Skip to content

Discuss This Assen MotoGP: Valentino Rossi falters on new Ducati MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Assen MotoGP: Valentino Rossi falters on new Ducati

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Assen MotoGP: Valentino Rossi falters on new Ducati

Valentino Rossi could only qualify Ducati’s radically revamped factory MotoGP contender in a disappointing 11th position at the Assen circuit in Holland today. Riding the updated GP11.1 in dry conditions for the first time, the Italian was woefully off the fastest pace and only fourth fastest Ducati rider at the Circuit van Drenthe. Rossi’s new bike features a redesigned rear end with...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (24 June 2011 22:18)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

Erm... Buelligan272... that was at the start of the session on a dry track... I don't think anybody thinks that the new Duc can only manage a 1:41 in the dry... 5 secs slower than his own appalling qualifying lap?... I'd say no-one was pushing... Simo & Stoner didn't even do a full lap though they each did 3 sighting laps on a damp track.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
BMEP

Jul 08

BMEP says:

Valentino says...

in the cold conditions we could not get enough temperature in the tyres and they remained under the range of maximum grip.”

and there we have it again. It's tyres, it's always been tyres, it still is tyres. You cannot make a bike compatible with tyres without extreme expense and time it must always be done the other way around, you build a bike then select the most suitable tyres for that bike then race it, job done. It is extremely cheap and extremely fast to make tyres that really suit a bike (Sometimes they could be made overnight! mmm... reminds me something, can't think what).

Wosideg > “The Bridgestone tyres are struggling in the cold temperatures.” Yes, absolutely correct but because different bikes are built differently not everyone struggles the same on the same tyres, change the rules to cure this.

Rules:

You cannot have the best tyres for your bike - please slide carefully!. <Stupid and dangerous.

You cannot have enough fuel to finish the race. <What dead brain thought of that one.

You cannot have enough practice to set the bike up. <Just race with the set-up wrong. Why?

You cannot have enough engines to use/modify as you please. <Can't go inside a racing engine to make sure it is ok. Stupid & dangerous remember Lorenzo, engine blow, oil.

You cannot have enough testing. <How can you have close racing if mid-pack to rear cannot develop, beyond stupidity.

These rules do not save any money, when you analyse the above rules the bikes cost many times more to build. Remember, you get the racing that the rules give you, so it seems everything is fine then?

Reply to this Topic
buelligan272

Jul 06

buelligan272 says:

ah ok

did not see the session only read the results.Fair enough.

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

What is good is that earlier on a dry track Bradley Smith went faster than his qualifying & was 2nd fastest with Redding 4th... Smith starts from 10th with Redding 8th but we've seen how well Smith rides in the wet & now he could also be up there if it's dry. Go Bradley... & Scott of course :)

Reply to this Topic
RossiDukeBiker46

Jul 10

Sooooo, fastest in morning warmup? WTF?

BEFORE you start I'm not gonna rant on about him being fastest for ONE DAMN SECOND. I know where THAT will end. It means JACK $h1T. I spent too much of my life arguing with retards yesterday. NOT TODAY.

I am however asking myself and anyone with any knowledge WTF is going on? Why is the bike ok in damp/wet conditions, Silvertone aside, yet crappy in the dry? Rossi's interview doesn't really lead to any answers.

The ony people who'll know are Ducati. They must have a plan because everyone is far too laid back and unconcerned with the results. I can only assume they are changine so much so fast they are obviously using the races to gauge changes instead of testing. Its crappola for fans but if it leads to a better Duke then cool.

I would think it would have made sense to have a GP11 and the GP11.1 here for Rossi. Wouldn't it? To test them side by side? Is that the setup they have this weekend? And what is Abraham riding, because if its a bog standard bike the dudes doing ok. He should be in the factory squad.

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

RDB46 - "Sooooo, fastest in morning warmup? WTF?"

... you do know why he was the fastest don't you?... just read a few posts back... or better still do some of your own research.

Reply to this Topic
slit

Mar 11

slit says:

hugelean

I agree with you. Yet it's pretty demoralizing at the same time.

RDB46 LMFAO hahaha yesterday, but not today!!!!!!!!! you just cracked me up haha

Reply to this Topic
whemy

Oct 10

whemy says:

if it rains luck again

he carnt set up a chess board nevermind a bike doesnt know which direction to go in what a genius.

praying for rain  again gonna start calling him vermullan.

Reply to this Topic
RossiDukeBiker46

Jul 10

Only one on track maybe?

I guess so. Maybe thats the answer; let Rossi out on his own for 5 mins at a time!!! Still, nobody has answered any tech details. Anyone know facts not fiction?

Reply to this Topic
williewheelbreaker

Jul 08

Not that fast!

RDB read hedgehogs post one before last. I don't think Ducati has a plan, Rossi will push his hardest in the race but if it is dry he is a dead duck! Nobody who is going quick this weekend bothered with warm up as the conditions made it meaningless except to excite a few Rossi fans who can't work out sweet FA. Karel Abraham doesn't need a works bike just because he did well for a few minutes yesterday??? He is just comfortable, what he has is all he knows. Rossi has had some very sorted bikes and tyres in his time, he is just not comfortable enough to make any incarnation of the Ducati work. *****Does this mean he is any less of a rider than Stoner, NO WAY! Stoner was mentally acclimatised to the Ducati and made it work, he has won the most races of the era and deserves immense respect as a rider and racer. Now Stoner is on another bike he is comfortable on and he is making hay while Rossi is feeling sick. IMO the old adage is still true 80% rider and 25% bike (LOL see what I did there, that's bullshit protection). You lot waffling endlessly about how much better or worse bikes are and who can develop what is very tedious. The bikes / riders and the times they are running in this era are closer by miles than they ever have been in the history of GP's. We all just need to collectively pray they can make some races where they are close at the finish and attempt some overtaking! C'mon Assen, be dry and let the feathers fly!

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices