You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > Smelly Boxer

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

langleyfay

Jun 11

langleyfay says:

Smelly Boxer

I have a 2002 BMW Boxer Cup, its has full service history, 33k on the clock. When friends are following me, they say that its quite smelly.  Oil comsumption seems to be quite high.  Is this a normal trait of these bikes or is something amiss, not having owned it for long and not having any knowledge of these bikes.....hepl!:upset:

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (21 June 2011 07:45)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Oil usage

Most people will tell you that BMW twins do burn a bit of oil. However, I had an 1150GS and that didn't use much at all. In fact, it usually only needed topping up once between services. Either way, it should not be using enough to smell.  Keep the bike on its centre stand as, if you leave it parked on the sidestand oil can make its way into the left hand pot and make the bike smoke when first started.  If you are only doing short runs perhaps this is cause.      

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

BMW 1100S boxer cup 2002 ?

Hi Langleyfay

Could be worth having it checked out,in-case its got leaky valve guide oil seals,or a broken piston ring,or may need a re-hone to bed the piston and rings in? Don't really no the model but if its got a cat it could cause some problem later on?Good Luck

KCMC:tongue:

Reply to this Topic
paulderekjohnson

Feb 08

Try

changing the oil to Actevo 20W50 grade and see what happens. Just in case it's got fully synthetic 5W/40 in at the moment

Reply to this Topic
triumphrider600

Feb 09

your

mileage is about spot on for it to stop burning oil. Boxer engines can burn lots but usually slow down when they have done 30000 miles. My RT with 71000 miles used to burn about 1/2 ltr per 1000, now only needs topping up once between the 6500 mile oil change.
Have a look on the GS forum and there are loads of threads on oil consumption.

Tom

Reply to this Topic
Dabbsy

Aug 02

Dabbsy says:

Smelly boxer

Hi there,

Some boxers do drink a bit, see Tom’s suggestion for the GS forums. What oil are you running and when did you last change it? Oh yes, and what’s the mileage?

BMW recommend Castrol Power 1 10w-50 fully Synthetic or Castrol GP 20w-50 mineral oil. To get a fix on its thirst I would suggest the following. Set the oil level as per rider’s instruction manual. Ride the bike for 1000 miles. Check using the same method. The factory ‘tolerance’ is 1 litre per 620 miles. (a big tolerance). In the real world it should use less than 1 litre per 1000 miles. The cylinder walls have a ‘Nikisil’ coating which means the pistons and rings run in a bed of silicon. There is little to no bore wear on these engines so it is likely that if oil consumption is an issue, it would only be worn piston rings or maybe leaking valve guides. Both relative easy repairs. As for the smell, using cheap Supermarket base petrols will also make the bike exhaust gases smell.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices