Skip to content

Riding & events Riding skills: Top three learner rider complaints Riding Skills

You are in... Forums > Riding & events > Riding Skills > Riding skills: Top three learner rider complaints

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Rupert Paul  says:

Riding skills: Top three learner rider complaints

It’s tempting to go for the cheapest bike training course you can find. Here are three reasons why that might not be a good idea. 1. The bikes Training school bikes have a hard life. But they should still be reliable, of good quality, and come with a reasonable spares backup in the event of a drop. Many riders who’ve come...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (11 July 2011 16:01)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
2wheelsor4

Jul 09

2wheelsor4 says:

Bad advice

Overall a great artical but a few points to clarify. The most important thing when learning to ride is confidence. And the easiest way to kill any confidence is to put a rider on a big bike before they are ready. If you have little or no experience a school should put you on a 125cc to ensure you have the clutch and machine control for the bigger bike. However, most people only need a morning at most on the 125cc.

Bikes with fairings? Are you crazy?? As stated these bikes get dropped, alot. No school will use a big with a fairing as costs too much to replace and makes the rider feel even more guilty if they damage the bike.

You make a good point about spares, which is why most schools use just the one model of machine. Better parts back up and even if you have to change machine for any reason, especially with fragmented training now you only have to get used to differences between machines, nto models of bike.

Bike maintenance is key though, too many schools out there running old nails with instructors who just dont care any more. Ask an examiner, many schools just teach you to pass a test - useless. GO to an enthusiastic school who will teach you to ride - you then pass the test easier and ride safer.

If you dont feel the passion, look elsewhere

Reply to this Topic
tourx4

Mar 10

tourx4 says:

Training

I first did my cbt with road to freedom in weston super mare, i had to stop my cbt half way through on account of the instructor(i'll use that term very losely). He was shouting at me and belittling me the entire time because i took longer to pick up things. Thanks to that pratt, it took a year and a half of riding around my home town on a 125 scooter to get my ruined confidance back. I recently retook my cbt with ace training in bristol and what a contrast, my instructor was great, the training school even ultered the cg125 i rode so i being only 5'4 could ride it in comfort and the day was spent having fun and learning to ride and get my cbt again. I will be using them for my test training!!!

Reply to this Topic
DoodT

Apr 12

DoodT says:

No complaints at ACE training in Bristol!

Would just like to praise the fantastic professionalism and great DAS training I had with ACE motorcycle training in Bristol- next to Fowlers. Accomodating and supportive, I would thoroughly recommend them to any learner in the Bristol area. No complaints here!

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
tourx4

Mar 10

tourx4 says:

Ace training!!

I totaly agree with you, ace training in bristol are brilliant!!!!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
paulieLplates

Jun 12

recommend a training school?

hi. any one recommend a training school in /near burton upon trent as i want to do some mod2 prep. thanks

Reply to this Topic
postaltony

Mar 12

postaltony says:

Poor radio communciation

I have just passed my direct access and found that during the course the radios sometimes failed either due to the lack of inserting fresh batteries or having been set up incorrectly. As was mentioned in the article its tough enough dealing with learning how to handle the bikes and remembering when to do your life savers and switching off the indicator. Having poor sound or intermittent transmissions is a very unwanted distraction. Happy to say that the set up the examiner had was ideal. The radio was fitted into a belt and everything was working perfectly. Lets face it, who want to panic about what instructions are being spoken to you whilst your already nervous on your test.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices