Skip to content

Discuss This MCN IAM Better Riding Guide: Cornering General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > MCN IAM Better Riding Guide: Cornering

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Stefan Bartlett  says:

MCN IAM Better Riding Guide: Cornering

Cornering is arguably one of the hardest but most enjoyable manoeuvres on a two-wheeler. Practice is inevitably important to master them. Whether it’s a hair pin bend or a slight corner, you’ll be ahead of everyone else if you familiarise yourself with this advice first. To develop safe, smooth and progressive cornering skills you need to handle every bend in a precise...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (12 August 2011 16:47)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
snapple

Apr 11

snapple says:

Rights over Lefts all day long

I much prefer rights over lefts too.... I think it's due to roundabouts and also I guess it depends where you usually ride... I have quite a few long fast rights but very few decent lefts. When I went over to France I improved heaps on the lefts... so there you have it! if you have trouble with your lefts hop on the ferry, get some sun and some seriously good empty twisty roads!

Reply to this Topic
Bolfunga

Aug 07

Bolfunga says:

Lefts Preferred

I prefer left hand bends to right hand bends - always have done, and have spent years theorizing as to why. After 35 years of riding I've reached the conclusion that is is down to the camber. When taking rights with a neutral or positive camber in that direction I have no issue. Certainly, really looking through the bends (left or right) helps enormously too. I now find that I'm more comfortable through rights if I just focus a little more.

Reply to this Topic
zephyrdave

Jul 08

zephyrdave says:

problem

The only problem you face is on left handers when some muppet coming the other way wants to take the racing line and clip the apex putting you in conflict with them. Most of them have no chance of altering course and you have to take evasive action. Had this happen a couple of times on country roads, one guy was so far over his head was 1/3 of the way across my lane, trying to get his knee down on the centre line by the looks of it. He was pretty lucky I wasn't in the car...

Reply to this Topic
polhouse

Sep 05

polhouse says:

All these IAM articles so far have part of the text obsured by a picture. I use IExplorer so it should not be too hard to put together an article that you can see in it's entirety. 

Does anyone else have this problem?

Reply to this Topic
happylemon666

Mar 10

training

I don't have a preferred corner direction, but for some reason when I'm day dreaming I always think about taking right handed corners as being my most natural.  Dunno why.

I would also like to back the chap who mentioned the training.  I took some years ago after passing, it was great.  Then for no apparent reason I had a nightmare weekend in the rain and although I didn't crash or anything, I lost all confidence.  Booked more training straight away to get it back again, see where I was going wrong etc.  It really works, and is probably the only time I've laughed and joked with someone once from the fuzz too!

Reply to this Topic
jabba8

Apr 10

jabba8 says:

Practice

Sound comments about extra training. I was very averse to the suggestion that it could make me a better rider. Mate dragged me along and never looked back. It raises issues I ahd never acknowledged in 20 years of biking.

One sidenote - any new riders out there looking for the best/safest place to practice cornering without any hassle? B roads a bit scary and covered in shite, gravel, mud? Head to your nearest new town/industrial estate in the evenings. Smooth tarmac, well swept by daytime vehicle use, deserted, no plod, roundabouts galore, sweeping mid - speed corners. I cut my teeth in Milton Keynes and Livingston in Scotland. In fact still take any new bike or test ride to similar locations to get a real insight in to how it handles.

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

IAM.

"-raises issues I had never acknowledged in 20 years of biking."

I'm interested. What were those issues?

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

all very good but

It's not uncommon for IAM/RoSPA trained riders to go by the vanishing point or LPOV as mentioned above, but (a) without much idea how long it would really take to stop mid-corner and (b) without considering that on a corner you're likely to come into conflict with another road user, perhaps a target fixated biker having a "moment".  By and large they'll be smooth, "making progress", but sometimes (often?) with a false sense of security.  With training comes over-confidence...  Even class 1 police riders crash sometimes.  Next time you're cranked over ask yourself what would really happen if the LPOV pushed on at speed only to reveal a stinger, pothole or manured surface - could you really haul it up in time?

Practice braking while turning, perhaps on a big roundabout with no traffic and perfect visibility, to learn how it really feels, what the bike does, and how to handle it (don't do this on a track unless you're alone or want to be rear ended!), then reconsider real safe stopping distances on corners.  At a decent lean you  might need more than double straight line distance to stop, and at max lean stopping just isn't possible, end of.

If there are large hedges, then beyond the LPOV there might be more than just a dodgy surface - consider whether you might need to re-double the distance again, to account for yourself and an (as yet unseen) oncoming unguided missile, i.e. similar rules to a single track road.  If all this has you taking some corners like a pussy, but staying alive, I'm all for it.  The track is surely the place for blind faith...

Real road corners with visibility to safely attack them, MCN or bike mag photo shoot style, are very few and far between, which is why journos resort to radioed spotters up ahead, to check the coast is clear way beyond the rider's LPOV.  Irresponsible, MCN et al?

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
polhouse

Sep 05

polhouse says:

Web Team

Further to my previous comment the nice Mr Tom Cambio @ MCN has fixed this so my viewing is now unimpaired.  Thanks for the great response!

Reply to this Topic
arryace

Apr 10

arryace says:

all very good but

the article above is dealing with cornering alone and whilst the lpov is very important in getting cornering right all the other things you mention bb must be taken into consideration as part of your riding plan.

training or misunderstanding of the training can as you say lead to over confidence

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices