Skip to content

Discuss This US MotoGP: Huge crash fails to slow Jorge Lorenzo MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > US MotoGP: Huge crash fails to slow Jorge Lorenzo

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

US MotoGP: Huge crash fails to slow Jorge Lorenzo

A huge high-side after the end of final practice failed to prevent Jorge Lorenzo from claiming a stunning pole position for today’s US Grand Prix at Laguna Seca. The reigning world champion suffered a vicious high-side just seconds after he made a practice start in the short straight between the fourth and fifth corner at the California track. The sophisticated traction control...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (24 July 2011 10:52)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
racingfan99

Oct 10

racingfan99 says:

tyre choice?

I reckon laguna won’t be special for Rossi, good that he’s top Ducati but he won’t go too much better today, the track is for the best handling bike in the corners…and that ain’t the Ducati! But fingers crossed Vale puts on a show.
On the subject of Rossi’s development of the Yamaha – the facts are he went to Yam and was given 3 engine choices to test at first, he chose the one that Yam never expected and that was the start of the M1s improvement. He has done the same at Ducati choosing to abandon the ‘big bang’ engine straight away. That gives the project its initial direction. The Yam improved greatly because it was a Japanese manufacturer and not too different from the Honda VR/JB had been working on previously. I don’t think the difference now is that Rossi is 32. He’s a young 32 because he’s always ridden well within himself and consequently never suffered too many injuries. If you put him on the Honda he’d be front row I have no doubts.
But the Ducati is a very different bike to the others. This has proved far more difficult to sort that anyone thought. The Desmo engine is radically different to the Honda/Yam valve systems and certainly it is a good engine and it has worked well. BUT Ducati are also hell bent on this swing arm/engine being the frame idea just because it is radical even though it doesn’t work. (apart from Stoner) Yes maybe CF can be flexible enough but the engine is always gonna be rigid and the swing arm alone is not a big enough component to create flex in the bike. They need to accept it was a bad way to go, hold their hand up and change to a frame, that way the bike will improve and they then have the rider capable of winning races and a title on it. It’s the only way for Ducati to have riders at the front of the field instead of at the back.

Reply to this Topic
racingfan99

Oct 10

racingfan99 says:

tyre choice?

It’s ironic that we have the one tyre manufacturer rule because Michelin took their eye off the ball a few years back because now I feel Motogp is suffering because of Bridgestone having it all their own way.
We now are in the situation where they bring tyres that work well in a very narrow set of criteria. A few degrees either way and they are anything but good and lets be honest it is rarely 28 degrees an full sun on race days. We have seen them going off after a few laps, we’ve seen some after a race that look almost new and it’s a constant issue. The main concern to me is that the riders are now having to alter their styles of riding not for the sake of the track or the bike but for the tyre alone. To be braking longer just to keep heat in the front tyre for example; just so they hope the front end will grip instead of washing out should not really be the thinking when racing. The tyres need to be operating over a much wider set of circumstances. The tyres are getting too silly now with three different compounds – the bikes are being affected way too much on different corners I don’t think its actually helping with any consistency to the bikes handling. What next 4 compounds on a tyre? It may be that the pendulum has started to swing back and we need to finish the Bridgestone only rule and let others have a go on these bikes. Does anyone know if there is a date when the Bridgestone deal is over? Michellin failed and let those riders down by poor performance of their product but I honestly don’t think the solution is simply to give it all to Bridgestone – its not working that well.

Reply to this Topic
Ivebeenthehero

Jun 09

Nothing to do with Bridgstone.

Ban traction control I say. Fin for the road but not the track. That has always been my worry with it, what happens when it doesn't work!

Reply to this Topic
viaciofano

Nov 04

viaciofano says:

i miss two Italians at the front, Ducati and Rossi. i hope the changes that Rossi needs are quick on the Ducati but this seems slow to work through at the moment. I wonder how much different riders are on the machines as if stoner was still on the Ducati what would the situation be. As to tyres I would think that no one manufacturer would want bad publicity and that racing is testing at the forefront but with terrible publicity if they was so far off. Maybe Spies will shock us all in his home ground with the Yamaha. I will be in front of the tv for sure tonight... Vinny

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

I agree with IBTH that in this instance it's not a lot to do with the tyres... he grabbed a handful of throttle expecting the bike to react in a particular way... it didn't & threw him off... not sure traction control should be banned though... it would be interesting to be able to analyse the figures for number of highsides with/without traction control, though unfortunately impossible to measure without actually banning it, but highsides used to be a major crippling source of injuries.

Vinny - WTF has this story to do with Rossi & Ducati?...perhaps you should post in a relevant article.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
PaceyCasey

Jun 11

PaceyCasey says:

Fair play to JL for grabbing pole after a crash like this. Can't see anyone stopping him in the race other than Bostrum taking him out while being lapped...............for the 3rd time! Well done again Jorge.

Reply to this Topic
mrblistershifter

Jan 10

Piss off......

............PaceyCasey !

The Bostrom brothers have been, and always will be, highly respected and capable champions.  No one expected Ben to place, but have some respect.  I dont suppose you remember him winning 5 WSB races on Ducati ? 

Reply to this Topic
DrZed

May 09

DrZed says:

Traction Control?

It is a recognised fact that modern Moto GP bikes would be virtually unrideable, if it wasn`t for electronic aids, especially traction control.

In my opinion all these aids should be removed from race bikes and bikes should be built where it is the skill of the rider that brings it home first and not who has the best electronics package.

Some of the current riders have flattering results which they would not have if it wasn`t for the `pooter keeping them upright !

Reply to this Topic
buelligan272

Jul 06

buelligan272 says:

Bostrom Bros

Are respected by many all over the world.
Ben won the AMA superbike chamionship and won 6 WSB races.
His brother won the AMA supersport championship.
They have won in other classes as well.
Whats the problem with some people in this country.
I mean pacey daisy cant even spell his name!

Reply to this Topic
buelligan272

Jul 06

buelligan272 says:

Dr Zed

Yes I agree but then Rossi would win everything again and people would not like that!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices