Skip to content

Discuss This Mystery over speed cameras with no white lines General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Mystery over speed cameras with no white lines

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Mystery over speed cameras with no white lines

Speed camera bosses are struggling to explain why white lines in the road necessary to convict offenders have been missing for a year. A Gatso fixed camera on the A1 has been without white lines since 2010. The lines, typically in the middle of traffic lanes, provide secondary evidence in addition to a radar speed measurement. They allow a vehicle’s speed to...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (08 July 2011 16:59)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Gatso.

I've long suspected that many speed and average speed cameras are dummies but It's impossible to tell. Consequently they're just as effective (within a small radius) in deterring excess speed without spending money on powering them up and monitoring images.

Reply to this Topic
Wellgofar

Jul 10

Wellgofar says:

Con

Another con by our honest Police forces!

Reply to this Topic
Histy

Sep 10

Histy says:

Cop Out!

This is a right cop out, why not just say its no longer in force. People would have more respect if we wear just told the truth. Histy - http://www.motorcycle-training.info/

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
mogulthrash

Dec 10

mogulthrash says:

bread boffing

This creates danger - some road users brake heavily especially tourists, others don't. This is even worse than a clearly functioning camera or a clearly not-functioning camera. Lets hope no-one sets it on fire.

Reply to this Topic
kawasakikris

Jan 08

kawasakikris says:

speed cameras

I got done by a camera where the lines painted on the road were in the wrong place, ie, before the camera instead of after it on a rear facing camera. Didn't tell me you needed two types of evidence for a court conviction, the bastards.

Reply to this Topic
luckyskua

Jan 11

luckyskua says:

That's nothing

I've received a NIP for speeding when at the time I was having a drink at the Pub. Not a Truvelo but hand held Gatso. The 172 form asks who was driving, not whether the bike was locked up and you were having a few pints at the time, so I will be returning it with an accompanying note. Then wait to attend a local station for some deep breathing exercises. I am lost for words as to how to begin the reply.

Reply to this Topic
speedtriplecouk

Jun 11

Don't Take It

Seems like a perfect chance to challenge the NIP!  I wonder how things would change if we ALL chose to go to court instead of meekly accepting summary justice!!

Dom, www.speedtriple.co.uk

Reply to this Topic
nc30netherton

Feb 11

no white lines with cameras

I GOT FLASHED YESTERDAY BY A SLIMMER TALLER CAMERA THAT DIDNT USE WHITE LINES. I DIDNT KNOW IT WAS THERE UNITL I SAW A FLASH IN MY MIRROR AND THEN MY MATE SAID I GOT FLASHED,(I DROVE BACK FOR A LOOK) IT WAS JUST BEFORE A SET OF TRAFFIC LIGHTS HOWEVER I WENT THROUGH GREEN, AND NO MORE THAN 100 METERS AHEAD WAS A NORMAL CAMERA WITH THE NORMAL WHITE LINES, SO I WAS NOT EXPECTING A CAMERA TO BE WHERE IT WAS, NOW IM EXPECTING TO GET BANNED FOR F**K SAKE, HOW DO THESE CAMERAS WORK?? AND WATCH OUT FOR THEM PEOPLE 

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Gizmo1967

Aug 03

Gizmo1967 says:

Cameras without lines.

This is quite easy to explain. There are several types which DO NOT require white line markings, they are: Truvelo, which uses piezo sensor speed measurement sensors which consist of three "wires" embedded in the road surface. Speedcurb/Monitron again they use piezo sensor speed measurement sensors which consist of three "wires" embedded in the road surface. All of these are generally rear facing to prevent drivers being dazzled. Another is Watchman, it monitors you on the approach to the camera & as you pass it, it has at least 2 cameras on it, so you can't escape it.

Reply to this Topic
Gizmo1967

Aug 03

Gizmo1967 says:

@Steve Farrell. Not all of them do, there are Gatso types that don't need the calibration lines, the piezo sensors replace them. Unless someone can provide a picture of the said camera, then it will be hard to correctly identify the type concerned. I keep a close eye on speed camera types, as I regularly submit new, modified, moved cameras & their types to the PGPSW speed camera database.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices