Skip to content

Ask an Expert Help (at short notice!) Technical

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > Help (at short notice!)

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Amateurcynic

Jun 09

Amateurcynic says:

Help (at short notice!)

Hit a brick wall somewhat with this so hoping someone out there can help.

Bought a 954'Blade at end of January with the proviso I was supplied with an OE exhaust system as the one fitted was waaayyy tooo LOUD (sorry for shouting!) so much so it was scaring animals & small children (I kid you not!!).

The system fitted when I bought the bike had butchered the link pipe so a replacement was supplied along with an end can, so far so good! The link pipe turned out to be bent so, contact dealer and after some wrangling a second link pipe was sent. This wasn’t a good one, re-welded mounting point had virtually rusted through! End can didn’t fit either! Next! Third link pipe came today, fits beautifully apart from the fact the *<#> end can doesn’t fit!! As far as I was aware the systems on the 929 and 954 were interchangeable so please re-educate me if I’m wrong. Pretty sure the first link pipe supplied was off a 929, it’s marked HM MCJ E3 as is the end can which also has the mark SANKEI 2361. The link pipe that arrived today is marked HM MCJ E1. Which part do I need to change, link pipe or can??

Why the short notice? I’m about to embark on an annual journey to one of the planets finest combinations of road/scenery and welcoming people (Scotland if you must know, just don’t tell everyone or it’ll get too busy!!) and I would like them to remain welcoming, which with the current exhaust is unlikely as they’re likely to hear me set off from Yorkshire!! :blink:

Once again I say Help!

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (27 June 2011 23:10)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
ajroberts

Dec 10

ajroberts says:

Take it to them

I would take it to them and go you fix it now... if not now supply me with a bike that IS fit for purpose until you have sorted this to my satisfaction....

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Honda CBR 954 RR Fireblade year?

Hi Amateurcynic

As far as i am aware there are only two link pipes and end cans (std) for your model(2002-2003)that's the one with a oxygen sensor and one without,these link pipes and end cans don't mix but the 2000 929 onward has the same part numbers.Sound like supplier is sending you an end can from a different model?(pre-2000).As far as your dilemma goes i don't know,if your trip is too close then you might have to bight the bullet and purchase a second hand system off e-bay or somewhere and try and be reimbursed by your supplier at a later date.Try giving Martin a bell at M.T.C. Exhaust he may be able to help if you are getting desperate?

http://www.mtcexhausts.co.uk/

Good Luck

KCMC:tongue:

Reply to this Topic
Amateurcynic

Jun 09

Amateurcynic says:

Thanks

AJ, yes I would do this but sadly there's a bit of distance between us (physical no metaphorical!) so can't do that easily, they are to be fair rather puzzled themselves. KCMC what I've got is an end can that fits a damaged link pipe, the pipe I've just been sent mates with the H-VIX so must be from 929/954 2000-2003 but the end can doesn't fit. Your explanation with the oxygen sensor sounds like a possible reason though. Have already steeled myself to spending money :wacko: and ebay has been trawled for nearby dealers so I can take the end can and pipe to get a fit!

Thanks again people

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Exhaust

There's a moral in this story for us all.  If a dealer promises a road-legal can get them to supply and fit it before you pick the bike up.  That way they are not in a position to mess you around after you have parted with your hard-earned.   

Reply to this Topic
Amateurcynic

Jun 09

Amateurcynic says:

Thanks

For the "Help" there Marcus!!:tongue: Ok, if it helps someone else learn from my misfortune then so be it!

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Amateurcynic

The advice given by the other forum members already addressed your issue and my comment was in no way intended to be unsympathetic towards your situation. 

I think we have all been too trusting at times and a lot of us had similar issues so these forums do serve as a reminder that we can get caught out.  Unfortunate for those that have issues to raise but still a good lesson for the rest of us.  The power of the net and all that....

I don't know what you paid for the bike but them sending you a crappy rusty link pipe is appauling.  Hope you manage to get it resolved.   

Reply to this Topic
Amateurcynic

Jun 09

Amateurcynic says:

Sincere Apologies

Marcus, my response to you was purely tongue in cheek, as can happen this gets lost in the typing sometimes (especially rubbish slow ones like myself!!) I sometimes forget that what is meant as a humorous riposte can read quite badly (just re-read it mesen, sorry again!). Anyway to update you all (is anyone there? zzzz) as of today I was back in touch with the dealer, told them what I'd already done (trawled internet ‘till 1 in the morning for info + asked your esteemed selves) and what I was intending to do. As of the research I've done I've found out quite a lot about HM MCJ codes on Honda exhausts plus the 929 and 954 systems aren’t compatible and lots lots more (is anyone still awake or should I get my Anorak??!!) the dealer has asked me to inform them of how much I spend and they’ll reimburse me, can’t ask for more than that really! Been a learning curve for them as well as me and at least they didn’t shirk their responsibilities and tell me where to go. Now waiting for a guaranteed next day delivery from a breaker for what I now know is the correct part. Thanks everyone for your help

Best Regards

Tony

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Amateurcynic

No need to apolgise.  I just wanted to clarify in case my comments were taken the wrong way. 

Glad you have a solution and understand why you don't want to tour with a un-silenced system.  I have a race can (Scorpion) on my Fazer 1000 but always run it with the baffle in.  I'm too old for full on race exhausts and find them tiring after a while.  Nice to have something a little 'fruity' fitted without wrecking my hearing. 

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices