Skip to content

Discuss This Kevin Schwantz: Stoner can be better than Doohan MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Kevin Schwantz: Stoner can be better than Doohan

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Kevin Schwantz: Stoner can be better than Doohan

Kevin Schwantz has backed Casey Stoner to better Aussie legend Mick Doohan’s winning record in MotoGP. The Repsol Honda rider has won 28 races, including a stunning success in the last round at Laguna Seca, and Texan Schwantz said Stoner was likely to comfortably surpass Doohan’s record of 54 premier class wins. Doohan ruled MotoGP between 1994 and '98 before his career...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (05 August 2011 09:25)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
smilo996

Nov 08

smilo996 says:

Dear old MCN, trying to talk things up again. The issue is that unfortunately it is not just about race wins. It is also about presence, character, respsct and whether supporters can see one or all of these traits in riders on the track.  Ofteless than 2smooth machinery. NSR 500?

People liked Sheene, respected Doohan, Rossi's record speaks for itself and like him or not he has character.

All to often Stoner comes across as a whinging pom. He rode a good Ducati very well. Clearly HHhhhonda have spent a small fortune on their bikes this year whilst other focus on next year. Good tactic.

Thus far he is a good rider and prefers to be in front from the get go because if he has to mix it with other riders lap after lap, he is not so good. This cannot be said of Doohan can it. Freddy Spencer, Kozinski, Aaron Slight, Max Biaggi....... 

Reply to this Topic
williewheelbreaker

Jul 08

yam3358

Re:10 August 2011 09:53***** Randy Mamola once said Spencer was so frustrating because they would roll up for the weekend do 2 laps of FP and be on or faster than lap record pace straight out of the truck. There.... much like the music industry..... it's all been done before by someone else. ***** Stoner is a fantastic rider and easily comparable to Rossi, easily the two best in the 800 era. Rossi has the titles and Stoner has the win ratio. You are always making valid points but why waste so much energy picking finite details with posters who are either clueless haters or just don't see Stoner as a "Legend" just yet. I prefer my "Legends" to be graded not unlike the way the motogp.com site has their legends. ***** Basically you and I are in a position to have our favourites, much like music there is no definitive formula, but the people who are at or have been at the top of their individual game should be the ones choosing who rates as a "legend". I don't believe it should be based purely on stats and most don't become legendary until they are retired or deceased. I suppose no one could complain if Rossi was dropped into the Legends page purely due to his insane stats and to many his legend will run parallel to Ago who is often given less credit due to his distinct machinery advantage which Rossi certainly enjoyed in the first 2 years of four strokes. Rossi and Ago have the switch to Yamaha to seal their legendary status though I must say in my opinion Ago's switch to a two stroke was a much greater leap than Rossi to the M1. Biaggi could win on the M1 so it wasn't great but it wasn't a complete pile as some make out much the same as the 08/09 Duke.

Reply to this Topic
DucatiMatty1974

Apr 11

@smilo996

Just so's you know mate poms are what the Aussies call the English!

Reply to this Topic
Easyfred

Aug 11

Easyfred says:

Can be better?

As already mentioned KS is not comparing the riders, he's comparing their win stats. there is a significant difference

You just can't compare riders from two different eras. i seem to remember a Rocky movie based entirely on the old fu#*er coming out of retirement after being compared to a new world champion. That was a load of bollocks too! I did like the one with Mr T in though.....sorry, getting distracted

Incidentally, yam3358, legend is purely subjective and even legends can make mistakes. Just look at Paul McCartney and Stevie Wonder - both legends but "Ebony and Ivory" is shit

Reply to this Topic
MVmadman

Jul 11

MVmadman says:

thank you

westkit for your advice but I reckon it is up to me whether I post or not.
I really thought the purpose of posting was to give an opinion on the related subject and as a new member I dont think people would appreciate me posting about my bikes or commenting on other MVs.
Just try to make more sense if you are going to reply next time.
Got to say wiliiewheelbreaker your post is just A1.

Reply to this Topic
PaceyCasey

Jun 11

PaceyCasey says:

MVmadman

''Stoner is a very talented rider no doubt but he has a long way to go to prove he is anything like the likes of Rossi or some of the past greats and somehow I doubt he ever will be one of them.''

For one that does'nt want to get into the 'my dads better than your dad' debating............................................................... i'd say you've failed bud.

Reply to this Topic
MVmadman

Jul 11

MVmadman says:

ok clever cloggs?

Explain yourself?
I was giving my opinion on what I think of Stoner and trying to point out that he is a brilliant rider but not in the league some on here tend to make out he is.
Do you believe otherwise?
You are correct I dont want to get into any childish arguments but I have not failed because I wont.
Simple a bit like quite a few on here.
Goodbye.

Reply to this Topic
PaceyCasey

Jun 11

PaceyCasey says:

'Very talented' and 'brilliant' are leagues apart bud. Which is he?

Your go.

Reply to this Topic
weskit

Jun 10

weskit says:

why stoner will be remembered as a legend

If Stoner races until 2015 and continues his current win ratio he will finish above Doohan on the list of all time wins. It would qualify him as a legend automatically.

He will also be remembered as the only rider to win races on Ducati's fickle Desmosedici 800, with no-one, not even the great Valentino Rossi, coming close.

He'll be remembered for coming back after an illness and placing second after most commentators had written him off. And then getting the win the next race.

The passes at Laguna Seca in 2011 are some of the best you'll see, especially on the 800s where it's difficult to take different lines. One of those passes one on the notorious corkscrew, and he didn't even need to cut the corner to pull it off.

Nobody will remember or care who won the popularity contest. Just like no-one remembers last year's american idol winner.

Reply to this Topic
williewheelbreaker

Jul 08

Overdue's

Pacey - sounds like MV isn't a Rossi fanboy just trying to put a bit of balance on the Stoner "legend", but respect, at the rate he is going he will get there. ***** Moaner - Re: 09 August 2011 11:01; I am jealous.... that was brilliant as was Casey in 08.... just not brilliant enough. ***** Stig08 mate - Re: 08 August 2011 01:42; The way you put it there I agree thoroughly, after Misano. Schwantz was doing his best job ever and Rainey was struggling but hunting him down. It was looking like an epic title fight but alas was not to be. Can't blame Kevin for that I know. It was that close I don't think it is even worth pondering what would of happened barring the tragedy which befell Rainey. 93 was a bit of a turkey but there were some moments I get enjoyment from still, even from Misano. Cadalora was causing Rainey and Schwantz headaches that season and I thoroughly enjoyed that. Luca was a 250 style confidence merchant who when it was on it was over for everybody else. Luca won Misano that day and would have regardless of Schwantz and Rainey's fight. Worst image of the day Rainey in the gravel trap. Best image of the day, Cadalora's left side panel with a 3 - 4 inch hole ground in it such was his corner speed! That is stuff of legend for me. Anyway Mr. Stig we can probably also agree, along with some others, looking at it this way. Mamola, Schwantz, Biaggi; Only one 500 title between them and never gonna be a double..... but hey... they all made tuning in or turning up on race day worthwhile as they could throw down in a scrap and made the races and the record books much more interesting.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices