Skip to content

Ask an Expert Excessive vibration from VFR800Fi Technical

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > Excessive vibration from VFR800Fi

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

BDeakin

Aug 02

BDeakin says:

Excessive vibration from VFR800Fi

I currently ride a Honda VFR800Fi first registered in 1999. I have had it just under a year and it is low milegage, 15,000 miles. When I rev the engine whilst stationary and sitting on the bike I get a lot of vibration coming up through the saddle. This is between 6,000 and 7,000 revs only about half the maximum revs. You can also feel the vibration through the footpegs whilst in motion. Any idea what could be causing this as it does not seem normal for a VFR?:upset:

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (22 August 2011 13:31)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Honda VFR 800 Fi 1999

Hi BDeaken and welcome to the site

I must say,over the years i have owned several VFR800s all pre V-TEC (don't much like the V-TEC)and they all vibrate through the pegs a bit,but not what i would call excessive.But enough to put a foot asleep over 20-30miles.Has it got a standard exhaust can on it,most after market cans make then run a bit rough at the bottom end,and the vibes are a lot more noticeable in the mid range(horrible to ride with a can and free flow filter,would need a power commander to sort the fueling our) .If its excessive,then there is probably something wrong,dirty air filter and oil can cause poor running,if you can hear a clacking noise from under the fuel tank,its the diaphragm air control valve. Usually a good indication you need a new air filter.Good Luck

KCMC:tongue:  

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

Welcome

Bdeakin,most bikes have some vibration thats more noticable at certain revs than at others,has it allways been like this?.

Also has the bike had its valve clearences checked lately/at all as they'er due to be checked at 16000 miles,usally they're ok but if the mileage is incorrect then there might be a tappety sound/vibration.

Usually the older vfr's are pretty much bomb proof tbh with the exception of reg/rec and exhaust collectors,hope this is of some help,i'm sure someone else can enlighten us more.:smile

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

VFR Vibrations

My 40,000-mile 1998 model has some vibration but nothing similar to what you are describing - more akin to that mentioned by kcmc (who really knows his stuff by the way) but it's not bad enough for me to suffer numb feet or hands.  Having said that, I do not sit on my bikes with the engine spinninng at 6,000 prm.

One point to add to what kcmc has said, there has been mention on VFR forums on a couple of occasions that balancing the throttle bodies / butterfly valves is often beneficial for bikes that are running rough or experiencing vibrations.  Perhaps kcmc has an opinion or some experience on that. 

You haven't mentioned the history of your bike but with that milage you are going to be due for the vale check on your next service.  This may also make a difference but, from what I have read, they are not usually that far out - if at all - at that mileage.        

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

Probably just the way it is

I test rode a pristine 2006 model a while back and yes, vibey around 7 krpm - enough to make you regret that last cup of tea...  Mind you, I didn't like to keep the revs their anyway because mid throttle pick up through the VTEC transition seemed to be a bit of a lottery, so enjoy the bottom and top ends as you will.  It was fun to blast through the dreaded 7-8krpm on wide open throttle though... 

Reply to this Topic
fuzzrr

Sep 06

fuzzrr says:

I had an '08 VFR v-tec as a curtosy bike.

I did a 30 minute motorway stint at 80 mph and couldnt feel my hands after it. Along with snatchy throttle, crap dual brakes, impossible to put luggage on. Kinda left it in the garage resigned to the fact that they are pointless and crap.

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

Harsh!!!

Okay, it didn't steer, linked brakes were awful, VTEC conspired to make a bike motor feel as flat as a car's (albeit half an american V8 muscle car motor), but there's a quirky charm, a pretty swingarm, free luggage, a nice fit and finish, pub techno bragging rights, and of course the OP probably quite likes his...

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

V-Tec VFR's

Long before I had my 800fi I test rode a v-tec when looking for a new bike.  I really didn't like it.  The chassis was fine but the engine was flat and I didn't like the way that the v-tec cut in.  At the time I settled on a new Blackbird instead.

My 800fi I picked up as a 'second bike' some years later and I love it.  The chassis is a generation older than the t-tec so I guess if you rode both bikes back to back you would notice the improvements the later machine but the engine on the 800fi is better in my opinion.  (And I don't have to spare a thought about camchains)  

The v-tec / non v-tec debate has been raging ever since the later bike weas released.  I think that are both are very good machines and, as mentioned by bbstrikesagain, they are well made.  But, my personal preference is for the earlier model although I have not ridden a post 2006 bike.  I believe that the v-tec system on these models was re-worked to make it smoother and the transition from two to four valves less prominent.  .      

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle