Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

anotherfella

Aug 11

anotherfella says:

faulty starter motor

hi all

i have a gs 550 from 79 and i'm having a nightmare with my starter motor! i hit the starter button the solenoid clicks and nothing happens, i check the voltage from my battery it's like 11.6 which should be at least fine right? then i check the voltage between the two sides of the solenoid it's 11.6, i check the voltage between the solenoid and the starter and it's 0. i pull the starter motor out and flick the starter button and the starter motor fires straight up (with a nice big spark) and then i put it back in and it works for a few cranks then stops again.

WTF?

any ideas?
Edit/Delete Message

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (15 August 2011 17:15)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
hairybob

Jan 09

hairybob says:

faulty?

where is this nice big spark, sounds like your starter motor brushes are worn out!

ps and your battery voltages is low

Reply to this Topic
def1938

Aug 11

def1938 says:

starter

Simple..........charge your battery and rebuild your starter.:doubt:

Reply to this Topic
anotherfella

Aug 11

anotherfella says:

aghh

sorry i got that wrong the voltage on the battery  is 12.4. and holding, thank god, i just bought it! 

right which bit are the brushes(just so i'm sure!) the bits that stick out the end and lock with the starter gear earthing it? 

and will my starter fry if i bypass the solenoid too many times? and how many times would be too many? 

where do i buy new brushes?

the spark was between the "brushes" - as i think they are, and the bit of engine they were touching

:mad:

Reply to this Topic
anotherfella

Aug 11

anotherfella says:

ummm

so no a quick google search reveals the brushes are not what i thought they were and where i can buy them. 

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

GS550

I had a 1981 GS550ET many years ago.  What a cracking bike that was.  :smile

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

battery

Your battery voltage is to low at 12.4,charge it with a bike charger over night and then check it after being off charge for a hour,you should get a minimum 12.8 to 13. You could use jump leads from a donor battery with that engine stopped to see if it`s your battery at fault.You can bypass the relay as well to see if the relay switch is faulty.Sparks of carbon brushes is normal.Also check the earth connections from the battery to the frame and engine to frame.See how you go on with them checks. 

Reply to this Topic
anotherfella

Aug 11

anotherfella says:

thoughts this morning

cheers marcus! i hear that a lot, i hope one day i get to ride mine! payed way too much for a spares or repairs bike and have now been tinkering with the electrics for over a year! finaly got it turning over on the starter with spark last week. put the carbs and fuel tank on and then first of all no spark then no starter motor. then me screaming and tearing my hair!

disassembled it last night and put it back together and now my solenoid doesn't even click! 12.4 should be enough to engage the solenoid. 

but all in all i think it must be the brushes that are the main problem as i checked all the connections and i had continuity at all points. and when the solenoid was engaging there was plenty of current to turn over the engine but the starter motor wasn't drawing any current at all.

tonight i will tear down the starter motor and post a pic of the brushes. and if some knowledgable bloke could let me know if they look like the problem that would be great

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

anotherfella

Even when new the electrics were the weak point on these things - the rectifiers would go up in smoke.  Everything else was pretty solid and it was great fun to ride.  I'll try to find a picture of mine as it had a few alterations and always stood out in a crowd.  The frame was powder coated blue, the side stand, centre stand, footrests and fuel cap flap were chromed and it was fitted with a Marshall 4 into 1.  Sweet!

I hope you get yours up and runing OK.  Stick up a couple of photos if you get a chance.     

Reply to this Topic
hairybob

Jan 09

hairybob says:

starter

www.manualederepartie.info.pdf  do a gs 750 manual which used the same starters as yours, their 550 manual is too modern. I still have my gs 750 ec that I bought new in 78 cost £1400 .  

Just read your last reply don't discount the solenoid until you prove its ok they are known to fail .

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

replies

You can take a horse to water but you cannot make it drink it.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices