Skip to content

Discuss This Classics lost at sea General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Classics lost at sea

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Ryan Spencer  says:

Classics lost at sea

These WW2 military spec BSA M 20, Matchless G3L and Norton 16 Hs are rotting off the coast of Egypt near the popular resort of Sharm El Sheikh. They form part of the cargo of SS Thistlegorm, along with British army trucks and even a train, all lost when the ship sank in 1941. The Nortons, BSAs and Matchlesses were all...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (11 August 2011 16:16)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
kendizx9r

Oct 04

kendizx9r says:

confused

so what mcn you got nothing better to talk about than whats rotting in the sea,

Reply to this Topic
Waddy24

Sep 08

Waddy24 says:

classic bikes in the sea

this is an  interesting story that we should see more of, instead of people posting stupid smart remarks about how fast they go and calling people "dude"

Reply to this Topic
RSweet

Mar 11

RSweet says:

Assuming they've never been titled... I wonder if they're still covered by the manufacturers' warranties??

Ok, stupid joke. Let's never forget the many brave souls who suffered and died. The excerpts from the interviews with the survivors of SS Thistlegorm really bring home the horror of the event.

Reply to this Topic
gsf1200sv

Apr 10

gsf1200sv says:

SS Thistlegorm

I find this kind of story interesting, as my Dad was in the Navy during the war, and although he survived, he was on a ship that was torpedoed. It was difficult to get him talking about it. The exerpts from the interviews of former crew members of SS Thistlegorm bring it home (to a small extent) how horrific it must have been in those situations. Let's hope the world never has to go through that again.

Like LaughingGas, I was surprised to see bikes' tyres looking so intact in one of the photographs, but I've heard before that sometimes the sea water keeps oxygen at bay, particularly in deeper waters, and much older wrecks (wooden sailing ships) have been quite well preserved.

I like the intelligent comments by RSweet and Waddy24. Gave the subject pause for thought.

kendizx9r and stevecase just sound like idiots. No thought whatsoever for those who sailed or even those who died on this and many other fine ships on both sides.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices