Skip to content

General Restricted License or full DAS!?!? General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Restricted License or full DAS!?!?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

ridgers84

Jul 11

ridgers84 says:

Restricted License or full DAS!?!?

How do chaps. Neeeewbie ere so sorry if this is posted in the wrong place :blink:

I'm gonna be doing my bike test in the next few months, then get a bike etc etc.

Question is: I'm 27, can I do the 33bhp restricted test, or do I have to go straight on to DAS cos i'm over 21???

Reasons for doing the restricted test are insurance etc, also i'll have a couple of years to properly learn the trade.

If I can do the restricted test, does anyone know the price difference between this and DAS??

Cheers

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (15 July 2011 17:24)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
cgman

Feb 09

cgman says:

hope this helps

you dont have to go for the full das. my mates mum is mid/late 40s and shes doing her a2. not too sure on the insurance costs as im only on a restricted licence myself. for the actual tests, the prices should be the same. with a a2 (restricted) test youll be doing it on a 125.

Reply to this Topic
frazmataz

Jan 11

frazmataz says:

Welcome ridgers84

As cgman says you dont have to do DAS, you have the choice between this and the A2 licence (33bhp restriction).

Lessons are normally more expensive for DAS but i dont know about the test fee, best check DSA website or your local instructor for more info.

One thing about doing your A2 license you'll be one a 125 so it'll be easier to learn and pass you tests, also if you decide to do your A2 licence and you buy a restricted bike you wont get your insurance any cheaper than say if it was unrestricted.

One last thing there nothing stopping you from doing your DAS then buying a small cc bike to start off if your concerned about there being too much power.....:winkie:

Reply to this Topic
CharlieSYLO

Mar 11

CharlieSYLO says:

DAS

3 day DAS is about £600 (or thereabouts, depending who you go with). This price should include test fees. If you fail a mod you'll have to cough up for cash to take it again. Personally I'd go with the DAS as doing the MOD1 is easier on a 500cc than a 125 IMO. Up to you at the end of the day, but a good instructor should get you through first time and it may work out cheaper than multiple retests. Then again you might pass first time on a 125 and save yourself a few quid. Good luck what ever you decide. :sunglasses:

Reply to this Topic
Will125

May 11

Will125 says:

A 500 or 600 bike (for me) is MUCH easier to ride. So although you could do your tests on a 125, there is nothing stopping you doing your DAS and paying a little extra and then getting a 125 or if you want something bigger. 

That and then if you wanted to get a bigger bike within two years of passing you would save yourself a few hundred pounds getting it restricted to 33bhp.

Reply to this Topic
Reincarnhate

Jul 11

Reincarnhate says:

DAS

My Cousin (24) and his girlfriend (22 i think) have both started doing their Direct Access, and are both about to do Module 2 in the next week or so, i think between them, the bill has just got to around £1200.

Depending on how your restricted goes in terms of passing/failing, and extra tuition, you're probably looking around the same, sort of £500ish at the lower end.

Reply to this Topic
petejh

Apr 09

petejh says:

das or restricted licence

i would be tempted to go for das then you can ride whatever you like after, insurance permitting,
i also found a 500 easier to ride than a 125 and more satisfying,it worked for me anyway.
good luck whatever you choose.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices