Skip to content

Ask an Expert where is the copper coming from Technical

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > where is the copper coming from

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

skikman

Nov 09

skikman says:

where is the copper coming from

hi all.i have an unbelievably hard to find parts for gilera sioux 50.it needs a barrel and piston.when i took the barrel off there is like fine copper filings around crank.nothing seems broke but where is it coming from?also anyone know of another bike that uses the same top end[spring mounted exhaust]

Attached images:

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (21 August 2011 19:07)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

bronze..

..fairly common material for needle roller bearing cages, has a lot of copper in it, looks a bit like copper, but harder due to iron content and gotta be capable of scoring a barrel or two.  Split the cases and get it ALL out of there.

Reply to this Topic
skikman

Nov 09

skikman says:

thick

sorry i dont mean to sound thick but when you say needle roller bearing cages are you talking about the bearing in the conrod where the piston is held on?do i replace it?

Reply to this Topic
smoto5

Mar 09

smoto5 says:

Needle roller bearings are fitted in

each end of the conrod on that bike, like most two stroke engines, one at the piston/little end/gudgeon pin and one at the big end/flywheel/crankshaft end, most likely the big end one has broken up into pieces and been ground into smaller pieces or part of it failed and the continued use of the bike causing all those fine particles you can see. Normal appearance unassembled is like a cage with thin rollers held in the gaps. You are likely to be looking at getting a conrod kit and then crankshaft split apart and rebuilt with the conrod kit. 

Reply to this Topic
skikman

Nov 09

skikman says:

thanks

thanks for that explanation.i kinda need thinks broken down and told that way.ok then i'll take engine out and give it ago.

Reply to this Topic
davi82a

Jul 11

davi82a says:

over 20 years of experience?

After all these years and u haven't done an engine rebuild. I'm only 18 and I even know my way around an engine. Why are you still faffing around with 50cc anyway. I grew out of them when I turned 17. The years of experience don't include push bikes mate. 

Reply to this Topic
skikman

Nov 09

skikman says:

experience???

the 20 years experience i have is only of riding.i did not post that i had 20 years experience with bikes some other[ass] did.im only just learning,and asking for help which alot of you good people give me.many thanks.

Reply to this Topic
soapes

May 10

soapes says:

Experience

I have over 20yrs experience riding and working on bikes, and I still come across things new that I don't know. Like the saying goes "you never stop learning." In my book it doesn't matter whether someones on a 50cc moped a sports bike or whatever, a bike is a bike if that's what you enjoy (working on or riding) then good for you.

People come to this forum and ask for help and advice, as a likeminded community I believe people should share advice and knowledge, not criticise others.

Apologies for bit of a rant, it annoys when people ask for help and are met with mockery.

Sorry can't be much help with the metal filing mystery, I'd guess it's as other have said though (big end bearing breaking up)

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices