Skip to content

Discuss This Valentino Rossi and Ducati hint at aluminium chassis switch MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Valentino Rossi and Ducati hint at aluminium chassis switch

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Valentino Rossi and Ducati hint at aluminium chassis switch

Valentino Rossi and Ducati technical boss Filippo Preziosi have both dropped strong hints that the Bologna factory is seriously contemplating a drastic change in philosophy by switching to a conventional aluminium frame in the future. Ever since Rossi first rode the 2011 Desmosedici in Valencia last November, he has complained of a lack of front-end feeling and understeer. As his complaints about...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (18 August 2011 12:14)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
simplebystander

Oct 10

The 1199

The 1199 has a aluminium chassis - fair enough its not a traditional deltabox, being a stressed airbox type like the MotoGP bike, but still - it could be debated that the change would actually make the MotoGP bike more similar to the 1199.  But anyway - I really don't think the correlation matters much - if it did, there would be no way that the 1199 would have a single sided swinging arm.

Reply to this Topic
AdieMonk

Jul 09

AdieMonk says:

"There's a good bit in MCN this week about the changes they have made and how similar they are to the Yamaha"

Yeah, I read that article and noticed how it also said, and I quote "The parts all look very similar to an M1, but in truth they are also the same as all the other makes of bikes in pit lane".  Not just a copy of the M1 then.  Arguably, they are copying the Honda, or Suzuki, or my old FZR from the 90's?  It had exactly the same setup (OK not exactly the same, but the principle was the same just a lot less trick), so they are hardly using the cutting edge technology that makes the M1 what it is today.

Ducati want a bike that multiple riders can race quickly, not just one rider.  Why does it need to be so radically different to everything else?  I don'e see people on here knocking Honda or Yamaha for using the same alluminium twin-spar frame technology and 16-(pneumatic) valve 4 cylinder engines, or radial calipers and USD forks.

Would you prefer they ask Messrs Dyson and Sinclair for design input, just to keep it different regardless of how successful it is?

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
CosherB

Apr 06

CosherB says:

I wonder if elbowz will be able to furnish us with the Ben Spies angle on this story .....    lol

Ducati will be plundering the Philip Morris reserves again if they are going to develop two different chassis at the same time.  It is an 'ideal' situation for sure, but at what cost?  I can't believe that divided resources and R&D is going to make a competitive bike one way or the other.  They should make their mind up on the technical direction and stick with it - if they've finally decided that they can't make the carbon monocoque to work after the GP9/10/11/11.1 incarnations, and a completed GP12, then focus 100% on the getting an aluminium frame to work.  Anyone fancy a Pramac ride next season if it turns up with a carbon frame?

I also assume, therefore, that all the positive feedback about the GP12 that Ducati were so quick to publish back in April after the Jerez test was corporate bullsh*t?

Reply to this Topic
RawDawg

Jan 09

RawDawg says:

I don't strong hints

from Preziosi - the guy who is actually doing the designing. It's more of dancing around the question.

Reply to this Topic
RawDawg

Jan 09

RawDawg says:

On motomatters

It's being reported some French journo has supposedly uncovered that Ducati has contracted a third party to build them an aluminum chassis. I'll be waiting for the pictures or until it breaks cover before I get excited.

Reply to this Topic
boybilly1967

Dec 08

boybilly1967 says:

Would be a big about turn as Ducati have never used beam frames on their production bike. Amazing what having Rossi riding for you can do if this story turns out to be true,

Reply to this Topic
elefantman

Nov 03

elefantman says:

It might work on a roadbike/Superbike

As anyone who watches SBK and MotoGP would realise, these two classes of racing bike are different beasts entirely. You only have to look at how superbike riders like Crutchlow and Toseland have gone backwards when they moved to MotoGP. So there's every chance that an aluminium 'stressed airbox' frame will work just fine on the 1199. The riding style is entirely different from riding a MotoGP bike and perhaps stiffness is all, without the crucial feedback issues of MotoGP. Bayliss has race-tested the 1199 and turned in some stunning times. Now, Bayliss is an Aussie balls-out rider like Stoner who can probably make lemonade from the most bitter of Ducati lemons - but still, there might be something in it.

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

What other options do they have. Brno seems to have been a big pointer that they have given up on the GP12 for next year. Neither rider tested it, both concentrating on the 800. That seems a pointless direction when this year is over for Ducati.

After the initial test they said that the GP12 was a success, hence the GP11.1 for Rossi at Assen. That didn't work well after they tried it, the reason given was because of the 800 engine, different characteristics etc making the frame behave differently.

So if the 800 behaves differently in the GP12 chassis from the 1000 engine it was originally designed for, what is the value in continuing to test the 800 version with a view to learning and data gathering for next season. Surely it will tell them nothing about how the 1000 will behave in that chassis, based upon their previous reason for the GP11.1 not working as expected. So will all this development work be for nothing.

All the Brno test seems to have done is give the perception that they are well and truly in a hole. The reality may be something else and maybe the GP12 has been shelved for a new design, which may explain why they weren't bothering with it in Brno. No point testing the GP12 further if it is not going to be used, may as well carry on testing this year's bike if no new chassis is available at the moment.

Who knows, but the outcome will be interesting.

Reply to this Topic
Chilliesauce69

Aug 11

personally i feel it is a shame they dont go back to the trellis frame.  Guess we'll see the outcome soon enough though.

Reply to this Topic
Adeninja

Mar 10

Adeninja says:

about time

They may as well give it a go , but the problem is have Ducati ever built a bike with an alloy frame , will take time to get right , flex where they want it , but then again the Ducati turning into a Yamaha , well they do have Rossis pit crew Burgess and co

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices