Skip to content

Discuss This Casey Stoner doubts 1000cc bikes will increase overtaking MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Casey Stoner doubts 1000cc bikes will increase overtaking

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Casey Stoner doubts 1000cc bikes will increase overtaking

MotoGP world championship leader Casey Stoner fears the switch to a 1000cc format for 2012 will not increase overtaking and make racing a much more exciting spectacle than the current 800cc bikes. With more horsepower and more torque available with the new generation 1000cc machines, fans are hoping more overtaking opportunities will arise. But Repsol Honda rider Stoner, who heads into this...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (11 July 2011 11:21)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

Racingfan99 - "No overtaking sign - commisioned by Casey! Shock Horror!! Stoner does his best to talk up the risk of overtaking!"

Stoner - "You have to go out on a limb to pass and do something and take a line that no one else can do or hasn't tried or is unexpected. But it’s a big risk."

Maybe it's me but I thought he was talking about the risk of losing time rather than the risk of crashing. How often do riders take a different line into a corner to pass only to get taken back as they exit & end up worse off than they were? Either way it's a risk they're all obviously willing to take. You weren't aware it was risky?... have you ever considered what it takes to be a successful racer?...  perhaps you thought it was like a video game... ?

Weskit - the interview is by HRC on HRC... to credit HRC would be a bit pointless.

Reply to this Topic
AdieMonk

Jul 09

AdieMonk says:

hedgehog5

no it's Marco Simoncelli that thinks it's a video game....but he does brighten things up a lot!

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

Ha ha yeah... all the traction control & electronic gizmos in the world can't stop him from hurling his bike at the scenery... well done for staying in your seat for a full race again Marco... let's have another soon.

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

Erm... 8 months ago it was December... ?... or was it November... yeah, November was a crap month for Stoner... :wacko:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
RossiDukeBiker46

Jul 10

I hope they change more rules...

First of all its quite a good interview from the 'Kangeroo Kid'. The full version was more in-depth and MCN are about a week late and have also put their own spin on the title as to cast doubt on the new era before its even started!!!

Anyway, if the new thou's aren't going to bring the action back with an increase in the capacity alone then other areas need to get looked at. For instance the F1, which I must state I've never really been a fan of, has been awesome lately. The British round yesterday made the Motogp look a right load of crap in every way. Which it is at the moment. Its un-eventful, processional garbage where only an elite few stand a chance of winning due mainly to machinery advantages.

So how to get racing back BIG TIME but keep intact the precision of riding the corners Stoner says they all have now? Aerodynamics incorporating a kind of DRS system? Increase the fuel limit? Have a controlled tyre that falls apart like in F1? Reduced electronics and less traction control?

Oh, and they shouold run two races each event to make it more of a WSBK 'double bill' for the fans around the world. But the riders will claim the millions they already aren't enough to risk two races!!! Lol.

Reply to this Topic

Sep 10

4619 says:

Borrrrrring as s**t!!!!!

Hey Casey the reason the racing has got boring (no overtaking etc) is because the grid is full of a load of TARTS!! we had an example of the way racing use to be at Le man this year, and what happend? you all threw your dummys out the pram and spent the next six weeks bitching about it, you should think yourself lucky Rossi's riding a heap of sh*t because things would be a bit more lively at the front if he was on your bike, and if ducati dont get there arse into gear for next year then rossi should go where real men race WSB!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

RDB46 - "The British round yesterday made the Motogp look a right load of crap in every way"

Erm... it was won by almost 17secs by someone who overtook the leader in the pits on lap 28 of 52... the winner was completely unchallenged for 24 laps!... last round of MotoGP was won by 0.997 of a second by someone who overtook the leader on track with only 6 laps to go & was battling all the way for the win. I think you should stick to F1 if you like that sort of racing.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

More overtaking.

They can muck about with the rules and the technology but if they want more overtaking they've got to increase the size of the grid somehow, and I'm not sure how upping to 1000cc helps. 17 bikes inevitably strung out along the track is no good. Moto2 has 39, 125 has 31; F1 has 24 cars!

Reply to this Topic
Richard1967

Apr 09

Richard1967 says:

What If

What if bike racing is knackered? evolved handling to such a degree that one tiny advantage whether aimed at or through weather or whatever gives the win ? If MotoGP is to be a spectacle- which I wish it was- the promoters have to do something ! Or do they? what do the Spanish think ? they're the ones who say who rides what and let in the token "foreigner" . I don't think the Spaniards will mind half a million British viewers switching off as long as they keep their huge viewing figures .Superbike, Supersport, and Moto2 seem to be the real interesting races IMO anyway .I think we'll just have to wait and see .

Reply to this Topic
PaceyCasey

Jun 11

PaceyCasey says:

Ban elecs. Simple. Racing will then become 'my balls are bigger than yours' again.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices