Skip to content

Discuss This Yamaha pulls out of WSB World Superbikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > World Superbikes > Yamaha pulls out of WSB

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Yamaha pulls out of WSB

Yamaha Motor Europe has decided to withdraw their official Yamaha World Superbike Team at the end of the current season from the FIM Superbike World Championship. This announcement follows a full strategic review of the Marketing Operations within Europe including all Motorsport activities and takes into account the continuing severe and rapidly changing Powered Two Wheeler market conditions throughout the region. Due...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (01 August 2011 16:47)

Post a message in World Superbikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
TrumpetTriple

Aug 02

WSBK

When World Superbikes started it was much more production based, Foggy got a private Ducati and did well on it, you can't do that now in WSBK as it has moved too far towards factory bikes. 

They need to go back to what it was all about at the start, bikes over the counter with a race kit fitted and away you go, alright Honda had the RC30 but it needed a kit to get competitive but then Ducati got serious and then the other factories had to, look at the Aprilia now, basically a motogp style bike in reality, especially when they stretch the rules as they keep doing, it was inevitable this would happen. 

Race kitted road bikes on slicks - NO works squads = competive racing, simple.

Reply to this Topic
CosherB

Apr 06

CosherB says:

i echo the previous posts that WSBK should go back to its original concept - racing production-based road bikes.  if it means that an evo-style set of rules is adopted, then i'm all for it.  if anyone thinks that a WSBK is remotely like what we can currently buy at the showroom, then they're sadly deluded - superbikes are going down exactly the same route as MotoGP with the electronics and rider aids with costs spiralling as a result.  i was banging on about this two years ago regarding the success 'cycle' between MotoGP and WSBK.  we're likely to see GP on an upward curve with the adoption of the 1000cc rules and bigger grids - anyone bet against melandri in MotoGP in 2012?  what we are seeing is simply what happened 8 to 10 years ago when GP went to four strokes, WSBK struggled for a while and then bounced back.

it'll be interesting to see who does buy out WSBK - if Bridgepoint Capital get it rather than the middle-eastern consortia, then it will likely become an alternative MotoGP feeder series ... maybe ...

Reply to this Topic
wild_stuart

Sep 02

wild_stuart says:

Isn't Dorna rumoured to be putting bids in for WSBK? Isn't MotoGP going back to 1000cc next year? Does Yamaha know something a lot of other's don't?

My silly rumour-mills aside, I thought Melandri already penned a new deal for 2012? Or was that him just expressing he'd stay another year? - Ahh yes,.. here it was: http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/racing/wsbk-melandri-yamaha-2012-contract/

Looks like he'll have a nice windfall then!...

Reply to this Topic
obewan

Mar 03

obewan says:

BTCC V F1

Isn't that the analagy that we should be drawing with WSBK and MotoGP

I think if the racing series made this distinction rather than WSBK and MotoGP muscling in on each other as they appear to be (to me at least) then we could have two great but distinct series.

But with 1000cc bikes in GPand talks of being able to run production engines in MotoGP (I seem to recall that hope it wasn't just the voices in my head) then there is a blurring of the boundaries and hence not a surprise that a manufacturer decides GP is all they can afford to support.

Reply to this Topic
pipmoff

Aug 02

pipmoff says:

This isn't too shocking really, they are just following in the footsteps of Honda & to a lesser extent Ducati who now don't run an official factory team in WSB.

I think factory supported teams or kit rules will be the way WSB is going to go, to reduce costs in the future along with the single bike rule comimg into force next season.

Reply to this Topic
RobTZ

Feb 10

RobTZ says:

TrumpetTripple

Foggy would have been competitive on nearly anything. In the 90's in WSBK he was simply just better then the rest. He would have won many titles but for his forced retirement.

Reply to this Topic
buelligan272

Jul 06

buelligan272 says:

are u sure?

competitive on anything????
Yes on a Ducati
Could only manage 4th in the championship on the Honda!
I would say that made him competitive on one manufacturer only.

Reply to this Topic
bluehaze60

Jun 10

bluehaze60 says:

A lack of sponsorship on sbk and moto gp means yamaha have had to dig deep into their pockets to run both teams. yamaha, finances are at best not good that's another reason why r1,s are so expensive,,

Reply to this Topic
superbol

Aug 02

superbol says:

Hang on

Yamaha was shitting themselfs because electronics was to be surpressed next year and the R1 needs mega electronic aids to make the crossplane engine work FACT! so IF a cut in electronic traction control , engine braking  and launch control was implemented the R1 would look like a crap motorcycle and that wouldnt do sales anygood would it ? Remember Rob Macs bikes in 09 BSB? not a patch on the sort of factory machines Camier and Ellison rode was they .

Reply to this Topic
williewheelbreaker

Jul 08

RobTZ???

Foggy DID win MANY titles, 4 is many and more than any other Bendy Bike rider. Foggy was a fierce competitor and long before his WSBK days but one thing that really must burn him up if you mention it would be Kocinski taking the title on the RC45. That made Foggy look a bit like always a contender (4th in 96) yet still a one trick pony. ***** I recall apart from his wild card rides he did have a couple of "opportunities" to go 500 racing but...... tough call for him. I slated him at the time for waving his crown around like he really ruled the world when he was just enjoying the chance to make good money, murder the Japs, albeit on biased machinery, and be a media darling in the UK. He wouldn't go to GP's unless he was offered #1 factory rider status or Doohan's team mate minimum. ***** The GP paddock looked at him and thought exceptional rider but it was SBK and he was on a Ducati! Maybe a slight lack of confidence to swoop him in on a golden chariot? Foggy took the safe option although his 2 stroke experience and determination could have translated. Sad we will never know, and for me 4 SBK titles on a Duke hardly equates to a season top 5 in 500's of that period. ***** As I have said before WSBK really wanted an Italian Champ on an Italian bike but Italian riders only looked to GP's and had no interest in SBK's. Foggy made WSBK huge in the UK and even bolstered Ducati's image in the states. I also believe Foggy's success actually distracted Brits from the big prize and helped ensure Brits wouldn't figure in GP's at any level for at least 15 years. Thank goodness times have changed. SBK needs to go back to it's roots.... which is World Super Stocks.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices