Skip to content

Ask an Expert Invited to undertake. Riding Skills

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Riding Skills > Invited to undertake.

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Invited to undertake.

What do you do when you come up behind cars in the outside lane of a motorway and they indicate right?

Do you accept their invitation to undertake, appreciating their courtesy and awareness?

Or do you point to the left lane and wait for the lazy buggers to move over like they're supposed to?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (25 June 2011 12:37)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

undertake

Never in 40 years have come accross this situation but i have undertook with a powerful bike with the car only doing 70mph and hogging the outside lane with nobody in the middle one.I would not do this with an under powered bike because there`s only one loser if anything goes wrong. 

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

undertaking

Just get on with it. They're lazy, stupid prats who can't work out what a lane is for and can't be bothered thinking about what they're doing.

Ensure they know you're there and get past whilst they're busy groping themselves over Brian Perkins reading the shipping forecast on Radio Four.

Reply to this Topic
triumphrider600

Feb 09

i would

agree, that in that situation I would accelerate and nip under them. However you would be making a reasoned gamble that if anything went wrong it would be your fault and if the boys in blue saw you, invite or no they would be your points and fine. At the end of the day 70mph in the outside lane is what they are supposed to be doing. But as Jaffa says, in 30 years of riding i've never come across anyone who has done that to me.

Tom

Reply to this Topic
beaconsman

Sep 09

beaconsman says:

undertaking

nope, never would undertake anywhere...too risky a move..they have metal around them, airbags etc..u ahve leathers (hopefully) for the up and coming tarmac...

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

You've...

... never come across this situation? That really surprises me.
:huh:

Reply to this Topic
andyms999

Oct 10

andyms999 says:

apply caution

i would apply caution, undertaking is dangerous however tempting. Use your means of communicating your intent, flash headlights ect to show them you are there. It usually works and they get the message to move. If they dont its worth just toughing it out, like the other poster said, its your points if the police catch you and you will be the looser of the car moves when you undertake. Stay safe

Reply to this Topic
yellowtechie

Feb 12

yellowtechie says:

Having driven all over the world,

a right indicator in the "fast" lane (or left if traffic drives on the right), normally means "I am not prepared to move over". You have to make a decision and stick to it. I would probably undertake but as said above, the risk is yours as would be the points and the fine.

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Undertake or wait.

I've taken both actions depending on my mood. I'm aware of the risks and I deal with them. It just surprises me how ignorant /arrogant / discourteous people can be when in charge of a ton of speeding metal.

Reply to this Topic
bmwgs

Mar 10

bmwgs says:

if the cops see you under taking then you will end up in trouble.

Reply to this Topic
steveb

Aug 02

steveb says:

James

I HAVE seen that situation on various occasions, and have in the past like you taken either action depending on my mood and a thorough understanding of what other traffic was around and what it was likely to do in my opinion.

These days I rarely have cause to ride on motorways so I'm more likely to park myself in their right hand mirror with my right hand indicator on, unless the middle lane is busy. I'm far less likely to lane split at motorway speeds under a car indicating right than I was 10 years ago.

I have seen far too many very close calls with cars moving to the left as bikes were undertaking them to partake in that game anymore.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices