Skip to content

Ask an Expert First time insurance is a joke! Insurance

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Insurance > First time insurance is a joke!

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

RossyC

Jul 11

RossyC says:

First time insurance is a joke!

Looking to get insured on my first 600cc bike,

im 21 years old been driving a car for 3 years with 3 years no claims(altho that dont mean shit) also i got 3 points last year for going through a no entry sign.

im getting quotes for 2500 for third party fire and theft and 3400 for full comp, and without the 3 points its around 2400 for fully comp.

but why does 3 points on a car matter with bike insurance when 3 years no claims on a car doesnt affect bike insurance?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (21 July 2011 18:36)

Post a message in Insurance

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Insurance

Basically, because motor insurance is compulsory, they can have it all their own way.  How about a year or two on something a little more insurance-friendly?  Lots of bikes that are cheaper on insurance are still fun.  You can then move up to something more sporty later on.   

Reply to this Topic
RossyC

Jul 11

RossyC says:

lol

yeah been looking at 400's and they are around the £900 mark fully comp, then looking at the 600's its around the £3300 mark.... hmmmm......

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

What 600

are you trying to insure?

Get a cheap 125cc for a year or 2, that'll give you some NCB to go to the next stage, and it'll give you some experience and road miles, which is what really counts.

Hope that helps.

Reply to this Topic
Rob1000RR

Jul 11

Rob1000RR says:

legal robbers RossyC

We would go to jail for what the insurance people get away with!this insuranse system is in dire need of a shake up.You mention that you have 3yrs no claims on your car and that bike cover is seperate?well if you had an accident in your car im sure it would make a massive difference!the truth is they make us think its seperate cover so they make more money! and the fact is they use all info on ANY policy you have or have had to underwrite cover?Robbers:mad::doubt:

Reply to this Topic
RossyC

Jul 11

RossyC says:

its all bollocks, points on a car license affects a bike license but no claims on a car doesnt affect a bike n visa versa, it should be ethier seperate or joined...

cant they make their f***ing mind up

Reply to this Topic
titan222

Jul 11

titan222 says:

insurance

your age is going against you

Reply to this Topic
Will125

May 11

Will125 says:

What bike is it that you are trying to get insurance on?

Reply to this Topic
RossyC

Jul 11

RossyC says:

was a r6 or gsxr 600, think im gonna have to go for a smaller 1 for a year or 2

Reply to this Topic
Will125

May 11

Will125 says:

That's kinda what you would expect for a 21 year old on a race rep bike....

Rather than going for a super sports, try something like a sportstourer, and your insurance will drop by quite abit.

Reply to this Topic
SlowLearner

Feb 10

SlowLearner says:

RossyC:

I agree it's a load of bollocks.   I had 10+ years worth of NCD, totally clean licence, then lived abroad for a few years.  Clean record there too, but when I came back, they treated me like I'd just passed my test.

You're onto a hiding to nothing if you want a gsxr or suchlike as your first bike - I'm surprised anyone will insure you at all, frankly.   Try something more reasonable, and  in a couple of years things will be more in your favour - increased age, owning a licence longer, no claims bonus.  It'll bring the price right down.

Also, tbh - a racer as your first bike at 21 might not be a good idea anyway.  Get used to something slower first, the stats are terrible for accidents at your age (no offence).

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices