Skip to content

Ask an Expert Invited to undertake. Riding Skills

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Riding Skills > Invited to undertake.

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Invited to undertake.

What do you do when you come up behind cars in the outside lane of a motorway and they indicate right?

Do you accept their invitation to undertake, appreciating their courtesy and awareness?

Or do you point to the left lane and wait for the lazy buggers to move over like they're supposed to?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (25 June 2011 12:37)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
MakemRider

Jul 11

MakemRider says:

Indicating.

Best indication you can give (as a driver or rider) to a biker is your POSITION.

Make it obvious to the biker you have seen him, give him room to pass if he wishes but DON'T use your indicator, it may cause confusion.

Don't accept the indications of others as it only means THEY MAY let you, they can't know what others will do & if things go wrong they will blame you anyway & say they didn't invite you, they were warning you not to.

The idea of staying in the the outside or middle lane is from the mistaken understanding that they are 'FAST' lanes, either that or the driver just doesn't understand many of the rules of driving.

Reply to this Topic
Valko

May 12

Valko says:

indicate right

means they overtake, not sure how this can be an invite for you? Assuming there are stream of cars in both lanes, say left lane doing 60 and right lane doing 70.

The only situation I can imagine signal can be invitation for overtaking is a B road and left signal can mean the road ahead is clear you can overtake, however usually I intentionally ignore such invites and do overtake carefully prepared for unexpected. You are the driver and its your responsibility to drive safely. Not to mention you are basically flying with 70 over the tarmac with a jacket...

I drive both car and bike and frankly have seen too many bikes doing slalom and filtering on the highway.

Undertaking and filtering on motorways is illegal and extremely dangerous.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Same thing.

I posted this not so much to get advice (athough it's interesting to read the different views) but rather, expecting a wave of recognition of this practice of definitely making extended eye contact in their rear view mirror yet not giving up their outside lane position despite lots of space on the left, preferring to wave you up the inside. I'm surprised that the forum hasn't generally witnessed this practice.

There seems to be no lack of respect on the drivers' part, they just seem to think they're doing you a favour by indicating right to signal that they've seen you and will allow you to undertake. Maybe they're used to seeing bikes undertake in town and assume you'll be happy to do it at 70+ mph too.

It's the same as the left-indicator on B-roads which Valco mentioned (and I'm similarly cautious there) except that would be an overtake and thus wholly legal (but they don't half pick some daft places to wave you past!).

For a short period before posting I'd seen this outside lane hogging and right-indication quite alot on the M25. On the last occasion I shook my head and waited, the driver kept looking in his rear view mirror and eventually I stuck my left arm out as far forward as I could reach, gesturing left. The car moved across as though I was pushing it with my index finger and I overtook. I just wondered what they were thinking.

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

"I just wondered what they were thinking".

Fcuk,my wifes a bitch,thank fcuk i'm out'a the office,why the fuck hasn't my i phone got a signal,can't light this fag,gotta take Tarquin to football on sunday and to Anastasia to cello leasons..............wish I had an M3,and some new golf clubs.

NO?.

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

"I just wondered what they were thinking."

You're probably right! With all that going on it's no wonder the speed limit is only 70mph.

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

The one practice I absolutely fucking hate

is when people go to overtake and become indecisive about whether to go or not - either going to overtake a wagon and run side-by-side with it for ages (why the fuck would you want one of them next to you for ages? Most annoying on dual carriageways where you end up with nowhere to go if anything happens), or sat in your blind spot where you have to check every 2 seconds to see if they're still there (creeping up and dropping back).

Reply to this Topic
Valko

May 12

Valko says:

not giving up their outside lane position despite lots of space on the left

I am glad I have not yet experienced that, not sure what to say here really... the ammount of car drivers just doing anything but driving is unbelievable, I have 30 years experience and got to say I developed kind of gut feeling what somebody can do on the road, like swerving and things, probably the best advice will be ignore any signals and do the right thing safely - in your case wait a while and flash him so that you can overtake as it should be on the right, that is what I would do :smile

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices