Skip to content

Products Shoei XR1000 Helmets

You are in... Forums > Products > Helmets > Shoei XR1000

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Ian Jubb  says:

Shoei XR1000

Shoei XR1000, £300Miles covered/time: 6500/three years What’s good: Comfy, quiet and looks cool in black. This Shoei XR1000 has been my everyday lid for a few years now, it’s super easy to keep clean as it has few vents or details to trap dirt and flies. An add-on whisper strip kit for £20 keeps the noise levels even lower which means...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (04 July 2011 14:21)

Post a message in Helmets

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
aquarius

Jun 09

aquarius says:

Certainly a very good lid ...

I had and still have an Arai RX-7RR4 - the Edwards 4 Replica in Red/Silver/Black/White and just loved the thing. Except for the noise! Good earplugs fixed that but it is a racing helmet after all and not intended for touring and general faffing about. After many miles and 6+ years I figured that I should replace it, even though it was still looking pristine - as the experts reckon they do degrade with time - so ... what to buy next? I am super-particular about graphics and how they match the rest of my gear (old tart, I know) and the primary safety of "visibility" - and nothing in the Arai range then attracted me. Researched and burrowed for months and finally decided that Shoei were AOK too and just missed-out on a lovely X-11 -the last one available here. Bugger! Then I saw the Tony Rutter 2 Replica on a Brit website and decided that was the one...

The XR1000 has proved excellent since I received it from the UK some 2 years ago. The Coppers think I am 19 but at least I get "noticed" as the Shuriken graphics are pretty bright and distinctive. To begin with I noticed I was getting a fair bit of air noise coming up from under the lower part of the helmet. Bigger, far snugger cheek pads fixed that and the helmet is so much quieter and less affected by wind insofar as "buffeting around" is concerned than the Arai. I DON"T like the strap end securing system at all, having to put gloves on AFTER securing the fiddly strap sleeve - the Arai snap-fastener is so superior. But overall the helmet is proving very quiet and comfortable and, like the Arai, can be worn for a full riding day of 8-10 hours without any discomfort whatsoever. Like so many other allegedly dumb-arse Arai owners, I always found changing visors an ordeal and actually broke a side-pod once too. The Shoei is far better and dead-easy at visor changes. It flows air well too and doesn’t try to "mist-up" so readily in our Tropical hot, wet Summer conditions. Anyone after a high quality helmet can't really go wrong with one of these and with the XR1100 having replaced them now - should be some really good deals around to make them even more attractive. Cheers

Reply to this Topic
steven.hood7

Jan 08

steven.hood7 says:

Shoei XR1000.

Slowly getting used to my XR1000 after having Shoei's top of the range Exceed for 7 years, Thought it flimsy and a backward step at first and was sure i'd made a mistake and should have bought the X-Spirit 1 or 2. Not as quiet as my Exceed was when new-ish etc but like the larger aperature[CX1-V Visor] and the lightness. Alot less demanding on the neck over a 4 hour ride plus the stability at speed is a vast improvement. I kept on using the Exceed for over a year after buying the XR1000 but the foam/cheekpads are so crushed now that i'll stick to the XR1000. Much prefer the seatbelt securing system than the double D-ring of the XR1000 if only for quickness but it did come un-clicked once or twice over the years because of high paddock jacket collars. Will look into buying the Whisper Strip Kit for any improvement quietness although i do wear earplugs..........Steve.

Reply to this Topic
reestyboy

Jan 11

reestyboy says:

Excellent lid

I find the XR1000 to be an excellent lid. It's extremely comfortable, reasonably quiet (I don't even bother with earplugs on my shorter rides) and changeable cheek pads give a bit more flexibility when trying to attain that perfect fit. I bought mine in the blue/white/black 'Straight TC4' colour scheme which matches my GSX-R 750K8 perfectly.

I disagree with Ian Jubb's statement that the "Visor doesn’t clip down and can ping open at high speeds which is less than ideal" - there is a small lever (still big enough to operate with a gloved hand) on the left-hand visor base plate which is pushed upwards when the visor is down to lock the visor firmly closed - it works perfectly.

The only negative experience that I've ever had with mine was a small amount of lift one day when I was doing 140 m.p.h.+, but that was probably my fault for not getting into enough of a crouch behind the screen.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Gconn

Jun 14

Gconn says:

@ Ian Jubb

I have this for mor than 4 years of daily use and I can say it's one of the best lids out there. The finish is still like new, vents well for a 2010 helmet of its price range. Cheek pads  are still in good condition. The visor SHOULD clip down Ian, this is one of the best locking mechanisms I ever used. Even by today's standards

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices