Skip to content

Discuss This Ducati to roll out radical new bike in Assen MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Ducati to roll out radical new bike in Assen

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Ducati to roll out radical new bike in Assen

Ducati has confirmed it will roll out a radical new bike for Valentino Rossi in Assen this weekend called the GP11.1 The bike includes the current 800cc engine fitted in a chassis that Ducati has been working on for the new GP12 1000cc bike ahead of next season. It also features a new gearbox called the DST – Ducati Seamless Transmission...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (20 June 2011 13:45)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

Rex54 - Dovi's 18 secs over 28 laps... 0.64 secs a lap... not a lot... Lorenzo's race time in Qatar was 0.44 secs a lap faster than last year & Dovi was 0.388 a lap faster than his 2010 time... look at qualifying (where every race has been dry so far) gives more stats... all show similar improvements with the exception of Le Mans where Jorge had a nightmare (it happens, don't feel sorry for him). Picking & choosing your statistics only works if other people can't research & pick holes in 'em... & still they prove nothing.

Reply to this Topic
Yamaha3358

Mar 11

Yamaha3358 says:

Wouldn't it be great

If just once a year, all (or at least 10) riders got together at a certain track, and did some sort of charity race ? all on the same manafacturer and tyres of course.

Pretty much impossible though, they cant all just ride the the GSV-R because it would be considered as promoting Suzuki, same with honda, Ducati, Yamaha etc ..

Reply to this Topic
Moaner

Jun 11

Moaner says:

Taming the beast..

Bultoboy, When you say 'he will be riding a different bike. He tamed nothing, he couldn't ride it and they built another one'  Surely that is taming the bike? developing it into a bike that is 'tame' and rideable.. Surely you dont expect him to tame it by talking to it nicely and rubbing it's belly pan? ;)

If i am honest, i thought Rossi would have had an easier job getting to grips with the Duke not only because of Rossi's experience on the brutal 500's but because it looked more competitive than the Yam did when he first jumped on that.. this again has a lot to do with Casey making it look more competitive than it really was... Like JB, I was totally fooled! Again, hat's off to the little goofy Aussie!

Like you say Bultoboy "Rossi can't/won't ride like that" but what would you rather do? Rag a bike to an inch of it's life to get a few wins, some DNF's and finish the last of the aliens or get the bike sorted and challenge for titles year in year out? I know what i would rather do and there is no shame in that, what is a shame is that a lot of people on here see that as a cop out and a good way to knock Rossi and his abilities..

Reply to this Topic
hugelean

Oct 07

hugelean says:

If you actually go back to the last couple of years and see how Casey was doing this time of the season a few of the hotshots might not be so confident that Casey was doing the business and that Rossi isn't doing just as much if not more. The duke couldn't get near Jorges yam last year, the yam can't get near the honda this. Rossi is doing plenty of what Stoner did last year but it's not enough as it wasn't in 08/09 and 2010..

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

Erm... Hugelean...

Believe it or not Rossi is actually doing better than Rossi this time last year (61 points to 68)... wtf does that prove?... the Duc is better than the Yam?... pointless! Why do you insist on picking 6 races where Stoner didn't do well to gauge Rossi's performance when the reality is where he is now in this championship... why not the 2009 series or the 2008 series or even better the 2007 series where, like Rossi, he'd only just got on the bike or more recently his last 6 races... 'cos they don't suit your argument?

Reply to this Topic
lovell2576

Jan 08

lovell2576 says:

Bultoboy

What is pathetic, lovell2576, is Rossi fans' blinkered opinion that it is him and him alone that is responsible for developing a bike

Erm, I did not say that, its a collective effort, we all know that. However, without the rider the development team are clueless in what direction to take. Or do they build a bike and say here you go this is what we think you want? I know which approach I would take!!

I am not taking anything away from Stoner, he clearly is a good rider. However, what we are likely to see with Rossi and Burgess is a bike that is user friendly and not something which only Chipmunks can ride. We saw this with Honda and the Yamaha. Ducati arn't stupid, if with Rossi and JB's guidance they can build a bike that gets 2 or three of them consistently at the front then thats more kudos for them and more people will want to buy the bikes.

Rossi, JB and Ducati are taking huge risks here as everybody is watching. But I am pretty sure that it is an educated and well thought out decision.

Reply to this Topic
Serjuna

Mar 11

Serjuna says:

wosideg

Thanks for the link.

I recomend to the Rossi haters to read the motomatthers article.

Reply to this Topic
Moaner

Jun 11

Moaner says:

Good find Mr Deg!

And that is coming from the 'uber-knowledgable and erudite David Emmett on motomatters.com' as another poster wrote further down the page.. ;)

Well, at least that puts that argument to bed so we don't have to hear the the cries of "Rossi only won coz they all cheated" (If he does ever win again that is (which i am certain he will do very soon))

Oh how i love this game and all it's drama! It is like a big ol pantomime. lol.

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

Lovell2576 - I know you didn't

All I was doing was trying to put some focus on other views that can be labelled as pathetic and that is one that is repeatedly trotted out.

There is nothing wrong with Ducati changing and developing the bike to suit Rossi. Stoner was able to get results on it so maybe they weren't willing to invest in a major redesign and thought that the problems could be solved through minor changes and set up work. Maybe - I don't know. Maybe they could to a certain extent, results still came but Stoner was still riding very close to the edge and over it.

Set up changes alone have been no good for Rossi, so they have to change the bike. As I said, nothing wrong with that.

Ducati know how to build good handling bikes, we've seen it for many years in WSB and previous years in MotoGP. They took a radical new step with the carbon frame, it doesn't work as they'd hoped so finally they have to change it. Sometimes it takes a lot for a designer/engineer to admit that their design has faults. Maybe they have at last resigned themselves to that and that a change is needed.

Why though, this should be a reflection of Stoner's 'development skills' is beyond me. Also, for those that say Stoner hasn't a clue about set up, see my earlier comment about Preziosi stating that Stoner's changes benefitted other riders as well.

I still don't buy into this Rossi will develop a bike for everyone. If you took Rossi out of the championship when Edwards was his team-mate at Yamaha, would you consider the Yam as a bike anyone could ride and win on based on Edwards' results.

Never won a race and about 4th as a best championship result. Doesn't make the bike look good does it.

Reply to this Topic
SStyloF

Oct 10

SStyloF says:

gaps

"a bike that is user friendly and not something which only Chipmunks can ride" hahahaha... Nice one. Did Stoner ever want an easier Ducati to ride? Maybe he wanted to be the only one that could ride it? The gaps between factory and satellite teams are so vast, you seriously can't say the prev 2 races were exciting. Time for a rethink

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices