Skip to content

Ask an Expert Pilot Road 3s - Catastrophic Failure! Tyres

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Tyres > Pilot Road 3s - Catastrophic Failure!

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

brynhils

Jun 06

brynhils says:

Pilot Road 3s - Catastrophic Failure!

Taken directly from the FZ6 forum: Michelin Pilot Road 3 Failure

The pictures make for scary viewing!

To quote the bike's owner, "My air pressure was dead on. My treadwear was great. I hit no debris. There is no punctures in the tire. The rubber literally melted to the point that the lateral slits in the tire became gooey and by touching them could see straight to the belts. The rubber was literally falling off in hunks in some areas"

An article in 'Bike' magazine noted that whilst their wet weather performance was outstanding, they ran hotter than the competition in the dry and might not have as greater life expectancy ....  Neither will the rider if this s**t doesn't get sorted!

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (26 June 2011 22:44)

Post a message in Tyres

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
gingerB

Aug 09

gingerB says:

WOW

:shock: how f...ing scary is that.  Mind you we don't ever reach a 100 degrees in Uk but still don't think I'd buy a pair of the pr 3's if they do that.  :blink:

Reply to this Topic
smoto5

Mar 09

smoto5 says:

Not very confidence inspiring

is it? something strange going on, manufacturing defect? quality control? contamination with solvents? tyre pressures? Age? 

Not sure I'd continue using the front one after that happened to the back,  as he did (further on in thread, came off bike into back of his wifes car!) :wacko: :blink:
Oh and some of the other posters are talking about 10,000 and 16,000 miles out of their tyres, typo? or different compounds? :blink:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
cairnsie13

Jan 11

cairnsie13 says:

A

bit worrying but as you say has he not run over somthing on road, like solvent or whatever thats somehow knacked the tyres, Seems weird for them both to fail within a short time of each other after doing those sorts of milage already.

Reply to this Topic
John451

Nov 05

John451 says:

Pilot Road 3s - Catastrophic Failure

Will be following Michelins response very closely to this issue. :unsure:

Have about 1200 miles on my current VFR800s PR3s after being happy with the previous 3 sets of PR2s but feel some concern as I also had a then newly released Michelin Pilot Power front delaminate on me also during Hot weather touring causing severe vibration in 2004 well before they recalled them. :upset:

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

This

makes me wonder if perhaps different rubber / process is used for different markets - in the UK the temps never get that high for example. Maybe he got Alaskan rubber? :lol:

Scary stuff.

Reply to this Topic
fawnykate

Nov 09

fawnykate says:

They have been frozen

I was reading a post buy a guy who tests tyres for michelin and a batch of tyres he recieved did very similar things, they were cracked etc, after investigation it was put down to the tyres becoming frozen during transit in a container, Michelin now apparently have fitted heaters in there transportation containers.
So at a guess I would say that after that nasty winter we just had there are going to be some dodgy tyres around.

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

So

if I rode through winter and left the bike out in the snow and ice often over the weekend were I not going anywhere, I could get to summer with disintegrating tyres? Michelin should have something to reassure customers about this - I'm assuming that the container in question was subjected to extremely low temperatures for a significant period of time - perhaps in an unheated, unpressurised aircraft hold or similar conditions on a container ship going the cold way round.

Reply to this Topic
fawnykate

Nov 09

fawnykate says:

no expert

I'm no expert and just going off what I read and seen in the pictures but I gather they were on a container ship, as to its route, well it must of been cold, I just looked for the link to the guys report but I cant find it at the moment , I will search again later. but he has some great pictures of tyre failures.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices