Skip to content

Discuss This Casey Stoner doubts 1000cc bikes will increase overtaking MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Casey Stoner doubts 1000cc bikes will increase overtaking

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Casey Stoner doubts 1000cc bikes will increase overtaking

MotoGP world championship leader Casey Stoner fears the switch to a 1000cc format for 2012 will not increase overtaking and make racing a much more exciting spectacle than the current 800cc bikes. With more horsepower and more torque available with the new generation 1000cc machines, fans are hoping more overtaking opportunities will arise. But Repsol Honda rider Stoner, who heads into this...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (11 July 2011 11:21)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

DiscoBiskit - you start off with a fairly rational post about putting aside your hatred then PS with an attack on another rider... what planet?

Reply to this Topic
AdieMonk

Jul 09

AdieMonk says:

discoBiskit

may I inquire as to your nationality?

Reply to this Topic
wak1309

Jun 10

wak1309 says:

sooooo....

Bitching about favourite riders aside.... What about the tyres? If this is supposed to be the pinnacle of motorcycle racing and all bikes are prototypes, why should they have to race on a control tyre? If different bike characteristics mean it just can't be competetive with the tyre surely they should have the choice of rubber they see fit? afterall, they don't have control electronics?

Wasn't the R6 Cup so close because it truly was 'the best rider', given all the bikes were exactly the same (save dimensional necessities, and the colour of the championship leader's bike?)

Adiemonk makes a good point about the weather! The one variable totally uncontrollable and that has massive implications on tyre useage? Be nice to see passes and overtakes from bikes using Bridgestone / Mitchelin / Dunlop / Pirrelli et al!!??

Reply to this Topic
Commando828

Feb 09

Commando828 says:

xxxxxxx haters

Can we just IGNORE these wallies. They are not worth a second of our attention. (ref Acq  etc)

Stoner came out with some very good points re THE line everyone follows.   Dorna and Honda screwed up with the 800s. A five speed box, a little more fuel was all that was needed to 'slow' the 990s. We would also have had cheaper old 990s bikes tricking down to the non factory teams to make up bigger grids.

Reply to this Topic
AdieMonk

Jul 09

AdieMonk says:

wak1309

It was a ll a little one-sided prior to the control tyre. Michelin built tyres at very short notice and at massive expense, usually depending on conditions on the actual race weekend. Bridgestone couldn't compete with this. The rules then changed to stop manufacturers "building tyres at short notice" and all of a sudden the Michelins were crap, and the Bridgestones were the tyres to have. Basically we ended up with a two-tier race each weekend depending on which manufacturer got it right, which was usually bridgestone. Dorna bought in the control tyre to combat this. Michelin didn't submit a bid so Bridgesone got the contract.

Reply to this Topic
wak1309

Jun 10

wak1309 says:

Cheers Adie,

Oh, I know why they did it but I was just trying to make the point that prototypes should be able to use whatever works with their bike? I realise the cost implications but I think it's a shame more manufacturers aren't wanting to be competetive in the top arena?

Reply to this Topic
bruce1937

Jul 11

bruce1937 says:

Control tyres.

I am all for allowing teams to use any brand of tyre available, but it should be just that the same tyres should be available to anyone who wants to use them, not special one off tyres made for a select few.

Reply to this Topic

Sep 10

4619 says:

PaceyCasey

Think you missed the point, I was just saying if rossi was on a competitive bike like stoner then he would be up the front and not afraid to do what simo has been doing (RACING) like it use to be!! I'm fully aware that rossi is by no means the best rider out there these days, but if a rider that gets out of the first turn in front and demands to not be passed then we may as well take the Saturday qualifying results as race results!!

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

4619 - "if a rider that gets out of the first turn in front and demands to not be passed"

Who's demanding not to be passed? I missed that one :(

Reply to this Topic
PaceyCasey

Jun 11

PaceyCasey says:

Fair play bud.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle