You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > fzs600 head race bearings

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

parky24

Dec 08

parky24 says:

fzs600 head race bearings

I need to replace my head race bearings to get through my MOT. Was thinking about doing it myself:huh:! Having said that i just looked on Youtube for some instruction and it looked horribly complicated, forks off fairing the lot really. Was thinking of buying all the right tools and doing it myself or just paying out and taking it to the shop. any ideas on how much a shop is likely to charge? I know labour rates around my way are in the region of 60 an hour. Any thoughts? would love to hear them. Thanks

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (04 August 2011 21:58)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
downshift

Feb 10

downshift says:

headrace

What's hard about taking fairings off? Every motorcyclist should have done this at some stage! You've changed the oil yourself before as well right? :ph43r:

It's not difficult to strip the front down and take off the steering stem, it's just involved. The bit you might struggle with is getting the old races off the steering stem, but you could always take this part to a garage and ask them to change the races for you, which'll take them 5-10 mins.

I don't know what special tool might be required for tightening up the main nut, but when I did my vfr I welded together a tool out of some flat bar and an old exhaust instead of buying the Honda tool (which was expensive).

The best thing about doing it yourself is you can clean everything up as you go, which a garage won't do. Assuming you have a decent socket set and torque wrench, various sizes of hammer and a set of punches (for replacing the bearing races in the frame), you should get as far as getting the stem out!

Reply to this Topic
parky24

Dec 08

parky24 says:

crap advice

Yup I changed the oil before, dont think i like your patronising tone...but thanks for the crap advice all the same.

Reply to this Topic
downshift

Feb 10

downshift says:

ok!

Just some light humour! I didn't think my advice was that bad after the first two lines though!

Perhaps you might consider lightening up a bit too! Glad I could help! lol

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

bearings

Bring your bike to me mid uk,i know a one man band guy that charges £30 a hour with a mot station and could give you discount on that as well.

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Head Race Bearings

The advice from downshift was spot on.

There is another advantage of doing this job yourself in that you learn as you go and your confidence builds.  What seemed like a dauntinng task before will seem less formidable.  Just take it slowly (if you have a digital cameral take loads of pictures as you go) and methodicaly.  Eventually, you will get to the point where you start tackling more of the jobs that you would otherwise have given to a dealer/workshop to do previously.  Apart from the cost-saving there is a great deal of satisfaction to be had from working on your own bike and you will get a lot of support / help from the guys on here.   

Reply to this Topic
ronda

Oct 08

ronda says:

fzs600 head bearings

Hi, buy a haynes manual and read carefully before you start and it`s easier than you think.

Reply to this Topic
a68war

Aug 07

a68war says:

bearings

so how did it go?

Reply to this Topic
fogie

Jan 04

fogie says:

advice

I don't think mr misery will be back..:lol: