yours will as well so don't go scraping any of that will you:shock:Good Luck

KCMC:tongue:

Reply to this Topic
Amateurcynic

Jun 09

Amateurcynic says:

D.A.I

Was Hondas typical response to the ZX6 r's "Ram Air". Typical in they over-engineered a solution to something simple, it basically allows the airbox to become pressurised and so help force the fuel/air mix into the chamber so increasing power. It does make a difference, I had CBR 6's both without it and with it (FP & FW). It was introduced to either the '96 or '97 model onwards and wasn't anything to do with emissions as far as I'm aware. As for the solenoid, haven't the foggiest sorry!! :blink: I'm guessing it would be be ok but why bother? Try some of the racing websites, there were a lot of them CBR's on the track so there's bound to be an answer out there somewhere, happy riding!

Reply to this Topic
ianp5uk

Aug 07

ianp5uk says:

Started pulling it apart. The solenoid is missing and the low speed circuit is open to the air with no filter! :shock:. Mind you the main air filter had a tear as well.

My question is now getting specific. I just need to know if the low speed is still in operation at high speed and additive or should be shut off. 

I'll check the racing sites, that's a good idea - any suggestions for url?

Reply to this Topic
fuzzrr

Sep 06

fuzzrr says:

I'll get back to you on this one Ian.

I used to have a '95 CBR6 which had the intakes removed, and the '97 racebike I got now also has had it done.

I think the reasoning behind it was that in the event of a spill, and some part of it getting damaged, the bike wouldn't run properly. And as the bike was being used on track, it didnt serve much purpose anyway. I will try and see whats been done and get a few pictures up for you. I do know that most of the pipe work around the airbox area stays in place, and only a few components are removed. At this moment though I couldn't accuratly say what, as I have not done it myself.

Reply to this Topic
ianp5uk

Aug 07

ianp5uk says:

CBR600F3 DAI

fuzzrr,

Thanks that would be really helpful. 

My bike is an abandoned trackday project I got cheap so I'm trying to get it setup. The side vents have been removed already like yours. The RHS pickup from the ram-air is in place and feeding the high speed input bleed but the low speed is just open which I know is wrong as it should at least be filtered. I can't tell from the manual's description of the missing valve's operation if this low speed feed should be blanked off for track use or I should provide it with an air supply - filtered of course! I.e. is low and high speed additive at high speed or do they toggle?

A little worried as it might make a big difference to mixture at high speed.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
fuzzrr

Sep 06

fuzzrr says:

Got a bit more info.

The servo works off the speedo. So if the speedo was to get damaged or taken off then the servo wouldn't work. I was informed that when the speedo got to around 80mph it would open the air flow up.

What I can make out is you take off the pipes at the front and follow them to the servo. Disconnect them there and remove the servo completely, then join the two disconnected pipes together. All the other pipe work stays in place.

Hope this helps.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices