You are in... Forums > General > General > Bike Courier

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

IMB76

Oct 10

IMB76 says:

Bike Courier

I wondering if any of you peep's have ever done it if so. Does it pay OK.? is the work regular.? and what happens if the weather is severe I,E serious snow/ice and gale force winds are you still expected to go out or would you not get any work that day or take a van. Any advice would be appreciated as I'm thinking off looking into this sort of work. scratch

Or even better do you know of any good company's reasonably local to Northants. :smile 

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (06 July 2011 12:39)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
IMB76

Oct 10

IMB76 says:

Thanks again all

I just popped on here to check out my post and all. Thanks there are some good points on here. I have been contacted by a courier company I spoke to the manager and he offered me work on the condition I got a nice bike as that reflects on the company and my own courier insurance + goods cover,Sat Nav and at the end of it would not offer any guarantee'd work he said maybe I'd get 1-4 runs a week others maybe none. I respect the bloke for being strait with me but I think I'm going to give it a miss unless I am lucky enough to get a job on the books with some sort of hourly pay or something so it's looking unlikely. Thanks for the input again I don't know when I will be on here again so thanks.:biggrin:        

Reply to this Topic
frazmataz

Jan 11

frazmataz says:

Courier

Hard lines mate, at least the guy was straight with you. In the mean time have you read this thread on ADV Rider? Its about a courier in Washington DC in the 80s;

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375701

Enjoy:wink:

Reply to this Topic
mkbiker

Jul 11

mkbiker says:

Bike couriers

Hi, I'm local to you (MK) and been dispatching locally now for 12 years now, its true its not what it used to be but to be honest thats more to do with the general economy, soon as its a bouyent market again it'll be happy days. There will always be a need for "the originals" to be needed, tenders (loads still send hard copies), forgotten passports, tickets, breakdown parts. Make no mistake thou its a difficult game to get into, the best rewards are by "going it alone" and obtaining your own customers direct, however this may take up to 12-18 months in this current economy to gain enough to bring in a decent weekly wage or you can work for a courier company, the problem with this is they have many managers wages to pay so want to pay you around 50% of the revenue they make on the jobs, thats great when you've got two or three jobs on but as I've said before its "a bit quiet at the mo" so you'll likely be running with "one's" mostly.

"1 -4 runs a week" !!!:unsure:

Hes not confident of his work is he?? My guess  is his work is mainly van work. (who was it? I may know them)

During bad weather you make the call, if you have a car you may want to swop for the day, remember you will be self employed, the company you work for are unlikely to have a van lying around for you to use and even more unlikely to offer it to you for free.

My advice if you have a job at the mo, stay there, if you dont you are unlikely to have the money to finance a start up , the appropriate bike (unless you trade in your current one) & you may be spending between £500-£700 on fuel before you get paid.

Does it ruin your enjoyment of riding?

Absolutely not (if your die hard that is)

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices