Skip to content

Discuss This Yamaha rue Jorge Lorenzo’s wrong tyre choice in Brno MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Yamaha rue Jorge Lorenzo’s wrong tyre choice in Brno

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Yamaha rue Jorge Lorenzo’s wrong tyre choice in Brno

Jorge Lorenzo’s factory Yamaha team boss Wilco Zeelenberg has admitted the Spaniard’s front tyre gamble in Brno last weekend dealt a big blow to his hopes of successfully defending the MotoGP world title in 2011. Lorenzo opted to run the softer compound Bridgestone front tyre in the Czech Republic race and it proved to be the wrong decision after the current...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (18 August 2011 11:52)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Yamaha3358

Mar 11

Yamaha3358 says:

In MCN paper this week

'wrong tyre choice by Lorenzo gifts Stoner win.'
That's sort of insinuating Lorenzo would have 100% beat him had he chose the hard front tyre. Maybe im just being too critical to Matt Birt, but that doesn't sound right surely ?

I don't remember a 'Tyre problems for Stoner gift Lorenzo win' at Mugello but hey it makes no difference, he won and that's that.

I also find it pretty laughable on BikeSportNews that David Miller reckons Rossi would have got a podium, if they left they tyre warmers on a little longer(yes, seriously).

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
kgb333

Apr 09

kgb333 says:

Oh for goodness sake

The guy had a moment with the hard and had a moment with the soft. Is it possible Jorge was just fucking up a lot at Brno. MCNotW - Monday morning coach extraordinare.

Reply to this Topic
ChupaChump

Aug 11

ChupaChump says:

Bizarre decision IMO

I can't understand why Jorge/Yamaha tried this approach.  It's a bit early to start gambling at this point in the season unless they thought they couldn't take it to Stoner on the same tyre?  Reminds me of the time Ducati sent their 2 riders out on wet tyres at a (pretty much) dry Donington.  lol...

Reply to this Topic
Bootlegger

Aug 11

Bootlegger says:

Winning factors

Going into the race, Lorenzo no doubt focused on Dani as potentially the runaway winner. Lorenzo needed to win and Stoner was a secondary consideration after the warm up. No doubt the focus was Dani in terms of winning. It all turned pear shaped early in the race and Lorenzo lost out big time in terms of the Championship. His choice had merit tactically. Strategically,the choice was not sound.. Reminds me of Stoner and Hayden at Donnington some seasons back. They rolled the dice and instead of 11, the dice threw up 'snake eyes'.  Stoner can play it safe from here on in. Lorenzo has a mountain to climb, but is hugely capable of turning it around should Stoner blink.

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

They explain exactly why they made the choice in the above write up. What is there to theorise, you have it from the team. No gamble, no dice rolling. The soft tyre performed better in Quali and morning warm up, Bridgestone said it would last the race so they used it.

A calculated decision based on data which didn't work as expected. Not a gamble. The Stoner/Hayden choice was a gamble that it would rain again and it didn't. Different thing entirely.

Reply to this Topic
Chilliesauce69

Aug 11

nothing worse than tyres ruining your race hey. 

Reply to this Topic
vtwinmark

Aug 10

vtwinmark says:

Scary

Two posts on a 'Lorenzo' thread and two refererences to your hero Elbowz?

Find your infatuation a a little scary really......

The tyre wasn't 'gone' or 'ruined'....it was simply the wrong tyre. As the story states it looked better than the hard tyre of Spies after the race.

May have been a disaster in relationship to the championship, but he still beat his team mate eh?..........

Reply to this Topic
vtwinmark

Aug 10

vtwinmark says:

Elbowz11

I see you have deleted the two posts mentioned in my previous comment...why?

You have a right to your opinion, just as I have a right to question it.

If you can't stand by your beliefs, perhaps you should think twice about airing them.

You Ben Spies fans are a bloody touchy lot!

Reply to this Topic
motoking

Jul 11

motoking says:

HEY HEY HEY

LORENZO DOESN'T HAS APPETITE ANYMORE IN THIS SEASON. you know, he already kick out 9 times WC ass. he is choking it carefully right now. who care about WC this year??? he is no. 1 in yamaha right now and nobody in all of yamaha factory or satelite can match him! NEXT YEAR WOULD BE BLOODY RACE!!!

Reply to this Topic
BMEP

Jul 08

BMEP says:

Take note

A few of things to note about this race - Cal, a big black front tyre mark (30 foot? long) leading into the dirt. Dani, a big black front tyre mark (30 foot? long) leading into the dirt. Both mystified as to why this should be?!? Casey riding behind Dani when Dani slid off, Casey's comment - he was mystified why Dani went down, Dani didn't do anything wrong! These tyre rules we have are great aren't they?

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices