You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > Strange indicator problem

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

flakmatt

Aug 11

flakmatt says:

Strange indicator problem

This is a problem I've been trying to work out for ages but can't get anywhere :doubt:

Basically the right indicators will both flash twice the speed when above 3000 revs. The left one is fine and all indicators work fine (so no blown bulbs)

I have a Haynes manual and can see that both the left and right indicator uses the same relay box so can't be that. Checked the battery and giving a good voltage (12.6). So I now have no idea. Any help would be really appreciated :smile

This is for a Suzuki Bandit GSF600 Y K1

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (21 August 2011 19:10)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

strange

Welcome with a strange one,have you seen both front right and back right flash fast at the same time? Or are you seeing just the front when riding.Also your battery is not giving good voltage for one in service but is ok for your problem.I suggest for now is to change your left hand bulbs with your right hand ones.

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Suzuki GSF 600 Bandit K1 2000?

Hi Flakmatt and welcome to the site:smile

If i am reading you right,your saying the indicators on the right hand side of your bike flash faster than the left side(is this the problem).If it is this and you think its the right side that's to fast,then as jaffa says you need to check both bulbs wattage in fact check them all.They should be 12volt 21watt's if there are any 6volt or higher than 12volt they will need replacing,same goes for the wattage,if it isn't 21w replace it.If you check all the bulbs and there all 12v 21w and none of then are double filament,(rear stop and tail light)then its either a bad earth,or a faulty relay,a faulty bulb(replace all four bulbs if you don't find it)or a wiring fault at the switch or in the loom.As far as the battery goes i would say 12.6volt is in the working parameters,12-8 12-5volt below that and it can start to become a problem.Good Luck

KCMC:tongue:  

Reply to this Topic
flakmatt

Aug 11

flakmatt says:

changing the bulbs

Thanks for the replies :smile

Yer it is both of them (had someone check behind me while riding at night).

I'll check all the bulbs now to see what they are, also after putting the battery back in the main relay fuse blew, is this normal? on my old bike I could take the battery in and out with no problems but it was a 125 so I don't know if that makes any difference :wacko:

Thanks again :biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
flakmatt

Aug 11

flakmatt says:

Bulb check

Just checked all of the bulbs and they are at 23W :blink:. These are aftermarket indicators and for some reason there is a 20w fuse in the indicator fuse box instead of a 15w (Its great buying a bike privately...)

The originals are rated at 21W so could this be the case but the guy I bought it off just didn't tell me it does that? I would have thought it would affect all 4 rather than just the right hand side? :wacko:

Reply to this Topic
flakmatt

Aug 11

flakmatt says:

earth

Turned out to be a bad earth in the back right indicator. Thanks for your help guys :smile

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Suzuki GSF 600 Bandit K1 2000?

Good to see you sorted it:tongue:could still be a good idea to replace the bulbs back to 21watt to stop any problems in the future,said it could be a bad earth:smile Good Luck

KCMC:tongue:

Reply to this Topic
davi82a

Jul 11

davi82a says:

possible solutions

had a similar issue with my cb250n. I inspected all the wires and connections. No difference so I replaced the relay. That seemed to nail it on the head. Of course, the  electrics are a lot more simple on a 250 but I hope this information helps anyway.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle