Skip to content

Discuss This TT World Series project gathers pace TT & road races

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > TT & road races > TT World Series project gathers pace

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN Sportsdesk  says:

TT World Series project gathers pace

TT World Series took a step closer to reality today when the Isle of Man Government issued a press statement saying they were looking to engage a consultancy firm to investigate the viability of such a series. The press statement reads: The Isle of Man Government Department of Economic Development, the commercial rights holders for the TT Races, has invited...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (22 July 2011 13:24)

Post a message in TT & road races

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
mydogben

Aug 02

mydogben says:

TT World Championship

Excellent. The visionaries involved in developing the TT as it is at present and the potential TT World Championship should be applauded for their, not inconsiderable efforts. Bring it on. Oh and where do i get an entry form. ;-)

Reply to this Topic
cthwaites

Aug 02

cthwaites says:

Brilliant. The TT now is surely a de facto World Championship as so few other places hold them (remember a putative attempt to hold one in eastern Canada a few years ago....now there's a bunch of fun loving guys)

But a world series would be just the ticket....real hard racing...surely a mile away from the pop-glamor of MotoGP

Reply to this Topic
may c

Aug 02

may c says:

tt world

great idea hope the isle of wight road racing gets the nod to it will bring in millions to the island.cornwall is another place to consider theres some superb roads down that way a t t type festival will set up hotels cafes ect trough the quiet winter months .

Reply to this Topic
CosherB

Apr 06

CosherB says:

i'll believe it when i see it.  it's only at the feasibility stage so will be ages to wait yet...

Reply to this Topic
Kescheng

May 06

Kescheng says:

No Chance

Great idea but we are going to run into HSE issues. Can you imagine trying to start a TT if it had never been done before? "I'd like to close a road so that I can race motorbikes around it. By the way there will be a fairly high death rate." "Bugger off." As much as we would all, I'm sure love to see more racing of this type before anything goes ahead there would have to be an agreement on the simple fact that of all the motorsports, road racing on motorbikes has got to be the most dangerous. Newspapers would have hysterics each time there was an accident. Nope. I don't think we'll see this anywhere on mainland UK or any of the other surrounding islands.

Reply to this Topic
kinglouie277

May 10

kinglouie277 says:

Kescheng

They're looking to expand towards Asia in particular to host rounds, not the UK. Hence 'World Series'. They're not quite as worried about the health and safety executive over there.

Reply to this Topic
robmclean71

Oct 05

robmclean71 says:

Rules...

I reckon all the courses should have to be exactly 37 and three quarter mile long and have a mountain section?

Reply to this Topic
markgardiner

Mar 11

markgardiner says:

Can't get enough TT?

It seems that the Isle of Man hopes the world can't get enough of the TT. It's not clear to me how the Manx government could leverage the TT financially. Anyone organizing a race elsewhere (see: Macau) can get all the best riders simply by offering decent start money -- and the TT doesn't have a history of even protecting its trademark. I doubt that the Isle of Man could prevent the Macau GP from calling itself the Macau TT, if the organizers wanted to.

Still, the notion appeals to riders who'd like a series of races with TT-calibre start money and fans who'd like more TT-style events.

If you can't get enough TT yourself, you can read RIDING MAN, a memoir of one everyman's attempt to qualify for and finish the TT. My mum says it's the best TT book ever...

Reply to this Topic
H2pots

Jan 09

H2pots says:

TT world series

I think there is mileage in a TT style world series, something on the lines of the old TTF1 world championship. I think there is room for a purely roads based world series or title or cup. There could be a round on the IOM and a round in Ireland (UGP) then travelling abroad where the H & S nannies are not so commanding. No chance on the Uk mainland. one thing that could swing it that money talks, the IOM makes millions from the TT (they made £70m in speeding fines alone during TT this year) every year. Not sold the IOM govnt should have any control in it though.

Reply to this Topic
mrdata

Aug 02

mrdata says:

70M in fines

70M in fines H2pots? You know that 1400 quid each for every visitor right? Might want to check your figures..

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices