Skip to content

Ask an Expert Hornet 600 weight shifting?? Riding Skills

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Riding Skills > Hornet 600 weight shifting??

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

nc30netherton

Feb 11

Hornet 600 weight shifting??

I have racked up over 3000 miles on my hornet which I picked up a couple of months ago, moving up from a CBR125, and now have alot of confidence on it, however I would like some advice on something. Should I be shifting my weight for taking faster corners or is this purely for sportbikes and knee down stuff, the bike feels alot more comfortable when I have one but cheek of the side of the seat and all my weight over the side but is this the best idea, I dont seem to see other riders moving there weight like me going into corners (I am a short ass that weighs f**k all mind). I just dont want to throw it down the road??

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (28 July 2011 17:32)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Weight shift.

If it feels right it probably is right, so do it. You're probably not leaning off as much as you think you are, and the other riders you see are probably thinking the same thing about their own riding. I can't see a problem. Enjoy!

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

I wouldn't have thought it needs it

Depending on setup it's not unusual for sportsbikes to feel a bit more stable with a little weight shift, otherwise needing a fair push on the inside bar, but IMO hanging off is rarely a necessary (or even useful?) technique.

Many (even most?) most bikes aren't setup that way and will corner at their most stable with rider seated normally and minimal force on the bars.  A little bum shuflle may be right if it feels right, but if it's something you have to think about at all it may distract you from other more important bits of your ride.  At this stage I'd recommend doing BikeSafe, or other post test training if you've already done that, because there are probably more important skills you could improve for now...

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

bbstrikesagain,

You appear to be hanging off in your gallery (-although the bike has good lean and you're not hanging off like a loon with the bike still upright, as you sometimes see!). Is that in fact, "a little bum shuffle," tying in with my own comments?

I think "hanging off/ bum shuffling", even if only slight, puts your arms in a natural counter-steering position because you're sort of diagonal on the bike.

Admittedly police motorcyclists don't lean off and they're quick. My ZX6R seems to like it if I lean off a little whereas the R1 doesn't seem to care so much. It's important to shift your weight and let the bike settle before the bend, otherwise all you're doing is upsetting the suspension.

There's no more important skill to learn after passing your (mainly urban) test than fast corners.

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

No more important skill?

I can thinks of several, starting with observation and planning...

Yes, I was hanging off, but that was on track - I was also overtaking on either side, tipping in to blind corners and trying to play last man on the brakes at 170mph.  All I'm saying is that in my opinion some track techniques are seldom useful or relevant on the road (oops - missed that word out of the previous post), and focussing on them might well detract from what really matters.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
fastasfuck123

Apr 07

-

Don't listen to the negative coments and do what you feel works best for you, your not doing anything that will upset the bike during cornering, if anything it will help as by throwing your weight to the inside you dont need so much lean angle to make the turn.

Only advice I would give is if your trying to find out what makes your bike turn try experimenting at low angles of lean before pushing the bike mid corner.

Reply to this Topic
yoyo100

May 09

yoyo100 says:

Best of both

I'm lucky enough to have an upright bike and a sportsbike (Bandit and ZX6) when on the Bandit it I find I steer it with the bars and can sit upright but on the Ninja I need to lean the bike more and counter steer it so tend to shift my weight a lot more. When swapping from one bike to another I find I can move around on the Bandit but it doesn't make it any better or worse.  As already said, if it feels right and you don't have to think about it then do it!

Reply to this Topic
yoyo100

May 09

yoyo100 says:

Best of both

I'm lucky enough to have an upright bike and a sportsbike (Bandit and ZX6) when on the Bandit it I find I steer it with the bars and can sit upright but on the Ninja I need to lean the bike more and counter steer it so tend to shift my weight a lot more. When swapping from one bike to another I find I can move around on the Bandit but it doesn't make it any better or worse.  As already said, if it feels right and you don't have to think about it then do it!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle