Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

apexgrinder

Jul 11

apexgrinder says:

Female only trackday

Fair play to Suzuki for putting on this event:

Girls on track for a top day with Suzuki

I think it's great providing some extra resources for female bikers, but did they have to run it as a girls only event?

Thoughts?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (22 August 2011 20:24)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
fuzzrr

Sep 06

fuzzrr says:

preunit says:

"LB, do you have a sense of humour?"

Of course he does (it's just a bit twisted), he's laughing at you all right now, he gets off on winding people up!.............. simples.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sad isn't it. I bet his wife and kids are so proud!!

"Wise men talk because they have something to say.

Fools talk because they have to say something"

(MrT, 2011)

Reply to this Topic
StealthSV

Feb 08

StealthSV says:

Apexgrinder

Well,u asked for peoples thoughts and u sure as hell got em eh!! :lol:

Just my tuppence worth.. I wonder LB, have u done a trackday this year or recently? I've done a fair few over the past decade or so including a couple this year. Now, I consider myself to be a fairly competent track rider and have no problem wazzin' round in the fast group on any track in the UK, but these days the fast group have a lot of race teams in getting in some cheap practice so I tend to book inters. That is causing a problem IMO for TDO's because if they sell 180 tickets for a day at Silverstone, for example, u can bet 140 or more of those people wanna go inters too! Obviously they can't all go in group 2 so the TDO's have to make decisions as to how to split these people up.
Some TDO's have even started running 4 groups to deal with it which is cutting all our track time to 15 min sessions instead of 20! :upset:
When I did Donington in June I, along with several of my friends, got put in group1! I had no problem with this, pride is not an issue, but u have to consider that I am then wazzin' round Donny in the same group as some people, male or female, who are on their 1st trackday and prob shittin bricks! I know I was on my 1st one :wacko:
Maybe, instead of a women only trackday, Suzuki/Focused Events should have ran a day where one group was for women only and the other 2 mixed but NO race/track bikes! By doing that the women would have the choice weather to mix it with the blokes or go in the women only group. Also, this would mean wives or girlfriends O/H's would be able to be there too to enjoy the day and support their O/H's on their 1st day!

As I said, just my opinion but I think that any initiative that gets more people, male or female, on track to enjoy what it has to offer has to be a good thing!!

Reply to this Topic
babyblade41

Aug 05

babyblade41 says:

stealth

that's a far better idea, It seems the fast group does have a lot of race chaps in and inters seem way over loaded.

I did say rather than ladies only have a complete nervous novice group. There are quite a few men out there too who are extremely nervous.

It all goes to more people doing track days and making it cheaper

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

"Sad isn't it. I bet his wife and kids are so proud!"!

yep,i bet he's a paragon of vertue a home, being a traffic warden? and all, just don't let him near a keyboard.:unsure::laugh:

Reply to this Topic
Bramley Bim

Dec 07

Bramley Bim says:

Some good and some offkilter responses here. 

I agree with Baby Blade that before we even consider track days us girlies need to consider how we're going to our bike there.  I can remember when I needed my mate for "Kwaka Rescue" last year and it both he and Mr B stuggled to get the bike into the back of the van! So - ergo - will need blokes to accessorise and do the lifting!

As for the girls only aspect - I would love to sign up .....but its September I believe so chances the weather won't be so good - I'm a professional wuss in the cold! ...and I'm scared...

I ride with the boys but I've not got the experience they have so I am always the slowest - so a girls only trackday would hopefully give me more confidence on the bike - making the assumption other girls who ride are in the same mindset.  I do have Mr B and a good mate always helping by slowing down and showing me the lines. But I feel I'm still a novice.

However for a track day, from my experience when I've been  when Da Boyz are riding, I do think I'd be intimidated to go on track with a mainly male group. Mainly because I think, possibly due to experience - I ony reached my 3rd biker birthday in July - but also because I think per se I'm not as a confident rider.

I also think that more blokes have either a track bike or track fairing - whereas I would be reluctant to take my little lady on the track albeit I wouldn't think I'd be treating it as a race - just a twisty road.

So for me a girls only day does have it's attraction - I'm definately in support of it and  think if Mr B did get a track bike I'd be more inclined to sign up and take that just because I wouldn't want to ruin my road bike. Apart from that I do think its an intimidation thing - I do think I'd be more confident/comfortable riding with other women. 

Reply to this Topic
slower

Mar 10

slower says:

I must admit

I have to go along with Mr. Gobshite, ER SORRY Londonbill in one sense.

It seems we're promoting girly only track days because the fairer sex are a bit nervous about being caught up in the heat of a race.

May I say that this is exactly the reason I, and a lot of blokes like me have not done track days either, so in that sense he is right, that this apprehension is NOT something just Women go through and to suggest that it is, is a little bit patronising tbh.

I think the way to go is novice track days for beginners only, and unless I'm mistaken, such things do exist.

Fuzzr.

Thankyou for pointing out that I am new on this forum, but that does not mean I am any less entitled to an opinion than you.

To be fair, you do come across as someone who is very used to getting his own way.

Reply to this Topic
babyblade41

Aug 05

babyblade41 says:

I think consensus

of opinion is that the day being run by Suzuki and Focused event can only be a good thing, but ideally adding a group to the general trackdays would be far better.

As said I've only done 2 trackdays and I ride a very old ZXR 400, so binning it won't be too much of a disaster and I got a complete set of fairings very cheaply.

It is intimidating, my first a few weeks ago was terrifying and the day itself didn't go swimmingly. Twice I nearly got taken out by inconsiderate riding, both times by the same lad who got a right tonking for it. But that aside I gained a lot of confidence back again which had been lost somewhere, and also got to know my bike a whole lot better.So I booked another at the gP circuit at Silverstone. I still felt very nervous but by the end of the day started to really enjoy it.

I will definately do more and would like to do another before the end of year, but oH has got a leaky fork problem and thanks to Stealth he wants to get some jobs done with the right people. Cost being a big factor.

I think the way to go is extra groups on a normal day would be better than single sex. Don't under estimate women they can still be intimidating trust me they frighten me half the time and I belong to the same species:shock:

Reply to this Topic
Richnotrich

Apr 11

Richnotrich says:

Come on Gizza!

As londonbill you say you have done a trackday, but as slower you say you haven't. Whats going on?

Reply to this Topic
fuzzrr

Sep 06

fuzzrr says:

Slower

If I am 'used to getting my own way', why have I repeatedly said on this thread that CHOICE for people is a good thing?? Yet again you dont seem to digest a single thing you read!

There are trackdays for novices, there are trackdays for men and women, there is now the option for trackdays for women...... 

Now, for the life of me I really cant see what the problem is!  There is a choice for everyone. And the female only trackday was just filling a gap to provide for some people that want to do it in their own space.

And before Bill pipes up again saying they should use the novice group. Have you been on a trackday lately?  Places do get so limited that sometimes, even the guys that would normally run in the advanced group would run in the novices just to get some track time..... Not exactly ideal for anyone doing their first track day is it?

Reply to this Topic
slower

Mar 10

slower says:

Fuzzr

My problem is not your opinion.

Both of our views have merit but as soon as I expressed mine earlier in this thread, you immediately gunned me down implying that I was some sort of troll.

This leads me to believe that you have an issue with people dissagreeing with you, which makes you as bad as loudmouth bill but that's just my opinion

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices