Skip to content

General My first Euro bike trip. Hints and tips please General

You are in... Forums > General > General > My first Euro bike trip. Hints and tips please

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

hondadan

Jul 09

hondadan says:

My first Euro bike trip. Hints and tips please

Guys and Girls

Doing my first European ride at the weekend. Quite nervous but also very excited.

Please could you give me any tips or hints for riding in Northern Europe ie - Holland/Germany and Belgium. Good roads to ride/cheap bike friendly places to stay/ driving etiquate etc etc

All tips and hints welcome.

Thanks

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (17 August 2011 19:08)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Kamchat

Aug 02

Kamchat says:

If you are travelling

to Spain ... the locals do not take kindly to eating Haribo in the pool. :winkie:

Reply to this Topic
babyrocket

Aug 11

babyrocket says:

not very funny

but its ok its the boss hog doing the piss taking .

Reply to this Topic
Kamchat

Aug 02

Kamchat says:

babyrocket

Piss taking the piss taking ...

I see what you did there ..:tongue:...

Reply to this Topic
davemdixon

Jul 09

davemdixon says:

Foreigners

drive on the wrong side of the road. Remember this first thing in the morning before you ride onto the road. You will be ok. My first time riding abroad was easier than I thought. Just keep your wits about you and you will be alright. Happy touring.

Reply to this Topic
babyrocket

Aug 11

babyrocket says:

and still not

as funny as your face .

Reply to this Topic
foxman

Aug 02

foxman says:

Few things...

1. Watch your speed - the police hide with the radar gun and their pals puull you further down the road. If cars coming in opposite direction are flashing you, slow down

2. Speed camers in Holland are NOT, form what I recall, day-glo coloured

3. In Belgium, if you see chevrons on a corner or a sign warning of tight bend, it means what it says, not like in UK where gentle corners have them

4. Make sure have licence, log book and insurance certificate

5. Carry spare bulbs and fuses as lights on is the law in some of Europe

6. Carry some cable ties and duck tape/gaffer tape for those emergency repairs

7. If looking at getting cheap cigs, Belgium I think is cheapest. Also, take clothes you no longer want so you can just throw them away when dirty rather than lugging dirty washing around with you. Also makes more room for the souvenirs, baccy, wine, beer etc

8. Finally, be aware that with extra weight of touring gear that suspension might need adjusting on the back

Enjoy :smile

Reply to this Topic
ninjachica

Jul 08

ninjachica says:

Euro Tips

Don't flash your lights (eg, to let someone through) it doesn't mean the same in europe.  EG, in Germany, it means I'm comming through.

When travelling on the autobahn, the 'unlimited' speed only applies in rural areas.  This is quite awesome, when you are travelling at 150+, and realise there is an Audi trying to get past you!

On the continent, drivers trying to pass on the autobahns will have their indicators on!  (If they're not on, they are happy to sit behind you.)

Biggest tip:  Take time, to take in the scenery and enjoy yourself.

Reply to this Topic
old(ish)git

Apr 08

old(ish)git says:

Take a tent...

and sleeping bag.By far the cheapest way....or at least take a sleeping bag and try the camp sites first,most have spare tents they will hire out for the night.Try and avoid toll motorways,as these will double the cost of your journeys.Belgium is like home from home roads wise,but not tolls, so you can pass through it pretty quick.If you are sailing to a Belgian Port,I should be tempted to get to the Ardenne region asap.and then spend more time in Germany and loop back through Holland.:smile

Reply to this Topic
obewan

Mar 03

obewan says:

Dan

1. Enjoy yerself

2. Really enjoy yerself.

Depending on where you are hopping off - Calais, Hook of Holland depends on where to head.

If however your jjourney takes you anywhere near the Belgium/German border - Spa francorchamps, Aachen way then there are stunning roads in the Ardennes and Eiffel regions. One of the best is the B258 Nurburg ring - towards Aachen (or even the other way round if you prefer). Google the Nurburgring and you will see the B258 snaking east from there.

There is also the B257 south from Nurburg towards Bitburg - home of the famous Bit brewery - Bitte ein Bit as it says on the beer mats. then East towards Luxembourge and then belgium and france home.

But be careful in the woods - lots of wild gummy bears and they hunt in packs

Reply to this Topic
Fazerpod

Mar 06

Fazerpod says:

Fuel stops

When you stop for fuel or anything else, consiously think about which side of the road to ride on before pulling off.  It's messed with my head many times.  I know someone who was killed riding up the wrong side of a slip road in Germany.

In France, a lot of fuel stations are unmanned and you can't use them unless you have a French credit card.  Don't bother stopping at one of those.

In France the cars pull over to let you past.  When you get off the train / ferry at Dover, don't expect the same courtesy from the Brits.

On toll roads you will have to buy a ticket - keep change in your tank bag or somewhere accessable.  Oh, and don't drop the ticket or they charge you the toll for the full length of the road, however long that may be.

Take the Eurotunnel, much quicker and easier than the ferry, no worrying about strapping down you bike cos you just put it on the side stand and stay with it.

Oh yeah - on duel carrigeways in Belgium / Netherlands, cars / lorries will pull into the overtaking lane when they want to overtake regardless of whether there is someone coming.  If you're already in that lane the etiquette is to slow down to let them pull out.  So if you are blatting down the overtaking lane, expect someone to pull out in front of you and have your hand on the brake ready.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices