Skip to content

Ask an Expert being seen & lights. Legal

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Legal > being seen & lights.

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

evelinkk

Jul 11

evelinkk says:

being seen & lights.

hello i'm new don't flame me.

I've been riding for two and a half months before i was forced to drop my new wr125x on the floor to avoid slamming into side of a well branded estate agents mini as the driver pulled from a minor road and dove across into an adjacent street without checking the near side lane for me. they speed away so its me vs the mib, but i digress.

Now trying to be seen better without having to dip me or the bike in neon,glow in the dark paint (unlike the fleet of matt black cars i see on the london streets)
or erecting a 6 foot pole off the back of the bike with a 1000w spot light shinning down on me. what am i legally allowed to do in regards to running light or coloured blinkers??

i've seen a couple of honda's with slow repeating
l.e.d blinkers fitted under there head lights and tail lights that flash at the same rate as the "boris bike" lights.
 Also acerbis make hand guards for my wr125x with led running lights in the guards, but they state "daytime running lights" why can't i use these at night, surely being seen is the goal.

/discuss

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (10 July 2011 14:47)

Post a message in Legal

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

lights

I take it that your headlight is on all the time, flashing lights is not allowed on the bike (except signals) but you can wear them.You could have extra lights fitted but you will be limited with your charging system.

Reply to this Topic
evelinkk

Jul 11

evelinkk says:

Cheers jaffa90, thought about anchoring some flashy bike lights to the ruck sack, but it'll eat through batteries....

Reply to this Topic
jon66

Feb 09

jon66 says:

wont make a diff

if you ask me as half the clowns that will draw out in front of you would do so if u were in a car , car driving encourages people to switch there brains off , they are so safe in their metal cucoon , i recently had one hell of a near miss on a roundabout where the silly git didnt look right !!! who the hell joins a roundabout without lookin right??????

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Being seen

As jon66 alludes to, in order for car drivers to see they first have to look, and too many don't!   Fortunately, those of us that ride larger machines to have a better presence on the road - but we still get missed.  You will develop a a 'six sense' for these idiots with experience.  Hi-viz is a good way of being more visible as is road position.  Don't ride in the gutter, move out toward the middle of the road where you are seasier to spot.  In your case I do not think the electrical system on your bike will support much in the way of auxillary lighting and, as Jaffa says, anything flashing is illegal.     

Reply to this Topic
bikergran

May 11

bikergran says:

Hi Vis

I have a Hi Vis that I bought from GO OUTDOORS   it is meant for horse riders..and looks much better than the tabards that you see around....although it was £16  it looks a lot neater  and has a sort of  " H " shape on the back....a small pocket on the front/and looks quite good .

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

Hi-Vis

You could try a Hi-Vis with some letters on it like p.o.l.i.c.e.:smile

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

ARSE X3

Just wrote a massive reply and lost it. Again. AND A-BLOODY-GAIN.

- Get a Philip's extreme vision (+100%) bulb. Blue version better to stand out dfrom crowd. High beams become a weapon.

- Hivis work but nah. (was some biology stuff here).

- Get a LOUD horn. £15 for Stebel Magnum and is a 136db monster which just straight replaces existing horn - check space as may have to run wire.

- Aux lights. LED kits are expensive but will run two lights brighter than 55W H4s for 10W which your bike should easily be able to handle. My rule of thumb is that if they're cursing you for blinding them, they know you're there.

Also, be wary of shutting off the throttle too fast of tapping the front brakes if you see someone at a junction waiting to go as the front of the bike may dip, looking like a flash.

Reply to this Topic
flookyk

Oct 10

flookyk says:

Even with

Hi Viz, Police on the bikes and blue lights flashing, our local Police Motorcycle Section will tell you that you still get some blind idiots that pull out on them.

Reply to this Topic
CharlieSYLO

Mar 11

CharlieSYLO says:

Get used to it

If they're not looking they'll never see you anyway. Just need to treat all car drivers as mongs that are trying to kill you. I know a copper who was killed by a car, 2 old bill blues and 2's blazing going to a shout and the driver still didn't see them.

Reply to this Topic
robsot

Feb 10

robsot says:

people are gonna pull out ya on a daily basis more or less amte.. get used to it and get ur defense system on standby.. i like your bike by the way.. and i dont like many 125's

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices