Skip to content

Ask an Expert First time insurance is a joke! Insurance

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Insurance > First time insurance is a joke!

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

RossyC

Jul 11

RossyC says:

First time insurance is a joke!

Looking to get insured on my first 600cc bike,

im 21 years old been driving a car for 3 years with 3 years no claims(altho that dont mean shit) also i got 3 points last year for going through a no entry sign.

im getting quotes for 2500 for third party fire and theft and 3400 for full comp, and without the 3 points its around 2400 for fully comp.

but why does 3 points on a car matter with bike insurance when 3 years no claims on a car doesnt affect bike insurance?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (21 July 2011 18:36)

Post a message in Insurance

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
CBRJGWRR

Aug 11

CBRJGWRR says:

don't try 600 super sports.

Try a sports tourer.

They tend to be cheaper.

Or one of the old 250's/400's.

Just as quick, with the 33 BHP kit in place after all...

smaller capacity means less cost, unless its two stroke.

There is a reason why 125 2T to 400 4T, and 250 2T to 600 4T in road racing afterall...

Reply to this Topic
wilful

Apr 11

wilful says:

sometimes it pays to be old!

I was astonished how cheap bike insurance was - for a new rider, no ncb, £168.00 fully comp on a BMW F650!! Mind you I have over double the years on you and am a woman, apparently that makes quite a difference....lol.

Some good advice for you though from the others, get a cheaper bike for a couple of years to build up no claims and you will also have a couple more years experience. All the best, it's not easy being so young and male. My sons have found the same with car insurance! Good luck finding something you are happy with and a price less painful on the wallet. Ride safely :-)

Reply to this Topic
bmwgs

Mar 10

bmwgs says:

i am with ebike 3rd party fire and theft with 1years ncb at 25 and its 190 for 2bikes so its not all bad. one bike is a bmw r100gs and ones a 120cc trail bikes

Reply to this Topic
BarrelRoll

Jul 12

BarrelRoll says:

Insurance is a total scam

:lol: I've been driving for 13 years and have a clean licence, I've never made a claim or had an accident. I've undertaken a quality training course to complete my bike training to obtain a full licence and take safety very seriously. I'd also like to think that as an airline pilot my situational awareness and sense of responsibility are above average, as is my appreciation that I still have much to learn. The cheapest quote for third party only? £1800... 1/3 the value of the bike. I may as well stick with the less safe 125cc, as I'm not paying for Mr I think I'm Rossi to be scrapped off the road with a spatula.

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

"The cheapest quote for third party only? £1800... 1/3 the value of the bike."

Usual question - what bike/s are you trying to insure?

Some bikes are naturally dearer to insure than others; not just on performance, but on things like how attractive it is to thieves, plus newbies tend to drop bikes - fully faired machines are inevitably expensive after being on the deck.

Reply to this Topic
Cyclonite

Oct 10

Cyclonite says:

2 years NCB.  £400 3 F&T £800 fully comp

Bandit 600.

I loled.

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

Barrelroll

You will probably find your 'job title' helps to load your insurance, you may think it would after all class you as a safer 'bet' as a driver but the insurance companies will look upon you as being in a high stressed position and therefore a higher risk.

Insurance companies will load policies for whatever reason they see fit, they basically have a licence to print money, and there is nothing the motoring public can do about it.

Reply to this Topic
Cyclonite

Oct 10

Cyclonite says:

BarrelRoll

Your job would make a diference - they probably checked the salary of a pilot and decided to charge you more :p

Also to everyone else - Aileron roll and barrel roll - learn the difference, it could save your life.

Reply to this Topic
cairnsie13

Jan 11

cairnsie13 says:

To be honest i found my insurance cheap

I had never been on a bike got a 600 hornet at 24 was £275 third party fire and theft. And now with 1 year experience is £125 i drove a car since 17 and found that it lowered my insurance immensely. The bikes only worth a grand which maybe helps but at the end of the day i wouldnt get an expensive first bike.

Reply to this Topic
bmwgs

Mar 10

bmwgs says:

bikes for me are allways 10x cheaper than cars

the cost of insurances was why i stopped driving a car at 20years old and went on to bikes. as i have found bike insurances to be 10x cheap than car any day.

my 1st years insurances at 20 just after i did my test was 140fptf on a bmw r100gs clamed to 33bhp.  now at 25 going on 26 i have never pay any bike issurances over 200

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices