Skip to content

Discuss This Columnist’s second call for motorcycle ban General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Columnist’s second call for motorcycle ban

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Columnist’s second call for motorcycle ban

A newspaper columnist has written his second article calling for motorcycles to be banned. Hugh Curran appears to relish having angered motorcyclists with the first column, which said they should be banned on safety grounds. His follow-up says: ‘Motorcyclists were unconvinced and angry. They were angry across the United States, Canada, Ireland, England and Australia.’ The motoring columnist for US daily newspaper Sun...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (28 June 2011 12:01)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
gavinfdavies

Aug 09

gavinfdavies says:

a better response

I can't help feeling that in addition to name calling (though justified it seems), would have been

a) a challenge; don't call to ban something you can't do, so get yourself a full bike licence and complete at least 2,000 miles on a big bike before passing your judgements. After all, most bikers can also drive cars, so we know what we're talking about, you don't.

b) a list of statistics, with references putting bikes into perspective against other activities including driving, cycling, and a variety of sports.  For example I recall hearing (From Kevin Ashe I think) that drviers who also ride are 10% less likely to crash or somesuch. Figures regarding a bikers vs a drivers chance of CAUSING an accident would also be favourite, as I suspect, but don't know for sure, that it would be in our favour. I read recently about that French traffic survey, 45x less dangerous than cycling it seems.

this way we're more likely to show that we're not as bad as he says, and should be encouraged not banned. You never know, we might even convert him, and that would be a feather in our cap!

Reply to this Topic
zannoti

Mar 10

zannoti says:

oy !

oy !   hugh  pudding ,    get  that  window  wound  up  and  get  back  in  that  cage ,   looks  like  a  bloody  horse  box !

Reply to this Topic
al_zhiemer

Aug 04

al_zhiemer says:

Take away his ittybitty car

One should know something about what they write.  If you have never ridden a motorcycle then you have nothing to say of any value.

just my two cents worth

Reply to this Topic
Dullthud

Jun 07

Dullthud says:

He's got a point

He's right. I should not be at liberty to make this choice. And if I choose to anyway, others should be free to harm me. I will never put the keys in the ignition again. Instead I will ride my bicycle through traffic to the stables and climb up on my collosal thoroughbred which I shall charge up the nearest hill. I will then unpack my hang glider and whoosh down to the sea for some sailing and a spot of diving. And as I'm not driving, I'll be drunk. I just hope the ambulance can get through all the traffic.

Reply to this Topic
guzzivee8

Jun 07

guzzivee8 says:

As in the recent BRAKE/Daily Mirror/Jordon/Kids riding bikes "story".

Journo’s write something that deliberately antagonises us (Faz included?) and we are daft enough to go along with them by entering into e-mail “debate” (Although that is possibly giving to much credit to the recent “name calling”?)

Interesting comment that Curran makes…‘How in the world did Steve Farrell warrant a by-line by simply mentioning that I wrote a column, and then running a reaction to it calling me fat rather than responding to the points in the column?’

Shrewsred is right We should either respond with valid well thought through responces or not play along and just ignore “them” rather than give them any credit by corresponding?

GV8

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
coxyjm

May 10

coxyjm says:

is America

really going to listen to a jumped up fat bloke that drives a hair dressers car, if they are, then fuck off America. and stop importing your shitty cars over here as well, nobody likes them.

Reply to this Topic
Paul Gizza

Jun 07

Paul Gizza says:

Hugh Curran

Your an IDIOT and still a FAT C<%T

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

Duh.....!

Over weight , Big mouthed DUMBASS AMERICAN.

Reply to this Topic
Rumple

Sep 09

Rumple says:

He's not fat

In the States he's classed as underweight.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

News just in...

Mr "fatty pants" said to be gutted that Masterbation..... "his only pleasure" has been banned.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices