Skip to content

General Assen WSB 2012...help please ? General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Assen WSB 2012...help please ?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

goldenboyfz1

Dec 07

goldenboyfz1 says:

Assen WSB 2012...help please ?

Hiya everyone,

A mate and I are trying to plan our very first european away race. Weve decided to go to the 2012 Assen World Superbike round. As far as I can gather its in April.

Ive driven load son the continent, but never ridden.... so if Id welcome any and all advice thanks.. Also, if any of you have actually been to Assen, and have any tips on where to stay..camp or even sit.. Id welcome your views too...

So far, we are thinking of going on the friday from Harwich..and coming home on the monday morning... 

Thanks everyone !!

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (21 August 2011 18:10)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
babyblade41

Aug 05

babyblade41 says:

Assen

Used to be awesome about 10 years ago, haven't been since. Don't camp on the onsite camping, but a road leading up to the track has private houses that have small fields at the back. Absolutely brilliant. Only about a dozen tents on each field but food and showers were superb.

They also used to close the town centre down in the centre of Assen on the saturday night and it became a huge bike party, live bands table beer service

I left my purse in the field one year and 2 weeks later it found it's way back to me. Someone picked it up found my barclaycard and contacted them who in turn contacted me. Absoulutely not a cent missin.

Top weekend top people and top racing.

They didn't sting you to get in and nowhere was off limits.

Only downside it rained alot.

The track has been changed since then so not sure what it's like now

Reply to this Topic
crustybiker

Apr 04

crustybiker says:

assen

well the last 2 assen meets have been dry and sunny

best tip is do not go to fast as they can take your bike away but generally it is a good trip loads of bikers on the way there and back so go and enjoy yourself

Reply to this Topic
Davecannagetkneedown

Aug 11

Assen racing is good

Fantastic circuit to visit no messing in and out like you do here in uk well worth visit bin several times myself.  I stop in a town called Mepel where a few others do the same.  It about 25 mile south of Assen and reason why stop there is the wonderfull fast (emptied tank on sp1 there and back) sweeping road that follows the canal.  Good for a beer in the town as well.  always get ferry from hull night crossing full bikers going same way.  Will get you details of digs i stop at which is good and owner (Hank) lets you put bikes in garage.  Top weekend.

Reply to this Topic
goldenboyfz1

Dec 07

goldenboyfz1 says:

many thanks

Im getting excited already.... Ive heard that there is a great atmosphere !!.... thanks for your comments so far..

Reply to this Topic
skycat

Jul 05

skycat says:

goldenboy

Assen is fantastic, I been there a couple of times back in 05 and 06. 

Both occassions we stopped over in Edam so we did the Afsluitdijk (dam) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afsluitdijk

Roads are great, but just watch your speed as already mentioned. 

Reply to this Topic
Davecannagetkneedown

Aug 11

Going to Assen

Hi I got name of digs I have stopped at many times before over last 15 years not been for while now but cant imagine it changed hands cos it a family run place.  It called De Poort Van Drenthe.  It comes straight up on google for hotels in Meppel.  You can see it all for yourself there.  It right accross from train station and unlike here it very reliable can go to Assen or Amsterdam for few quid.  Suggest you get booked as many go every year.  Check your map there much better A roads to Meppel than boring motorway takes bit more time but no police.  Well worth the prep.  Check out the bar next to Lord Nelsons they have a Damn good game with big tree stump and nails but dont let locals in on the game they had to much practice and it will cost you.  Plus people there dont go out till late (after 10pm).  The bar across from hotel good to with live bands,  had a cracking music fest on last time I went.  What more to ask for! Worth getting ferry thurs night to land Meppel fri aft chil bit get tickets on sat (cheaper than here) come back monday you 'll find two days not enough.  Hope helps.   

Reply to this Topic
jorro

Feb 12

jorro says:

Assen

Hello,

I live in Holland, and i can give you some info about a weekend wsbk or motogp.

If you like to go out and party, you'll better go to the motogp race. There is much more to do in the town of Assen the day before the race, during "the night of Assen". I am sure you'll like it !

If you go to the wsbk, you'll find out it is a little less crowded, and the things organized in the town, are not as big as they are during motogp. Wsbk is more for the "true" race fanatics, and cheaper !

If you travel from Hoek van Holland to Assen, it is about 250 km. And from Calais it is about 500 km. I would take the ferry from Dover to Calais, because that is much cheaper, and faster.

There are a lot of campingsite's around the circuit, and during wsbk you won't have a problem finding a place to stay. You can google them, and even reserve, but that is not really necessary for wsbk. Motogp is a different story.

Be carefull with speeding in Holland !

During weekends like these, police are driving undercover cars and bikes, aquipped with hidden camera's. And those bastards will try hard to ruin your weekend ! (trust me, i know) If they pull you over and fine you, you'll have to pay immediately, or the bastards take your bike.

I hope this can help you, and you'll have nice weekend

Regards

Ps the best spot on the circuit to wacht the race is on the hill between "ossebroeken" and "strubben". Cheapest tickets, but the best view !

Reply to this Topic
emperortang

Jul 10

emperortang says:

Assen

As said in all posts great place to go. Did moto gp there last year. Stayed in Groningen at the hampshire plaza hotel,about 20 mins from circuit. If same as gp meeting the practice day you can go anywhere at circuit to watch including all seated areas. Go into main grandstand on start finish line and listen to bikes go through there,like a tunnel,noise is class! If you have time ride across the afsluitdijk on the A7. 13 mile straight dual carraigeway across the sea with a popular cafe half way over. Use goog earth as some great little places to visit if you have the time. Enjoy mate.

Reply to this Topic
obewan

Mar 03

obewan says:

Groningen

Is about 20km north of Assen. it is a small city, university one so lots of young ladies - woo hoo.

Assen is a tiny town and cannot cope with the volume of folks for race weekend. We had to wait 4 hours to get served at a restaurant. Groningen has plenty and bars etc.

Nice cheap hotel is the Bastion - like a Travelodge but with a bar and restaurant. Cheap, clean, just off the ring road so easy access.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices