Skip to content

Discuss This Video: Honda CBR250R tackles the class of 33bhp First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > Video: Honda CBR250R tackles the class of 33bhp

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Video: Honda CBR250R tackles the class of 33bhp

You're under 21 and have passed your test - what are you going to ride? The law says you must spend two whole years on a 33bhp-limited bike before you rip out the washers, throw them in the river and ride off unfettered. That leaves you with three choices: limit a bigger bike (that you can de-restrict later), de-restrict your smaller...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (22 June 2011 10:56)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Andyvfr1

Apr 10

Andyvfr1 says:

Im a young person!

I have a full time job, my current bike (k5 gsxr 600) pretty much saps all my expendable money but tbh, biking is all i do so i decided it was a reasonable spend since the rest of my cash gets wasted anyway. Id say im on a reasonable wage and this is about the best bike i could afford to own and look after properly, no way is an under 21 (probably a student aswell) going to afford a brand new anything unless theyve got rich mummy and daddy.

This test would have been so much better if it had things in it like 400's, sv650's, er6's e.t.c, budget bikes. The 250's for restricted licenses are great but theyre impossible to insure, i checked out a ninja 250 for the missus and it was mroe than twice as expensive to insure as an sv650 which is by far a better bike!

Reply to this Topic
Andyvfr1

Apr 10

Andyvfr1 says:

As far as this group goes though

The rs125 is by far the pick of the bunch!

Reply to this Topic
al_zhiemer

Aug 04

al_zhiemer says:

A Really Fair Test??

Nice video, well done the concept-except the matching of the machines.  Of course all the riders prefer a bigger frame and perhaps the stronger torque.  Plus they do not look like they have not completed their required 33hp time.  As no one watching would know they were on a detuned bike.  They might notice how nice and non agressive they were - such nice young men :)

Having said that I wish states in the US had the same requirement-it would save a lot of problems down the road.  If for nothing else but the fact it forces you to learn to ride, rather than rely on power and strong brakes to get you out of situations.

When my son started riding I started him off on a stadard honda 250 shadow, and he moved up after we determined he was one of the lucky one to have the inbuilt nature of a motorcyclest and the good sense to arrive alive.

Reply to this Topic
rs3 mille

Aug 07

rs3 mille says:

are people really that thick????

there are loads of varietys and cc's of bike you can use how many do you want them to test?, this was an example of a sports bike vs a built for the job 250, a sit up bike and an youths sports bike all with 33bhp , if you read the description they were examples , its not about how new it is(because most young uns as we know can't afford it)  what it costs etc...... its just to give you an idea! people cry because its not what they wanted testing or they don't understand the theory behind what they have done!its about choices!!!!!

if people think the ninja 250 is miles better than a cbr250 and would have faired better!!! you obviously own one!!!

i personally think its a stupid law and dangerous!

Reply to this Topic
DavidHondaCBF

Mar 10

me

I ride a Honda CBF250 - cheap less than 33bhp, great engine, 90mpg, 80mph - wouldn't change it for anything... yet... Only been riding a year. Only down sides are it's turned out to be very unreliable and coming off a roundabout in 3rd gear at about 30mph there's just no power. Still disappointed MCN can't manage microphones that pick up something other than wind noise btw.

Reply to this Topic
ginganz13

Nov 09

ginganz13 says:

Another reason

To bail on that shithole called Britain and move to New Zealand. Unrestricted 250's on a learners - no compulsory insurance. Empty roads. No Royal family or bloody soccer. Brilliant road/street racing. Christmas in summer. 3 hour flight to Philip Island.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices