Skip to content

Discuss This Classics lost at sea General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Classics lost at sea

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Ryan Spencer  says:

Classics lost at sea

These WW2 military spec BSA M 20, Matchless G3L and Norton 16 Hs are rotting off the coast of Egypt near the popular resort of Sharm El Sheikh. They form part of the cargo of SS Thistlegorm, along with British army trucks and even a train, all lost when the ship sank in 1941. The Nortons, BSAs and Matchlesses were all...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (11 August 2011 16:16)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

its good to see these haven't been looted. respect to the 9 brave people who died all those years ago.

Reply to this Topic
stevieboy1962

Feb 06

I've seen more rust on a Yamaha that's been used through a British winter ! they were made to last in those days

Reply to this Topic
boybilly1967

Dec 08

boybilly1967 says:

The tyres have stood up well. Very nice to see them in situ undisturbed.

Reply to this Topic
coliwobble

Jan 05

coliwobble says:

They're in better nic than my GPZ!

Reply to this Topic
valiantboy

Mar 09

valiantboy says:

Biking 'n' Diving

This is my favourite dive site in the world; where else do you get to mix scuba diving and motorbikes at the same time!! Interesting observation: much higher proportion of bikers among the scuba diving fraternity, often I find at least half the people on the dive boat also ride bikes.

Reply to this Topic
petergwilson

Aug 02

petergwilson says:

Thistlegorm

I first dived this wreck back in the 90s when the railway engines were still on the deck.  It was absolutely amazing especially as a solo night dive (no flaming, I'm more than qualified to do that).  There are bedford lorries and bren gun carriers as well but it is the rows and rows of bikes that really stood out.   The government  are quite keen to keep this wreck as intact as possible and do imprison people caught nicking anything.  Maybe our government could take note.

Reply to this Topic
X2Glider

May 10

X2Glider says:

More pics?

Does anyone know of a link to some more pics.  Fascinating stuff.

Reply to this Topic
petergwilson

Aug 02

petergwilson says:

More piccies

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ss+thistlegorm&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=o3I&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&prmd=ivns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=KSJJTuvqOcaWhQe_vIHHBg&ved=0CDwQsAQ&biw=1680&bih=893

Or just do a google search for SS Thistlegorm and click on the Images button.

Reply to this Topic
stevecase

Aug 02

stevecase says:

WTF r u on about? an M20 worth £4000. If I gold plated my last shit would I get £4000 for that as well?

Reply to this Topic
LaughingGas

Oct 08

LaughingGas says:

How long does it take for tyres to disintegrate

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle