You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Insurance > Insured rider

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

garethjl

Mar 11

garethjl says:

Insured rider

Does anyone know if any insurance company offers a policy to insure a rider to use another persons bike that already holds its own insurance?

for example. my father in-law and 2 friends have offered me their bikes when they are not using them. They all obviously have their own insurance, but rather than being put on as a named driver on each policy, is there a way to ensure me as a rider to use their bikes?

Thanks.

G

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (07 August 2011 12:33)

Post a message in Insurance

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
littleredrooster

Aug 02

Other bikes

By far the easiest way, and most foolproof, is to be a named driver on the other policy. If you try to do it via your own policy, it will invariably mean that there is third-party-only cover in place.

Reply to this Topic
garethjl

Mar 11

garethjl says:

slight problem....

the problem i have with that is that i'd have to pay for each policy, where as i was hoping to just pay out once and be covered for all 3 bikes.

Also, the insurer for my father in-law's bike wont insure me on his VFR800 as i'm under 27.

Reply to this Topic
sar02

Aug 10

sar02 says:

insurance

i am insured with carol nash,it covers me for any bike with owners consent.do you own your own bike?,if so check out c.n.of course it also depends on how long youv,e held your licence.

Reply to this Topic
garethjl

Mar 11

garethjl says:

nope, i dont own my own bike as of yet which is why i have been offered the chance to ride others.

with the Carol Nash policy you have is that a policy on your own bike with an entitlement to ride others? or is it completely unlinked to any particular bike?

Reply to this Topic
littleredrooster

Aug 02

Multiple bikes

In which case, what you're asking for is called a Motor Trader's Policy which will cover you comprehensively for any bike you ride. Good luck with prices for that one!!!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle