Skip to content

Discuss This Valentino Rossi undecided on Japan participation MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Valentino Rossi undecided on Japan participation

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Valentino Rossi undecided on Japan participation

Valentino Rossi has said he will wait to hear the results of an independent investigation before making his final decision on whether he will race in the Japanese Grand Prix on October 2. Rossi has publicly stated his reluctance to race at the Twin Ring Motegi because of concerns about the levels of leaked radiation that followed damage to the Fukushima...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (19 July 2011 11:38)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
elefantman

Nov 03

elefantman says:

anyway it's not just the riders

I'd imagine there are quite a few crew members who have mixed feelings about attending as well.

Reply to this Topic
hugelean

Oct 07

hugelean says:

Huge kudos to Rossi again, The least any member of motogp should be doing is getting the facts rather than reading the sci-fi based scare mongering and watching films like enter the dragon and Godzilla vx Robot godzilla and basing their fears on that before making a decision. Both Indy cars and the world trials championship will be on at motegi before Motogp. Get the facts hold the event, same as the other series and then if you don't want to go on at least provide some concrete reason as too why.. ps Having read a lot of upto date independant info though no scientist am I, if anyone wants to pay, I'll go for the weekend no question..(plenty of links on motomatters)

Reply to this Topic
aquarius

Jun 09

aquarius says:

Round 15 – Motegi, Japan...

With very few exceptions the pig ignorance and disrespect for the MotoGP riders is displayed for all to see. Let’s get something straight – peak level motorcycle racing is a tough and very dangerous gig – people get seriously injured and even killed doing it, in case anyone hasn’t noticed or a few of the resident village idiots on MCN have forgotten. These are not just talented athletes but also very tough little bastards who often ride strapped-up and in intense pain that would send their detractors off to their beds and sniveling for their Mummies. Please don’t show your sad, pathetic failure to even begin to understand the issues involved here – least of all to question the intestinal fortitude ( that’s a flash way of saying “guts” for all you uneducated morons) of the riders.

If any of you geniuses actually read quality newspapers & current affairs magazines the depth of The Economist, Time & Newsweek et al – you would be at least passingly aware of the track record at Fukishima and environs since the tsunami and the reactors going bang back in March. For starters, TEPCO (Tokyo Electric Power Company) AND the Japanese government of Naoto Kan has obfuscated, dissembled and lied through their teeth each and every step of the way since the event. Nuclear experts were only able to enter the Plant on May 5th to try and gauge the full extent of the damage and leakage and it will take another 12 months until the plant is back under complete control. That’s if TEPCO and Kan & Coy aren’t STILL bullshitting and putting a better face on it all over again.

The fact is that this is the WORST nuclear accident since Chernobyl in 1986 and the #4 Reactor is STILL leaking radioactive waste & contaminated water into the sea. The effect on marine life and the surrounding agricultural land and the food chain is still very much unknown – as are the wider geographic ramifications. Recently, apologists and numerous PR flaks for the nuclear industry have been trying to minimise and pass off as relatively minor the criminal catastrophe that was Chernobyl. This is disingenuous at least and blatant lying at worst. May I recommend to you the book by Martin Cruz-Smith, “Wolves Eat Dogs “ that details how the forest for many hundreds of miles around Chernobyl turned bright Red and the many hundreds of workers were irradiated to their quick or slow deaths and the amount of cancers inflicted on many thousands of others, some many miles away and years later. Cruz-Smith is recognised and renowned for his immaculate research on the Soviet Union and its culture, society and systems.

For Carmelo Ezpeleta and Dorna to start attacking Lorenzo and Stoner and employing highly emotive and dubious misinformation tactics and whipping-up public opinion against them for having a very legitimate opinion on safeguarding their health, is both disgusting and unacceptable. Does this flake not realise that both riders (and the others silent in public so far) know very well what their allegiances and the commercial realities are? Will he be around to question when Jorge or whoever is diagnosed with tumors or some carcinogenic organ failure in 30 years time? I think not. Some may think I am drawing a very long bow here but until a respected and scientifically valid package of information is available and the long-term health risks explained in full – they should all pull their heads in and STFU. As should you lot.
Cheers

Reply to this Topic
Richard1967

Apr 09

Richard1967 says:

I suppose

It all depends on what you understand about nuclear physics and the cumulative radiation from Fuckyoushima power station , its put out a tenth of chernobyl upto now and thats alot and very toxic, Fuckin Pussies Lorenzo and Stoner are not . I wouldn't go near the place, a little quote from a physicist  "Using a median value of 500,000 terabecquerels, that would be nearly 10 percent of the total radiation of 5.2 million terabecquerels released by Chernobyl. The Chernobyl figure was provided by the Japanese agencies.

"If that is the total radiation so far from the time of first leakage, that amount is very serious. It's undoubtedly very bad. That is close to one-tenth of Chernobyl's radiation in a month," said Lam Ching-wan, a chemical pathologist at the University of Hong Kong and member of the American Board of Toxicology."

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
timgsxr

Mar 11

timgsxr says:

revenge

Some would say that the whales invented the tsunami machine and tested it on Japan for scientific research. They should have stopped killing them for their goulash.

Reply to this Topic
DucatiMatty1974

Apr 11

Appologies for my earlier comment

If the report has found that the levels of radiation are safe, then it should be deemed as safe. However if there is still significant cause for concern well that's a different matter entirely. I think that the more vocal riders should take a leaf out of Rossi's book and wait for the report to be completed before jumping the gun, but that's just my opinion. Also this article might help to clarify things. http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2011/mar/18/japan-nuclear-power-plant-updates

Reply to this Topic
Bob Buttamasangy

Jul 08

Fried Balls on Toast!

All I've seen so far is off the cuff bagging of George and Stoner from almost every journo in the business, only to see them back down when they've finally realised all is not as it seems! (see the David Emett backdown for example!). For every flowery story about Fukishima, there is a dozen more of doom and gloom and the ubiquitous three eyed fish.

And don't give me the shits with Flo being the sensible one who's gonna make an informed decision! He's one of the instigators and as far as we all know willingly included his name on the petition.

I'm not big on admitting when the pinhead gets Bob's nod of approval, but it's the cleverest decision he's made for a LONG time!

Reply to this Topic
DavidEmmett

Jul 11

DavidEmmett says:

"Backing Down"

@Bob Buttamasangy I am fascinated to hear that I've "backed down". I must be some kind of coward or something. Don't suppose you'd be willing to share just how I have "backed down" would you?

Reply to this Topic
PaceyCasey

Jun 11

PaceyCasey says:

Would you........

................................take your family there? I would'nt. Just as THOSE here 'bitching' about the riders being pussies etc, WOULD YOU GO? Would you want your parents going? Your friends? Would they want YOU going?

This is an unfortunate event that has cost too many lives already and doubtless many, many more in the future. We've seen some brilliant responses posted on this board re- the dangers of radiation/'possible' Govt cover ups/ references re- Chernobyl etc. Is cancelling or rescheduling one race that big a deal in relation to the potential cost? I can remember Chernobyl exploding and the devastation it caused a the time and in the years that followed (and continue). 

As i said in an earlier post, this is personal to all those involved and we should respect their decisions. It's just a friggin' race.

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

I'd go

That said I'd go to Chernobyl or Pripyat. Just a matter of being sensible about it and getting someone to walk around with a Geiger counter rather than squeeling "OH NO! RADIATION! We're all going to DIE!" From what I understand there was controlled release of radioactive gas but with an isotope with a very short half life. There were more issues with water. That there was no explosion from within the reactor core itself means the high level crap wasn't released in any significant quantity. I think people pulling out regardless is stupid and reactionary. Rossi is being sensible and saying "there's a risk and I want to know before I commit" rather than "RUN AWAY!".

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices