Skip to content

Ask an Expert If I can do it then! bikergran age 54 Riding Skills

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Riding Skills > If I can do it then! bikergran age 54

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

bikergran

May 11

bikergran says:

If I can do it then! bikergran age 54

:smile  Eve:unsure:ning all, just want to say and try and encourage any "Older Ladies" that may be thinking of or would like to ride a bike!  Im 54 and about 6 yrs ago got myself a 50cc Aprillia scooter and loved it, but then Hubby decided he would like to buy caravan so my scooter went parlty to pay for it.Anyway a couple of yrs later  I really fancied another scooter so bought a Piaggio Fly125, did my CBT and loved it, although it was long cold day in the rain, unfortunatly I was knocked off it just over 2 yrs ago, so decided to give a geared bike a try  lol. got myself a Yamaha Custom 125, and almost 2 yrs later thought  ohh come on get your Mod 1 done girl!  wasnt sucsessful 1st attempt only got up to 49 km and was bitterly dissapointed  so gave it a rest until about 10 week ago when I took it again.having gained more confidence and having practiced more emrgency stops and swerving at 30mph  I just thought ok lets go for it... and whoopeeee  managed 53km on swerve and emergency.

Today!!!! woohooooo  have pased Mod 2  !!  ohh the best feeling ever, I was sssshhhhhaking yes! but I tried really hard to concentrate as if I failed then I would end up having to take another CBT as well..it started raining (I hate being out in the rain on my bike) but i know that will come with confidence.as yet my L Plates are still on (will take them off first thing tomorrow) what I want to say is....if you fancy it  have a go!! im a 54 yr old grandma and yes maybe I should be getting my slippers and knitting needles ready lol..but  Noooo Wer'e not ready for that yet are we girls!!!  sooo what you waiting for!!!!

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (05 July 2011 21:39)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Beelady

Jan 10

Beelady says:

Well done

Quite right too!  I'm a little older than you and I ride a Harley all summer and a BMW all winter.

Meet loads of new friends, get out and about more and generally have a great time.

Never too old to try something new :smile

Reply to this Topic
bikergran

May 11

bikergran says:

Thanks

:lol: Hi Beelady..thankyou ! I am still on a high !  love your profile "older.wiser and slower" lol. 20 yrs wow!! so much experience, must say its took me a while 2 CBTs and almost on the verge of a 3rd one! thats why I decided to go for it, wouldnt say im the most confident of riders but I will persivere and I had a brill female instructor..keep smiling enjoy  :smile

Reply to this Topic
CharlieSYLO

Mar 11

CharlieSYLO says:

Congrats

Enjoy the freedom :biggrin: My mates a DSA instructor and he recently had a 72 year old GENTLEMAN, a proper gentleman as I am reliably told whose lifes ambition was to get a bike license and buy a Triumph, he did it!. As the saying goes, You're never to old :winkie:

Reply to this Topic
gingerB

Aug 09

gingerB says:

Yeeha

:biggrin: Yep remember that elated feeling of passing mod 2 - did it myself nearly 2 years ago and can honestly say it was one of the best things i've ever done - i'm just 4 years younger than you.

Keep rubber on the tarmac, hands on the bars and huge smile on the face:biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
aehewitt

Jan 11

aehewitt says:

bikergran

Well done!!!! i love hearing stories like yours.Before you now it you'll want a fire blade.Good luck with the riding.:biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
stevedeejay

Aug 09

stevedeejay says:

Nice one

big congrats to ya,enjoy yersel :biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
bikergran

May 11

bikergran says:

your very kind all of you

:biggrin: ohh thats kind of you all and thankyou....Yes  the feeling wow! im still on a high, must say when I saw the Examiner I thought hmmm looks like he has got out of bed the wrong side and fallen in an icy pond lol.. he really didnt make me feel at ease..but !! he is on my christmas card list lol lol..   a "firebalde" lol hmm may just take a look at that ....of course I am restricted for 2 yrs...I do have an ambition..to ride around the Great Orme (Llandudno)  on a lovely sunny day, if anyones been it is a 4 mile drive all the way round with super views ..   ......thanks again all..safe riding..I know I have still a lot to learn..whoooopeeeeeee  yesssss  lol...:biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
LEO61

Aug 08

LEO61 says:

Bikergran

Well done for sticking with it !!! That feeling of elation you feel when you pass your test, never truely leaves you. Enjoy your motorcycling, and ride safe. :biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
bikergran

May 11

bikergran says:

Back again lol

Thanks Leo     I will.......   (OH! I did get 3 minors)!  1 for "posiitioning" and 2 for bends (went wide on one bend towards center line)  not sure what the other one was as I cant remember faulting on another, but it was realy windy and my bike is light and at one point it sort of blew me off course! so maybe he saw that I don't know.  :smile

Reply to this Topic
Ovski

Nov 10

Ovski says:

Good on yer

Congratulations and well done for having the um *cough* balls to give it a go! The more people on bikes the better as far as im concerned.

Re the elation of passing the test - I felt happier after passing my bike test than i did when i passed in the car. Obviously still excited but not as much. Anyone else experience this?

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices