Skip to content

Discuss This MCN IAM Better Riding Guide: Cornering General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > MCN IAM Better Riding Guide: Cornering

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Stefan Bartlett  says:

MCN IAM Better Riding Guide: Cornering

Cornering is arguably one of the hardest but most enjoyable manoeuvres on a two-wheeler. Practice is inevitably important to master them. Whether it’s a hair pin bend or a slight corner, you’ll be ahead of everyone else if you familiarise yourself with this advice first. To develop safe, smooth and progressive cornering skills you need to handle every bend in a precise...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (12 August 2011 16:47)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
2smoke

Jul 12

2smoke says:

Excuse my typo..

See below!

Reply to this Topic
Jarrefan

Nov 09

Jarrefan says:

I've done a BikeSafe course with the fuzz and really enjoyed myself....Mirrors were definitely my down fall....but not anymore. Want to try a IAM course next.....I live in north wales, can anyone suggest a good group?

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Well piroflip

Riding a motorcycle is not hard. Riding a motorcycle well is very difficult. Try being a pillion of a national championship level (BSBK or AMA level, not Nauru) rider on a track, and you will see how far you are from being able to get the most from a bike.

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Push and Pull?

Push and pull – what’s that all about? Correct technique is to only steer with the inside arm and have the outside arm relaxed.

The bike should be “flopped” as quickly as possible into a lean with a good push, not gradually leaned in.

And no mention of trail braking? Hard to keep the suspension in the middle of its range without it, maximizing ground clearance and minimizing traction robbing stiction. Also, the engine should be downshifted to keep rpm near or above peak torque, and to aid in braking (on a sport bike, one can just use the engine and ignore the rear brake pedal, which is not easy or even possible to use with the balls of the feet on the pegs).

Reply to this Topic
kl595

Nov 03

kl595 says:

Who oversees the IAM? Which person, or persons, has the responsibility to say this is advanced motorcycling and this is how you do it?  Who sets the standard for advanced riding techniques and is responsible for saying yep that is good but this is better? I would love to know.

"The angle between your forearms and the fork legs should be as close to 90° as is possible"

Surely this depends on the type of bike you ride, the angle of the forks, type of handlebars, length of tank, distance of seat from the tank, the length of your arms and the length of your upper body.

I'm not trying to be clever but just poking some fun at an institution

Reply to this Topic
rcraven

Nov 08

rcraven says:

Piglet  PUSH AND PULL  Yes but you havnt said which way.?  You obviouisly like the track as you specifically mention track techniques for turning and braking.If that was under proffesional instruction you may have been in the toilet when the rest of them were told that you do not  take the track onto the road.

The basic principles of turning are the same or should i say similar both on the track and road but the way in which its used is totally different.  On a track its all testosterone. adrenalin with the  associated speed and aggression.

On the road it has to be safety, consideration, non aggression and a proper attitude to the  inherant danger that are not present on a track.  Forward observation and peripheral vision. awareness,observation etc. are more important as there are far more stimulus to the sensory nerves than on a track

. Once one has learned on the track one can in the main turn the learning brain off and go with the part of the brain that remembers where the turning points are and where to   brake or slow  and accelerate and overtake, The automotive part of the brain.  Thats all you are doing apart from maybe understanding the nuances of the bike and what it can and cant do at speed.

If you push that envelope  further and further you are likely to come off, fortunately without serous injury but on the road its a different matter.  On a track there are no cars turning into your tarmac to contend with and without learning the simple techniques of positive counter steering even you would be in trouble. Seems like you have had training to learn what you already know so why show disrespect to others  who are only doing the same thing.

Positive countersteering has in the past been taught  only at Advanced Level but now being part of the DSA road test many more riders will understand the mechanics of it and that whilst its something they have been doing unconsciously all their riding life they have not identified it and have not been doing it consciously. and with that understanding  its where it can be a usefull tool to come out of a tight corner or to swerve to avoid a vehicle in their path. and live another day.

So cary on with your track days i hope that you enjoy them but dont diss others who you may feel  may not be as fortunate as you or those of us who do not consider motorcycling as  just a hobby and who want to ride with safety and concern not only for their own safety but with consideration to their families, wife and children, mums and dads.

Happy riding..... and many years more.... I hope.

Yes I do have issues, being a retired police officer i was the guy who broke the bad news to the relatives of adeceased rider.  Not a nice job.  So ride safe and get back safe.

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

@ rcraven

Sorry, I learned to steer with only one arm in a Lee Parks/Total Control STREET RIDING class (Step 7 of cornering, on page 82 of his Total Control book also). We had everything in the class from Harley-Davidson baggers and Sportsters, metric cruisers, Gold Wings, BMW tourers, dual-sports on knobbies, naked standards, my Dullsville, as well as sport-bikes.

Street cornering should be the same as track cornering, except for line and how much margin you leave in reserve.

Reply to this Topic
DorisM77

Oct 12

DorisM77 says:

Welcome to____Seekingbikers (Please Google it)____the largest dating site for motorcycle enthusiasts. Have a try and you're bound to find your biker soul mate to ride and travel together with hundreds of thousands of single motorcycle men and women are there. :)

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices