Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Hackey

Mar 11

Hackey says:

Advanced rider courses

Hi Guys!

Passed my Mod2 last week with no minors or faults which my instructor said was a first for him. Examiner said my observations were very good which I was really chuffed about. 

Im really interested in doing a advanced course that perhaps can give you insurance discounts etc 

Not really sure where to look, Had a peep at the Enhanced rider scheme but it seemed really complicated as you have to get a trainer it said but needed some advice!

Cheers Guys!

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (13 August 2011 20:49)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Jim JIm

Aug 02

Jim JIm says:

Advanced Rider Course

Hi Hackey

Why not book yourself onto a Police Bikesafe course. They will look at your riding then be able to point you in the right direction for further training.

Regards

Reply to this Topic
lee711

Nov 08

lee711 says:

Advanced rider courses

I did the I.A.M. course and found it worth every penny. If you've just passed your mod 2 then i reckon you'll find it invaluable,it'll help with your confidence and riding skills as well as trying to make you a safer rider, you also get a reduction in insurance premiums once completed when you apply for quotes. I.A.M.

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

As above

Bikesafe courses are good but may well be booked up by now. They're also one day of training.

IAM courses are £140 for a year of training. They have a structured way of teaching and the end result is being examined by a police class one rider. ROSPA may well have similar prices but the difference is that instead of pass / fail with the IAM, you can get three grades of pass and you must be retested every so often to ensure you're still at the required standard.

There is a downside in that you may have to put up with the occasional arrogant "I'm better than you and because I do this for free it makes me amazing" arse and if you get a choice I'd go for the older guys - the ones who have been riding for 40 odd years, have seen it all and what they say is gospel.

The ERS is just stupid - it's pass plus for bikes and frankly is expensive and gives you little in comparison to similarly priced courses. I was told during my training for test that I'd tick all the boxes for the ERS and I just had to pay him to go out and do the assessment... Err.. if I tick all the boxes training for my test then what else is it giving me beyond test standard? Avoid.

There are also expensive advanced instructors but whether they're worth the money is seriously debatable - the IAM guys do a pretty good job, base their training on Motorcycle Roadcraft (I suggest buying a copy and applying it) which is the bike copper's textbook and have a decent assessment system.

Frankly, IAM or ROSPA are the best value for money and give damn good advanced training. Just go for which ever one is closer to you. Also, there will be people who look down on you for taking advanced training saying it's "boring". If you find advanced riding boring then fine - it's always up to you if you apply it but the odds are it'll save you the inevitable off or two that most people get post test. It will also massively accelerate your development of motorcycle control at this stage.

Insurance... I put advanced courses down and got nothing off. I think some insurers give 5% or for IAM and ROSPA as well as maybe ERS so but nothing to get excited about. The cost savings come in not having to patch up a bike and replace your kit.

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

IAM / RoSPA

RoSPA has the advantage of grading you and requiring a retest every three years - like being a first aider you can't sit on your laurels.  It also has the advantage that it can be cheap and flexible, local group membership and affiliate or full membership aren't expensive and turtoring isn't charged for - you're just expected to contribute to your tutor's running costs at a very reasonable rate.

Disadvantage of RoSPA may be patchy local coverage, long waiting lists, and the fact the you, and any insurers, won't be happy with a Bronze, (equivalent to got-it-for-life IAM pass) so you'll have to work harder for longer, but you'll be all the better skilled for it.

BikeSafe is an excellent introduction toi smarter riding, get it booked!

Reply to this Topic
arryace

Apr 10

arryace says:

ins discount

you will get more of a discount from not claiming after crashing your bike because of the skills you have learnt than you will for showing them your certificate.

plus you might just live longer :winkie:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle