Skip to content

Discuss This Yamaha pulls out of WSB World Superbikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > World Superbikes > Yamaha pulls out of WSB

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Yamaha pulls out of WSB

Yamaha Motor Europe has decided to withdraw their official Yamaha World Superbike Team at the end of the current season from the FIM Superbike World Championship. This announcement follows a full strategic review of the Marketing Operations within Europe including all Motorsport activities and takes into account the continuing severe and rapidly changing Powered Two Wheeler market conditions throughout the region. Due...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (01 August 2011 16:47)

Post a message in World Superbikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Adeninja

Mar 10

Adeninja says:

WSB

Hi well its a shame there pulling out , with no works Honda team ,there soon be as few bikes on the grid as in MOTOGP but its all down to costs , we cant afford the prices of new bikes today ,

Reply to this Topic
cthwaites

Aug 02

cthwaites says:

It's good

This makes perfect economic sense.

1. Full factory support usually just ends up increasing riders' pay (so if you're managing the company, all it does is increases expenses without improving performance)

2. it takes resources away from satellite/privateer teams (because you don't want them performing well if you're supporting a full team)

3. if a manufacturer wins without full factory support (Honda did it in WSB, came very close with Gibernau in GP and Ducati will probably do it this year) you still get the spill over benefits from sales.

So far better to let the teams slug it out and provide them with as much for-profit support as you can. Best team wins. This has been the model in AMA for a while (I know shite riding standards) and in MX, where it is world class.

Reply to this Topic
stu_sp2

Mar 06

stu_sp2 says:

i agree with justbe, the prices are way out of touch, them prices are fair enough for summat exotic with Ohlins thrown at it, but for mass produced standard road bikes, which, lets face it, lack any character at all....14k for an R1!! please, come on. You need to throw a couple of grand at them to get them sorted, with cans, rearsets, gearing, levers, powercommanders and dyno time...the list goes on..because theyre good, but far from perfect when you pick them up .

Reply to this Topic
ducatigav

Feb 10

ducatigav says:

to me wsb is for privateer (cheeper racing) and motogp is for factorys only in my eyes as it would stop the so called blur between wbs and motogp bikes

Reply to this Topic
motogpnorival

Feb 10

The glory.......

......... days are over....... Foggymania and bike sales big enough to get the attention of stock exchanges the world over.... times have changed and there is no Foggy...... fan or not he and his results sold bikes and drew crowds, whether the armchair type or the diehards spending their hard earned cash to thrash around the tracks of Europe waving the flag of St. George...... [ practically jingoism ......].... I personally think the whole WSB thing boxed above it's weight for many years, and it's demise neither surprises me or saddens me....the clue is in the name...... the riders should be grateful, it's provided a lot of them with huge a second bite of the cake when in it's absence there would have meant nowhere else to go...... as for the riders coming through the ranks...... well if they ever did get a taste of the real thing...... Motogp it was welcome to the real world, and prompt cries to stop it....... I want to get off.....

Reply to this Topic
cthwaites

Aug 02

cthwaites says:

at motogpnorival

You are overstating the whole "second bite" thing...only recently has WSB been a place for GP riders to enter...for years it was the class that riders were promoted from....not demoted to.

and in the whole "GP rules" mania, don't forget that WSB is less than 1% off (slower) on the tracks they share. That to me does not suggest a whole new deity for GP riders....just slightly better bikes for many, many times the cost. 

Reply to this Topic
thestig08

Dec 08

thestig08 says:

cthwaites are you reaLLY

just Camerons love child or the real Tory boy ? Chancellor of the bike sport party ?

Reply to this Topic
elefantman

Nov 03

elefantman says:

press release

Pretty surprised that MCN seem to have printed the Yamaha press release verbatim without amendment. What gives? Looks shocking.

Reply to this Topic
gsf1200sv

Apr 10

gsf1200sv says:

Yamaha withdraws from WSB

I have to say it is a surprise to me that Yamaha are withdrawing from WSB at the end of their "50 Years" season. The timing, because of their half century, but also because they have been so successful. It's bad for the championship as well to have a major manufacturer leave. I don't care about the so-called rivalry between MotoGP and WSB, it's all exciting action for spectators, so I really hope WSB can go on to new heights.

Reply to this Topic
remstein

Jul 07

remstein says:

YAMAHA

It's a sad day for racing this announcement makes you think how many more will call it a day, hopefully Yamaha will be back with a private team rather than none at all

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices