You are in... Forums > General > General > Bike Courier

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

IMB76

Oct 10

IMB76 says:

Bike Courier

I wondering if any of you peep's have ever done it if so. Does it pay OK.? is the work regular.? and what happens if the weather is severe I,E serious snow/ice and gale force winds are you still expected to go out or would you not get any work that day or take a van. Any advice would be appreciated as I'm thinking off looking into this sort of work. scratch

Or even better do you know of any good company's reasonably local to Northants. :smile 

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (06 July 2011 12:39)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Courier work

Back in the late 70's and 80's this was a high earning job if you were good at it and in with a good network.  I remeber guys earning £200 a week when I was on £33!  Of course their bike and fuel came out of that but they were still pulling down decent money. 

With the advent of email etc the market for motorcycle couriers is nowhere near what it was but you do still see a few about. 

I would say these days it's a hard way of earning a living.  Firstly, you will be self employed and paid on a job by job basis.  So, if the company you are working for is not busy your earnings will go down.  If the weather is that bad that you can't work (and I guess that would be your call) you don't earn.  Holidays and sickness you don't earn.  When your bike is off the road you don't earn.

I don't mean to paint a negative picture but being a motorcycle courier is not the job most people think it is. I know a lot of guys that are self-employed with small vans that work under similar arrangements and they work long and hard for their money.  But at least they are dry and warm in winter!!

Having said all that you don't mention if you are currently employed.  If not, then give it a go as you have nothing to loose but I wouldn't give up a job you already have to try it.

Goood luck.         

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
JAWAPAWA

Sep 10

JAWAPAWA says:

not to mention...

you need "the knowledge" although thinking bout it...everyones got satnav these days havnt they?

my friend used to do until he got his legs crushed between two cars

Reply to this Topic
JAWAPAWA

Sep 10

JAWAPAWA says:

ps..

if you live in London or in the city what about becoming a Bike Taxi?

Loads of work from Bussiness people who need to get across town fast etc..

probably a better option than a courier...i know what i would rather do..

might cost a bit for insurance and the bike itself but you could work for a company instead of being self employed?

let me know what you think..

Regards

Jawa

Reply to this Topic
davemdixon

Jul 09

davemdixon says:

These days

business men use video conferencing they dont need to travel across town as they can talk world wide and it costs pennies, sorry.

Reply to this Topic
JAWAPAWA

Sep 10

JAWAPAWA says:

anyone

can use a taxi dave

Reply to this Topic
fastasfuck123

Apr 07

-

I went to a company and they suggested buying a small van, far easier to earn a living as you can carry multiple drops and the running cost a far lower

Reply to this Topic
IMB76

Oct 10

IMB76 says:

Thanks all

Maybe not such a good idea then. I was just thinking to myself I love bikes I need a job so maybe it was another avenue to explore But I'm thinking unless the right company comes along I'm going to struggle to make it pay. I Have have also looked into it a bit more today and the initial outlay insurance and all the other stuff needed adds up to a small fortune with no guarantee of any work at the end of it. Thanks again for the comments.      

Reply to this Topic
52 Black Shadow

Apr 03

I used to.......................

I used to dispatch in the late 80's.  It worked for me at the time because I was single and loved bikes.  I was able to take long distance jobs and stay out, rather than come back empty (unpaid), and didn't really have any big expenses, so could spend all the money I earned on bikes and bike maintenance.

Back then you didn't need special insurance (just the standard NU riders policy), but I was bringing out around £ 500 a week, but spending 2 to 3 hundred a week keeping the bike in tyres, fluids, brake pads etc.  By the time you take out some tax and NI and look at the hours I worked (plus the risk involved) it doesn't look so attractive. Eventually I lost my licence (totting up from a few unfair pulls) for 6 months, and couldn't stand working as a controller for the same company, so I got a grown up job, and am still stuck in the same line twenty odd years later.

If you want to discuss the details give me a shout, I'm near Towcester, so shouldn't be far from you.

Ride safe,

Shad.

Reply to this Topic
750FLYER

Nov 04

750FLYER says:

I toyed

with the idea a few years ago as I live in London. For me tho it came down to a simple decision... I love bikes and I love riding out on the weekends/eves with mates/solo/whatever .. just to be on the bike cos this makes me happy...  Now I know.. If I was on a bike dodging in and out of London monday - friday for a living there's no way i'd wanna be on a bike in my spare time... It's my hobby/passion/love.. If it's yours don't spoil it by making it a career too!!

I only say this from experience... Many years ago I was as crazy about cars as I now am about bikes.. I took on a car delivery job.. loved it for a while but then it totally killed my passion for cars and I never got it back.

Just another viewpoint for you to consider... Although I appreciate if you're out of work at the mo you just need to get back earning..

Good luck with whatever you decide mate!  :wink:

Reply to this Topic
Boult

Mar 07

Boult says:

Couple of mates

did it in the early 90's  -  one on a CX500 and one on a push bike.

Both after they graduated and saved up enough to travel the world after 12 months of graft. Was OK, but you're never gonna be a millionaire out of it.

Met a guy a couple of years ago, signed with a local agency and just took on the distance / urgent work occassionally.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices