Skip to content

Discuss This Newspaper columnist: Ban motorcycles General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Newspaper columnist: Ban motorcycles

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Newspaper columnist: Ban motorcycles

A newspaper column saying motorcycles should be banned has attracted dozens of objections from readers. Hugh Curran begins his article: ‘It's time to ban the motorcycle. There, I said it. It needed to be said.’ The motoring columnist for US daily newspaper Sun Sentinel argues motorcycles are too dangerous and that casualties have an ‘economic impact’ on everyone. He claims that if...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (24 June 2011 16:02)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
ivanvr

Jul 09

ivanvr says:

Check Facts

Statistics show that car accidents are greater than motorcycles ! 

Reply to this Topic
wild_stuart

Sep 02

wild_stuart says:

Just another Clarkson wannaby...

It's just over sensationalist twaddle aimed at selling more papers and making people read it more online, and all because he's writing some controversial comments. In essence, his journalism has done what he intended it to. People are already discussing and arguing about his stories.

It is a shame though, that a lot of his "facts" are heavily biased and flawed, both for the US and for here in Europe, not least the comment of pollution levels. I bet any one of those accident-prone "brother's-friend's-cousin's-monkey" he mentions in his article would quite happily (if they could), get back on a bike.

Even his first article looks and reads Clarkson-esque. That classic fat-boy pose, shaking his fist at the world, thinking he owns the road. Get a grip chap, at least Clarkson made the effort to try and ride a bike (be it a scooter) and now accepts them, even though he still loathes them and simply teases his hamster-friend for owning one...

www.sun-sentinel.com/citylink/upfront/sfl-auto-erotica-keep-the-car-running-20110418,0,1588773.story

Reply to this Topic
rickster999

Jul 07

rickster999 says:

stats

Diabetes is a bigger killer than automotive accidents in the US - they wanna ban Coke & Pepsi. Not Dr Pepper as that's lovely.mmmm.

Reply to this Topic
coxyjm

May 10

coxyjm says:

fat yanks

oi fatty, try riding a bike before sticking your oar in. the only thing this fella is going to be an expert in is where the nearest McDonalds and Fat persons clothes shop is.

Reply to this Topic
Dr Mengle

Apr 03

Dr Mengle says:

Cock - nuff said

Reply to this Topic
gixerbeast

May 09

gixerbeast says:

shity shity yank yank

It takes more skill and balls to ride a motorcycle all year round any numpty can jump behind the wheele of a car and sit their like a clone. Oh what's that its my mobile phone better answer that whilst doing 70mph down the motorway whilst listening to Shite music ZERO CONCENTRATION ON THE ROAD. I SAY BAN CARS AND MOTORCYCLE RIDERS WOULD BE SAFER.

Reply to this Topic
Cundalini

Nov 10

Cundalini says:

Ban

Enjoy it while you can!

Reply to this Topic
piroflip

Jul 10

piroflip says:

This is only the first shot across the bows.

I used to be a keen target pistol shooter until that hobby was banned.

Don't think for one minute that politicians in the UK wouldn't do it.

It only needs one jumped up back bencher wanting to make a name (and money of course) for himself and our bikes wiil go into the same crusher as my custom made competition pistols did.

Reply to this Topic
tomlloydy

Mar 09

tomlloydy says:

The French are some use

That professor Kopps' paper on motorcycles in Paris is brilliant. Stating that cycling is 45 times more dangerous than motorcycling. People need to get over the wrong presumption that if you ride a bike you will die and stop being prejudiced. How many people's grandparents rode? they couldn't afford cars and with fuel prices going up its coming full circle. Perhaps more people would get on bikes if they realised their granddad used to ride a BSA, its so much safer now with developments in suspension, leathers, helmets, and brakes. Bikers also need to stop hurtling down the motorway at 140mph+. There's a time and a place and its the Manx or a track, it gives us a bad name and spoils it for every one else.

Reply to this Topic
chmer20

Oct 09

chmer20 says:

embarrased

tried to post this on his comments but got some electronic gremlins, but feel the need to posty it somewhere, even though here it is preaching to the quire:

"First, my friend's Ducati 1198S offers Ferrari F458 beating performance (see the video at motor trend for yourself) at the fuel mileage of a prius, combined with a much much lower carbon footprint, and it isn't even trying to be fuel efficent. And it costs less than a prius.

Second, instead of using this column as a soapbox for your nonsensical rants, how about doing a little bit of research and focus on driver and rider training. Looking at Finland's licensing proicess will get you started and may help answer why it has been so long since there was a competitive American F1/WRC champion yet Finland seems to pump them out rather quickly. You must notice how poorly American drivers are on the roads when it comes to distractions while drliving, so something on better driver training or less gadgets in cars (they take the fun away anyway) is a win win. Plus, if it happens, I will feel safer riding my bike and driving my Lotus 7 (feel almost as naked as a bike, so I put 2 antennas on it that are connected to nothing but high viz orange flags that still don't seem to help)."

This man embarasses me as a fellow American, what with our slogan "Land of the free" and all. Should change it to "Land of the free....as long as its me".  How are mechanical engineer job openings paying over there anyway? :)

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices