Skip to content

Ask an Expert Yamaha YBR125 vs Honda CBR125 Buying & selling bikes

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Buying & selling bikes > Yamaha YBR125 vs Honda CBR125

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

FraserH

Jul 11

FraserH says:

Yamaha YBR125 vs Honda CBR125

Hey guys, I've just passed my CBT and I'm looking into either getting a second hand Yamaha YBR125 or a second hand Honda CBR125. I'm 19 and currently study at college. I live around 7 miles away from it, and it requires 2 buses every day which amounts to £7.10 in bus fares. I have ran quotes on both models and I'm pleased with the results in which I got. If anybody has experience with these models could they please post and list the advantages and disadvantages of them?

Cheers :smile

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (06 July 2011 18:16)

Post a message in Buying & selling bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Will125

May 11

Will125 says:

YBR125

I was running a YBR125 for about 3 months before passing my test, you can pick them up cheap and a tank of petrol lasts for ages. 

When I was on it, it felt quick... but with a top speed of 62, it WILL piss you off if your doing any kind of dual carriageway.. even when learning, being overtaken by smart cars isn't fun. 

The CBR has an extra 2bhp, but I'm not too sure about how quick it will go, might be best to ask someone whose got one. :lol:

What are you planning to do with the bike once you pass (if your going for your test anyway)?

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Ovski

Nov 10

Ovski says:

Bit older- CG125

Have you consider the older CG? Even cheaper than the newer models and will run and run on not a lot of petrol or consumables.

I had one to commute to college on for about the same distance and it didnt miss a beat.

Reply to this Topic
loopylou898

Apr 11

loopylou898 says:

ybr 125

ive got ybr and its been great, cheap to run and i got 70 out of it so not that slow. would defo recommend it

Reply to this Topic
Driver67

Jul 11

Driver67 says:

More to choose from...

Have you looked at the SYM XS 125?

Made in Taiwan, not China, £1600 on the road and backed by a full 3 year warranty .

I'm new to riding and looking for a learner/commuter to save on my petrol-to-work costs. I've found that decent second hand 125's are not easy to find unless you look at 4 to 5 year old YBRs and Honda CBs, and they come out at about the cost of the new SYM and with no dealer warranty.

I've been and looked at one and the quality appears far better than the Chinese bikes. I reckon they have to be confident about the quality to offer that warranty eh? 800 quid more for a new YBR with a 12 month warranty doesn't look like a great deal to me.

I'm pretty stumped for which one to go for:wacko:. That said, loopylou898's silver YBR looks the business :sunglasses:

Reply to this Topic
loopylou898

Apr 11

loopylou898 says:

Bored

Must say although my YBR has been good im bored already, im doing direct access to get something bigger. With hinde sight i probably wouldnt have bought new if i knew i was going to have it for such a short time. Lucky for me i have a buyer for it so not lost to much money.

Hope you find something that suits soon and happy riding

Reply to this Topic
FraserH

Jul 11

FraserH says:

Thanks

Thanks for the replies everyone, think I'll go for the YBR 125, this does everything I need it to do, and is also slightly cheaper than the CBR :smile.

Reply to this Topic
Andy949494

Feb 08

Andy949494 says:

CBR & CBF...

I test rode the CBR 125 and the CBF125 but not the YBR. The CBF125 is probably most directly similar to the YBR and both the CBF and YBR  are both nice sound bikes. The YBR are fairly rare (which is why I never got around to test riding one) but have a really nice and chunky traditional look.
When I rode the CBR compared to the CBF125 it was slightly faster on the flat and that extra gear helped top speed downhill (since the CBF used to sound like it was going to explode if you rode it much faster than 60ish (down a steep hill))...
You don't say what your commute is - because of the riding positions the YBR & CBF are better city bikes (more comfortable on your wrists, easier to do U turns etc and better visibility) whilst the CBR is probably a couple of mph faster (certainly is than the CBF) so is better out of town.
There was a major change in 2007 on the CBR when they introduced fuel injection. Other people have stated that the previous models are slightly slower (no comment as I don't know) but the Haynes manual is available for the non EFI bike so i was more interested in that one. I was disappointed at the low specification of the CBR (For £1000 more new than the CBF the CBR had no hugger and no centre stand and its headlight was less effective). The service intervals are every 1800 miles on the CBR (not sure about the YBR).
In the end neither the YBR or the CBR are completely unsuitable and you will probably know which one you really want. Go and have a sit on one in a showroom and compare. But buy with your heart because otherwise you will always hanker after the other...
If you buy a mainstream Japanese bike and buy wisely second-hand you shouldn't lose too much if you want to sell again (e.g. after you pass your test?) but I wouldn't recommend a Chinese bike unless you intend keeping it for a very long time (and probably not then either)...
As others have stated the CG125 is also a very good bike and is likely to be cheaper (the 125 Varadero on the other end of the scale is more expensive but looks bigger and it won't feel so small if you are tall)
Enjoy your biking and inspect each you bike you look at well...
Andy

Reply to this Topic
LEO61

Aug 08

LEO61 says:

YBR

I owned a YBR 125 for some time, and rode it through two pretty harsh winters, and it never missed a beat ! A tank of petrol seemed to last forever, the engine was bomb proof, it's easy to maintain, and cheap to insure. With road tax costing only £16, it's a great all rounder. Best of luck whichever bike you decide on. :biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
bensewell

Feb 11

bensewell says:

Get one

I got a new 60 plate one for £1800 with all the kit needed.  Done 5k in 6 months and not missed a beat.  A bit slow with the wind in front of you or going up a monster hill but i do a 60 mile trip 5 days a week and it just keeps going.  Needs servicing a lot though.  But get a manual and save yourself a fortune in running costs.  I'm going to do test on it and get some more experience.

You will get overtaken by cars but then you will pass em at the next round about but just take your time and think of the money you will save.  Mine does 350 mile to £12 of fuel and i'm not the most economical of riders.

Reply to this Topic
edster71

Mar 07

edster71 says:

ybr v cbr 125

Someone beat me to it with the CG idea ... they're very tough bikes, and you can pick a belter up for peanuts.......

Which would mean you could put some dosh away for later, when you want to get something bigger, maybe...

I think the YBR and the CB will be much of a muchness in terms of performance. Build quality of either may not be quite like that of the "jap built" stuff - I think I'm right in saying the Ybr is made in France, and the Honda in Italy (?) 

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle